External USB Harddrive problem...

I have a Maxtor One Touch 120gb external hardrive. It's been running fine
until now. Whenever i turn it on now i get this error message

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and
Windows does not recognize it."

It recommends I disconnect the device and try again, but that doesn't work.
I've uninstalled the drivers and software and reinstalled it, but I keep
getting the same message.
Does anyone know what I should do? Could it be that I might have to edit
some values in the registry?
I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Luis, disconnect all the USB devices and then rt click on
MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>USB Controllers. Expand
and rt click on each one and choose Uninstall. Restart and let WinXP
reinstall them.
Reconnect all your USB devices.

Rich Barry wrote:
> Luis, disconnect all the USB devices and then rt click on
> MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>USB Controllers. Expand
> and rt click on each one and choose Uninstall. Restart and let WinXP
> reinstall them.
> Reconnect all your USB devices.
> "Luis R." <LuisR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I'd be really interested if this works, as I have a similar problem with
my iRiver H340. One PC has exactly the same error message as Luis R,
and has never worked, however it works fine with my Vaio laptop so I
know that it is not the iRiver.

Tim