SP2 - Now DVD/CD-RW reads dvds, but not CD-R or Audio CD

Hello in there.

Recently - after downloading sp2 but not sure that caused it - my HP
zd7000 stopped reading and writing data and audio CDs. It still reads
DVDs - both movies and data.

I'm running XP MCE2004 (with SP2), and the DVD/CDRW is an HL-DT-ST
RW/DVD GCC-4241N.

At a friend's suggestion, I went to device manager and uninstalled the
DVD/CD-RW and rebooted, but after it re-recognized the drive, my
problem remained.

I'd be very grateful to anyone with a suggestion. It's under warranty,
but I'd hate to be without my computer for a couple weeks, and it
doesn't seem like a hardware problem.

Thanks for your time.
7 answers Last reply
More about reads dvds audio

    Hi Tim,

    I am experiencing the same problem. (I am running sp2, but, I'm not sure if
    that is where the problem started.)

    I would be interested in knowing if you found a solution.

    Thanks

    "Tim Miles" wrote:

    > Hello in there.
    >
    > Recently - after downloading sp2 but not sure that caused it - my HP
    > zd7000 stopped reading and writing data and audio CDs. It still reads
    > DVDs - both movies and data.
    >
    > I'm running XP MCE2004 (with SP2), and the DVD/CDRW is an HL-DT-ST
    > RW/DVD GCC-4241N.
    >
    > At a friend's suggestion, I went to device manager and uninstalled the
    > DVD/CD-RW and rebooted, but after it re-recognized the drive, my
    > problem remained.
    >
    > I'd be very grateful to anyone with a suggestion. It's under warranty,
    > but I'd hate to be without my computer for a couple weeks, and it
    > doesn't seem like a hardware problem.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    I also have a GCC-4241N. Since installing SP2, it will read, but it is
    VERY unreliable burnings CD-RWs. I have tried different speed medias
    to no avail. If someone solves this, please email me or post it here.

    Thanks,

    Brooks

    --
    brooksrimes
    brooksrimes's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=8244

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?= Wrote:
    > Hi Tim,
    >
    > I am experiencing the same problem. (I am running sp2, but, I'm not
    > sure if
    > that is where the problem started.)
    >
    > I would be interested in knowing if you found a solution.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Tim Miles" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello in there.
    > >
    > > Recently - after downloading sp2 but not sure that caused it - my HP
    > > zd7000 stopped reading and writing data and audio CDs. It still
    > reads
    > > DVDs - both movies and data.
    > >
    > > I'm running XP MCE2004 (with SP2), and the DVD/CDRW is an HL-DT-ST
    > > RW/DVD GCC-4241N.
    > >
    > > At a friend's suggestion, I went to device manager and uninstalled
    > the
    > > DVD/CD-RW and rebooted, but after it re-recognized the drive, my
    > > problem remained.
    > >
    > > I'd be very grateful to anyone with a suggestion. It's under
    > warranty,
    > > but I'd hate to be without my computer for a couple weeks, and it
    > > doesn't seem like a hardware problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your time.

    I have the same cd drive, XP Pro, service pack 2, and the exact same
    problem as the OP. Any ideas or solutions will be appreciated.

    Steve

    --
    ak_hermitPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    have you tried searching HP for a fix?

    While sipping a glass of wine, I read that ak_hermit wrote in

    > =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?= Wrote:
    >> Hi Tim,
    >>
    >> I am experiencing the same problem. (I am running sp2, but, I'm not
    >> sure if
    >> that is where the problem started.)
    >>
    >> I would be interested in knowing if you found a solution.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> "Tim Miles" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello in there.
    >> >
    >>> Recently - after downloading sp2 but not sure that caused it - my HP
    >>> zd7000 stopped reading and writing data and audio CDs. It still
    >> reads
    >>> DVDs - both movies and data.
    >> >
    >>> I'm running XP MCE2004 (with SP2), and the DVD/CDRW is an HL-DT-ST
    >>> RW/DVD GCC-4241N.
    >> >
    >>> At a friend's suggestion, I went to device manager and uninstalled
    >> the
    >>> DVD/CD-RW and rebooted, but after it re-recognized the drive, my
    >>> problem remained.
    >> >
    >>> I'd be very grateful to anyone with a suggestion. It's under
    >> warranty,
    >>> but I'd hate to be without my computer for a couple weeks, and it
    >>> doesn't seem like a hardware problem.
    >> >
    >>> Thanks for your time.
    >> >

    > I have the same cd drive, XP Pro, service pack 2, and the exact same
    > problem as the OP. Any ideas or solutions will be appreciated.
    >
    > Steve

    Yes, I have searched HP, and have been scouring the Internet for 3 days
    now. I have found many posts about the problem, but no real solution as
    yet. I am trying to determine whether it is an actual hardware issue, a
    driver issue, or what. I am still under warranty for hardware, but I
    need to use the computer at work for another week before I can take it in.

    I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, drive cleaning, check disk,
    spyware cleaning utilities, anti virus software, etc.

    Steve

    D@annyBoy wrote:
    > have you tried searching HP for a fix?
    >
    > While sipping a glass of wine, I read that ak_hermit wrote in
    >

    >>=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?= Wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi Tim,
    >>>
    >>>I am experiencing the same problem. (I am running sp2, but, I'm not
    >>>sure if
    >>>that is where the problem started.)
    >>>
    >>>I would be interested in knowing if you found a solution.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >>>reads

    >>>the

    >>>warranty,

    >>I have the same cd drive, XP Pro, service pack 2, and the exact same
    >>problem as the OP. Any ideas or solutions will be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Steve

    Hi: I did a restore going back 2 months. It worked.
    Joan

    "ak_hermit" <ak_hermit.1rm4qa@> wrote in message

    > =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?= Wrote:
    >> Hi Tim,
    >>
    >> I am experiencing the same problem. (I am running sp2, but, I'm not
    >> sure if
    >> that is where the problem started.)
    >>
    >> I would be interested in knowing if you found a solution.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> "Tim Miles" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello in there.
    >> >
    >> > Recently - after downloading sp2 but not sure that caused it - my HP
    >> > zd7000 stopped reading and writing data and audio CDs. It still
    >> reads
    >> > DVDs - both movies and data.
    >> >
    >> > I'm running XP MCE2004 (with SP2), and the DVD/CDRW is an HL-DT-ST
    >> > RW/DVD GCC-4241N.
    >> >
    >> > At a friend's suggestion, I went to device manager and uninstalled
    >> the
    >> > DVD/CD-RW and rebooted, but after it re-recognized the drive, my
    >> > problem remained.
    >> >
    >> > I'd be very grateful to anyone with a suggestion. It's under
    >> warranty,
    >> > but I'd hate to be without my computer for a couple weeks, and it
    >> > doesn't seem like a hardware problem.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your time.
    >> >

    > I have the same cd drive, XP Pro, service pack 2, and the exact same
    > problem as the OP. Any ideas or solutions will be appreciated.
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > --
    > ak_hermitPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    I have the same problem and trying to solve nowadays...

    "Joan and Alan" <jraynes@cfl.rr.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi: I did a restore going back 2 months. It worked.
    > Joan
    >
    > "ak_hermit" <ak_hermit.1rm4qa@> wrote in message
    >>
    >> =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?= Wrote:
    >>> Hi Tim,
    >>>
    >>> I am experiencing the same problem. (I am running sp2, but, I'm not
    >>> sure if
    >>> that is where the problem started.)
    >>>
    >>> I would be interested in knowing if you found a solution.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >>> reads

    >>> the

    >>> warranty,

    >> I have the same cd drive, XP Pro, service pack 2, and the exact same
    >> problem as the OP. Any ideas or solutions will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    >> --
    >> ak_hermitPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

DVD Audio CD-Rom Windows XP