  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 28, 2004 2:50:14 AM

I purchased a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ to replace my trusty old ECS K7S5A since
it finally died.

I see that the 7VM400M-RZ does not have hard drive S.M.A.R.T. turned on.
The BIOS version E3 in my board will not let me do the Cntrl-F1 from within
the BIOS like what the Gigabyte FAQ talks about.

Is this by design or am I doing it wrong?

I know that this is a budget board but jees! Even my $50 ECS board had
SMART as an option and it's already ancient by comparison.

More about : cntrl 7vm400m

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2004 2:18:03 AM

Gonzo wrote:
> I purchased a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ to replace my trusty old ECS K7S5A since
> it finally died.
>
> I see that the 7VM400M-RZ does not have hard drive S.M.A.R.T. turned on.
> The BIOS version E3 in my board will not let me do the Cntrl-F1 from within
> the BIOS like what the Gigabyte FAQ talks about.
>
> Is this by design or am I doing it wrong?
>
> I know that this is a budget board but jees! Even my $50 ECS board had
> SMART as an option and it's already ancient by comparison.

Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from
within any sublevels?

Ryan
September 29, 2004 8:21:54 AM

"Ryan J. Paque" <rpaque@delete.this.part.wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Gonzo wrote:
>> I purchased a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ to replace my trusty old ECS K7S5A
>> since it finally died.
>>
>> I see that the 7VM400M-RZ does not have hard drive S.M.A.R.T. turned on.
>> The BIOS version E3 in my board will not let me do the Cntrl-F1 from
>> within the BIOS like what the Gigabyte FAQ talks about.
>>
>> Is this by design or am I doing it wrong?
>>
>> I know that this is a budget board but jees! Even my $50 ECS board had
>> SMART as an option and it's already ancient by comparison.
>
> Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from within
> any sublevels?
>
> Ryan

Im hitting it from the main BIOS Screen and all I get the F1 help screen.

I tried it at boot up also and all it does is cause the keyboard to beep at
me.

I think that Gigabyte needs to change their FAQ to reflect that not all
their boards have this option as it appears that mine doesn't have it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 1, 2004 7:12:00 AM

Gonzo wrote:

>> Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from within
>>any sublevels?
>>
>> Ryan
>

> Im hitting it from the main BIOS Screen and all I get the F1 help screen.
>
> I tried it at boot up also and all it does is cause the keyboard to beep at
> me.
>
> I think that Gigabyte needs to change their FAQ to reflect that not all
> their boards have this option as it appears that mine doesn't have it.

Gigabyte needs to do a LOT to improve manuals and FAQ's... like maybe
hire somebody who speaks English to PROOFREAD them. :)  There were
several instances in my MB manual where I had to re-read something a
couple times before the crazy-English made some sense.

Stupid question: did you try both ctrl keys? Thinking back to my
programming days, ctrl+f1 should be interpreted completely differently
than f1 by itself, and shouldn't bring up the f1 help menu, regardless
of their being a ctrl+f1 help screen.

You're right... there should be a list somewhere that lists all the MB
that have this "special feature." My GA-71XE did not have it either.
And of course, its not listed in the MB manuals at all. Unless I'm
blind. :)

Ryan