sata drive help

hello users...i have an asus p4p800e deluxe mobo...also supports raid
drives...i have an IDE western digi 160 GB...I would like to know if I could
use a sata drive just for storage,...I don not want to install an O.S. in the
sata...Only to boot from my IDE...I'm using xp...I have done some reasarch
and I learned that since its only for storage I won;t need to make raid
volume ,,,Is it true....please help me before I do my installation on
monday....and also do I need to configure it on the Bios Screen before I do
the harware part...many thanks to everybody...

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You need two identical hard drives to use RAID.

"alwin J.C" <alwinJC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hello users...i have an asus p4p800e deluxe mobo...also supports raid
> drives...i have an IDE western digi 160 GB...I would like to know if I
> could
> use a sata drive just for storage,...I don not want to install an O.S. in
> the
> sata...Only to boot from my IDE...I'm using xp...I have done some reasarch
> and I learned that since its only for storage I won;t need to make raid
> volume ,,,Is it true....please help me before I do my installation on
> monday....and also do I need to configure it on the Bios Screen before I
> do
> the harware part...many thanks to everybody...

yes you can use a SATA drive for storage.

turn off your computer and plug in the drive and then turn it on

you may want to check you bios and make sure that the ide hard disk is
the primary hard disk since you'll be booting from that hard disk

once windows loads the the sata drive is detected and the drivers get
installed automatically.

do you have the latest service packs installed? .. this should give you
all the latest sata drivers you will require

--
bottle
bottle's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=65