Drive Letter for Diskette station

December 5, 2004 2:23:05 AM

While putting an external USB stick in my laptop, this stick assigned
its "key" partition to the letter "A" of my OS (the stick is devided in
2 partitions the key partition assigns itself to A or B depending on
which available at the moment and the other partition assigns itself to
the first letter available after the C > only this one can be changed
from within the OS). Because the letter "A" was assigned from this
moment on; when I put my diskette drive in later on it assigned itself
to the next available letter: "B". This happened even if the USB stick
wasn't put in. From this moment on no boot diskette or other previous
installed things on diskettes seemed to work. I managed to reassign the
previous references to A now to B (with the program PM). Now I would
like to revert this so that my diskette station is again assigned to
the letter A. This seems impossible because the diskette station is
only visible under "My Computer" where the drive letters can't be
changed. Where can I change this drive letter of the diskette station
??

--
Guydpb
Anonymous

"Guydpb" <Guydpb.1grlgz@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> While putting an external USB stick in my laptop, this stick assigned
> its "key" partition to the letter "A" of my OS (the stick is devided in
> 2 partitions the key partition assigns itself to A or B depending on
> which available at the moment and the other partition assigns itself to
> the first letter available after the C > only this one can be changed
> from within the OS). Because the letter "A" was assigned from this
> moment on; when I put my diskette drive in later on it assigned itself
> to the next available letter: "B". This happened even if the USB stick
> wasn't put in. From this moment on no boot diskette or other previous
> installed things on diskettes seemed to work. I managed to reassign the
> previous references to A now to B (with the program PM). Now I would
> like to revert this so that my diskette station is again assigned to
> the letter A. This seems impossible because the diskette station is
> only visible under "My Computer" where the drive letters can't be
> changed. Where can I change this drive letter of the diskette station
> ??
>

> --
> Guydpb

- Run regedit.exe
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
- Locate the entry "\DosDevices\A:"
- Press F2, then rename it to "\DosDevices\U:" (for example)
- Locate the entry "\DosDevices\B:"
- Press F2, then rename it to "\DosDevices\A:"
- Reboot the PC
!