strongest AP not being chosen

Here is the setup: A mobile cart with 25 thinkpads. XP
Sp2. 2 cisco access points with ssid broadcast enabled
for cisco wap, the wap's are set as Preferred networks.
The laptops and AP's are always in the same room.

Here is what happens: The kids put the laptops to
sleep(which means it holds the last ap), when the laptops
are opened back up they get "limited internet
connectivity" they have low signal and no "real"
connection.
If I do a manual disconnect and reconnect it finds
the APs on the cart, and everything is good.

What I need: I need software or place to edit the
registry so xp will always choose the ap with the
strongest signal. I am fine with creating a button on
the desktop, but whatever the solution it has to involve
very little interaction(sixth graders will be using)

If you need more info or have a solution feel free to
mail me it or post here. Thanks for taking the time to
peruse this mess.
be well
silvus Geeeemail Com
ISAT Dot

Hi,

It sounds to me like the laptops are actually connecting to the wireless
network, but they are not getting a DHCP address. Here's how you can check:

1) Open up the laptop after it has been put into sleep mode
2) Wait for the 'Limited or no connectivity' balloon to appear
3) If the wireless icon in the toolbar has a red X on it, then you are
not connected to any wireless network
4) If you are connected to a wireless network, double click on the
wireless toolbar icon. This should cause a status dialog to appear
5) Check to see which network you are connected to.
6) Click on the 'Support' tab at the top of the Status dialog. This
will allow you to see what IP address you have.
7) Try clicking on the 'Repair' button. This should reset the wireless
connection.

If you are finding that the laptops are connecting to the wrong SSID,
check the order of your preferred networks. It might be possible that a
more preferred network is available.

Here are some things you might also want to try:

1) Check to see if there is an update to the driver for the wireless
networking card on your laptop. This can be found either on the web site for
the laptop manufacturer or the wireless card manufacturer
2) Check the settings for DHCP on your Cisco APs
3) You can also try running the command 'ipconfig /renew' from the
command line prompt

Also, for your information: The driver for the wireless network card is
responsible for choosing which Access Point within a SSID to connect to.
Windows XP and the Wireless Zero Config client merely tell the wireless
driver to connect to a SSID using appropriate authentication and encryption
settings. It's up to the driver to figure out which AP is the best one to
connect to.

Thanks
Chris Gual [MSFT]

"silvus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is the setup: A mobile cart with 25 thinkpads. XP
> Sp2. 2 cisco access points with ssid broadcast enabled
> for cisco wap, the wap's are set as Preferred networks.
> The laptops and AP's are always in the same room.
>
> Here is what happens: The kids put the laptops to
> sleep(which means it holds the last ap), when the laptops
> are opened back up they get "limited internet
> connectivity" they have low signal and no "real"
> connection.
> If I do a manual disconnect and reconnect it finds
> the APs on the cart, and everything is good.
>
> What I need: I need software or place to edit the
> registry so xp will always choose the ap with the
> strongest signal. I am fine with creating a button on
> the desktop, but whatever the solution it has to involve
> very little interaction(sixth graders will be using)
>
> If you need more info or have a solution feel free to
> mail me it or post here. Thanks for taking the time to
> peruse this mess.
> be well
> silvus Geeeemail Com
> ISAT Dot