No Cntrl-F1 for 7VM400M-RZ ?

I purchased a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ to replace my trusty old ECS K7S5A since
it finally died.

I see that the 7VM400M-RZ does not have hard drive S.M.A.R.T. turned on.
The BIOS version E3 in my board will not let me do the Cntrl-F1 from within
the BIOS like what the Gigabyte FAQ talks about.

Is this by design or am I doing it wrong?

I know that this is a budget board but jees! Even my $50 ECS board had
SMART as an option and it's already ancient by comparison.
3 answers Last reply
More about cntrl 7vm400m

    Gonzo wrote:
    > I purchased a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ to replace my trusty old ECS K7S5A since
    > it finally died.
    >
    > I see that the 7VM400M-RZ does not have hard drive S.M.A.R.T. turned on.
    > The BIOS version E3 in my board will not let me do the Cntrl-F1 from within
    > the BIOS like what the Gigabyte FAQ talks about.
    >
    > Is this by design or am I doing it wrong?
    >
    > I know that this is a budget board but jees! Even my $50 ECS board had
    > SMART as an option and it's already ancient by comparison.

    Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from
    within any sublevels?

    Ryan

    "Ryan J. Paque" <rpaque@delete.this.part.wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Gonzo wrote:
    >> I purchased a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ to replace my trusty old ECS K7S5A
    >> since it finally died.
    >>
    >> I see that the 7VM400M-RZ does not have hard drive S.M.A.R.T. turned on.
    >> The BIOS version E3 in my board will not let me do the Cntrl-F1 from
    >> within the BIOS like what the Gigabyte FAQ talks about.
    >>
    >> Is this by design or am I doing it wrong?
    >>
    >> I know that this is a budget board but jees! Even my $50 ECS board had
    >> SMART as an option and it's already ancient by comparison.
    >
    > Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from within
    > any sublevels?
    >
    > Ryan

    Im hitting it from the main BIOS Screen and all I get the F1 help screen.

    I tried it at boot up also and all it does is cause the keyboard to beep at
    me.

    I think that Gigabyte needs to change their FAQ to reflect that not all
    their boards have this option as it appears that mine doesn't have it.

    Gonzo wrote:

    >> Are you hitting CTRl+F1 from the *main* BIOS screen, and not from within
    >>any sublevels?
    >>
    >> Ryan
    >

    > Im hitting it from the main BIOS Screen and all I get the F1 help screen.
    >
    > I tried it at boot up also and all it does is cause the keyboard to beep at
    > me.
    >
    > I think that Gigabyte needs to change their FAQ to reflect that not all
    > their boards have this option as it appears that mine doesn't have it.

    Gigabyte needs to do a LOT to improve manuals and FAQ's... like maybe
    hire somebody who speaks English to PROOFREAD them. :) There were
    several instances in my MB manual where I had to re-read something a
    couple times before the crazy-English made some sense.

    Stupid question: did you try both ctrl keys? Thinking back to my
    programming days, ctrl+f1 should be interpreted completely differently
    than f1 by itself, and shouldn't bring up the f1 help menu, regardless
    of their being a ctrl+f1 help screen.

    You're right... there should be a list somewhere that lists all the MB
    that have this "special feature." My GA-71XE did not have it either.
    And of course, its not listed in the MB manuals at all. Unless I'm
    blind. :)

    Ryan

Gigabyte BIOS ECS Motherboards