samuel

Alot of games run slowly on my PC, yet they meet all the system
requirements--except one. I'm not so sure if I have enough VRAM, and I don't
know how to find out how much I have. I've searched all over the internet,
with no luck. Is this some kind of secret, or am I missing something totally
obvious? Any help would be great.

Sandman

computer.howstuffworks.com/ram5.htm
//www.monitorworld.com/faq_pages/q34_page.html

"Samuel" <Samuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alot of games run slowly on my PC, yet they meet all the system
> requirements--except one. I'm not so sure if I have enough VRAM, and I
don't
> know how to find out how much I have. I've searched all over the internet,
> with no luck. Is this some kind of secret, or am I missing something
totally
> obvious? Any help would be great.

Run EVEREST free from www.lavalys.com and look at the
report. You can also run an on-line test, free from
www.pcpitstop.com

What you likely need is a new graphics with more memory on
the card.

"Samuel" <Samuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Alot of games run slowly on my PC, yet they meet all the
system
| requirements--except one. I'm not so sure if I have enough
VRAM, and I don't
| know how to find out how much I have. I've searched all
over the internet,
| with no luck. Is this some kind of secret, or am I missing
something totally
| obvious? Any help would be great.

check your Virtual Ram setting by going to control panel > system > advanced
tab > click setting in the perfomance section > click advanced tab > then
you can change your settings using the change button at the bottom

although i dont think it will make much diference to your games, like the
other replies say your best bet would be a new VGA card to improve game
performance

"Samuel" <Samuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alot of games run slowly on my PC, yet they meet all the system
> requirements--except one. I'm not so sure if I have enough VRAM, and I
> don't
> know how to find out how much I have. I've searched all over the internet,
> with no luck. Is this some kind of secret, or am I missing something
> totally
> obvious? Any help would be great.

Do you mean Video RAM?

If so, go to the Display control panel, Settings tab, Advanced button,
Adapter tab. That will show how much memory is available on your graphics
card.

I'm not sure what will be displayed if you have onboard video that shares
some of the motherboard's main memory.

(I hope that you have a separate graphics card. Onboard video performance is
supposed to be fine for ordinary business-application graphics, but it's
usually poor for games.)

HTH.

"Samuel" <Samuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alot of games run slowly on my PC, yet they meet all the system
> requirements--except one. I'm not so sure if I have enough VRAM, and I
> don't
> know how to find out how much I have. I've searched all over the internet,
> with no luck. Is this some kind of secret, or am I missing something
> totally
> obvious? Any help would be great.

samuel

Yes Bob, I do mean Video RAM. Unfortunately I do have an onboard video card.
I guess I'd better go out and buy a better one. Thanks for the help.

"Bob Knowlden" wrote:

> Do you mean Video RAM?
>
> If so, go to the Display control panel, Settings tab, Advanced button,
> Adapter tab. That will show how much memory is available on your graphics
> card.
>
> I'm not sure what will be displayed if you have onboard video that shares
> some of the motherboard's main memory.
>
> (I hope that you have a separate graphics card. Onboard video performance is
> supposed to be fine for ordinary business-application graphics, but it's
> usually poor for games.)
>
> HTH.
>
> Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Samuel" <Samuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Alot of games run slowly on my PC, yet they meet all the system
> > requirements--except one. I'm not so sure if I have enough VRAM, and I
> > don't
> > know how to find out how much I have. I've searched all over the internet,
> > with no luck. Is this some kind of secret, or am I missing something
> > totally
> > obvious? Any help would be great.

Verify what open slots you have available for a new video
card. The AGP slot is reddish-brown and is closest to the
CPU and sits a little further back than the PCI slots (which
are white). Some mobo do not have an AGP slot and although
you can buy a PCI video card, you might be better off
looking into a major upgrade if gaming is your pleasure and
you don't have an AGP slot.