Mad Dog USB DVD burner not recognized

Hello,

I purchased a Mad Dog MegaStor 7-in-1 DVD burner and am having problems
getting xp to recognize it. The burner is brand new (i.e. its not an
old product I'm just now installing). It has its own power supply and
when I connect it I see the dialog popup about new hardware found. It
finishes installing and that's it. I've tried re-booting (hard and
soft) and still have the same problem.

When I first looked at the device manager it gave me a code 10 (device
can not start) under the USB controllers section. This error appears
intermittently. It is also listed under disk drives as a USB 2.0
Storage Device. I can sort of understand that but I thought it should
be listed under the DVD/CD-ROM section.

When I look under disk management the drive is not listed. Its listed
in the device manager (saying that it is working properly) but not under
disk management.

I've tried Mad Dogs site and searching newsgroups for info but I can't
seem to find a solution with something I have not tried. I have Windows
XP SP2 and everything else is the latest or has been updated (dell
inspiron 9100 laptop).

Does anyone have any solutions for me? Like I said the device manager
says everything is fine but the drive is not recognized under disk
management or windows explorer. I'd really like to get this drive to
work. I'd hate to purchase another unit and only have the same problem.
I've read where other people have problems getting xp to recognize
their ext hd's but have not read when their solutions were.

Thanks for your help!

Dave.

I also purchased this Mad Dog burner and the exact same problem is happening
to me. I plan on contacting Mad Dog customer service about this Monday. I
will post any info that I get but if anyone else has any suggestions please
respond. Thanks

Mike

"Dave Broer" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I purchased a Mad Dog MegaStor 7-in-1 DVD burner and am having problems
> getting xp to recognize it. The burner is brand new (i.e. its not an
> old product I'm just now installing). It has its own power supply and
> when I connect it I see the dialog popup about new hardware found. It
> finishes installing and that's it. I've tried re-booting (hard and
> soft) and still have the same problem.
>
> When I first looked at the device manager it gave me a code 10 (device
> can not start) under the USB controllers section. This error appears
> intermittently. It is also listed under disk drives as a USB 2.0
> Storage Device. I can sort of understand that but I thought it should
> be listed under the DVD/CD-ROM section.
>
> When I look under disk management the drive is not listed. Its listed
> in the device manager (saying that it is working properly) but not under
> disk management.
>
> I've tried Mad Dogs site and searching newsgroups for info but I can't
> seem to find a solution with something I have not tried. I have Windows
> XP SP2 and everything else is the latest or has been updated (dell
> inspiron 9100 laptop).
>
> Does anyone have any solutions for me? Like I said the device manager
> says everything is fine but the drive is not recognized under disk
> management or windows explorer. I'd really like to get this drive to
> work. I'd hate to purchase another unit and only have the same problem.
> I've read where other people have problems getting xp to recognize
> their ext hd's but have not read when their solutions were.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Dave.

I talked to the tech support of Mad Dog and the tech support of Micro
Center(where I purchased it). They both decided that it was a bad drive so I
exchanged it for a new one and it worked as advertised with none of the
issues that I ran into with the first one. Hope this helps

Mike Mann

"Dave Broer" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I purchased a Mad Dog MegaStor 7-in-1 DVD burner and am having problems
> getting xp to recognize it. The burner is brand new (i.e. its not an
> old product I'm just now installing). It has its own power supply and
> when I connect it I see the dialog popup about new hardware found. It
> finishes installing and that's it. I've tried re-booting (hard and
> soft) and still have the same problem.
>
> When I first looked at the device manager it gave me a code 10 (device
> can not start) under the USB controllers section. This error appears
> intermittently. It is also listed under disk drives as a USB 2.0
> Storage Device. I can sort of understand that but I thought it should
> be listed under the DVD/CD-ROM section.
>
> When I look under disk management the drive is not listed. Its listed
> in the device manager (saying that it is working properly) but not under
> disk management.
>
> I've tried Mad Dogs site and searching newsgroups for info but I can't
> seem to find a solution with something I have not tried. I have Windows
> XP SP2 and everything else is the latest or has been updated (dell
> inspiron 9100 laptop).
>
> Does anyone have any solutions for me? Like I said the device manager
> says everything is fine but the drive is not recognized under disk
> management or windows explorer. I'd really like to get this drive to
> work. I'd hate to purchase another unit and only have the same problem.
> I've read where other people have problems getting xp to recognize
> their ext hd's but have not read when their solutions were.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Dave.

I just installed one here on XP pro, working fine.

Make sure you install the driver CD before you connect and power up the
drive.

Nicely working unit, burns fast :)