Periodically loses connection.

I have a Speedstream 5200 DSL modem and a Netgear WGR14v3 Wireless router. My
desktop is hooked up by cable and my laptop through wireless.

My connection remains strong, but I lose the internet periodically. I've
tried repairing, but the only thing that works is rebooting.
5 answers Last reply
More about periodically loses connection

    change channel probably interference

    mike

    "Frustrated in Cleveland" <FrustratedinCleveland@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:40F30FA0-8EC3-4D91-A0F4-4508FE731C52@microsoft.com...
    > I have a Speedstream 5200 DSL modem and a Netgear WGR14v3 Wireless router.
    My
    > desktop is hooked up by cable and my laptop through wireless.
    >
    > My connection remains strong, but I lose the internet periodically. I've
    > tried repairing, but the only thing that works is rebooting.

    What do you mean "change channel"? This is a wireless router.

    Frustrated in Cleveland wrote:

    > What do you mean "change channel"? This is a wireless router.
    >
    > "mikeFNB" wrote:
    >
    >> change channel probably interference
    >>
    >> mike
    >>
    >> "Frustrated in Cleveland"
    >> <FrustratedinCleveland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have a Speedstream 5200 DSL modem and a Netgear WGR14v3 Wireless
    >> > router.
    >> My
    >> > desktop is hooked up by cable and my laptop through wireless.
    >> >
    >> > My connection remains strong, but I lose the internet periodically.
    >> > I've tried repairing, but the only thing that works is rebooting.

    You can change the channel of the signal from your router's
    configuration screen. It is probably set to 11 - try setting it to 6.
    Or vice versa.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I tried changing the channel, but no change. I have disabled the wireless
    while I was away from the computer then re-enabled it upon returning. That
    seemed to work for awhile, but no longer. I don't get it and I can't find an
    answer. The only thing that works is to re-boot the computer then everything
    works fine.

    "mikeFNB" wrote:

    > change channel probably interference
    >
    > mike
    >
    > "Frustrated in Cleveland" <FrustratedinCleveland@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message news:40F30FA0-8EC3-4D91-A0F4-4508FE731C52@microsoft.com...
    > > I have a Speedstream 5200 DSL modem and a Netgear WGR14v3 Wireless router.
    > My
    > > desktop is hooked up by cable and my laptop through wireless.
    > >
    > > My connection remains strong, but I lose the internet periodically. I've
    > > tried repairing, but the only thing that works is rebooting.

Wireless Connection Wireless Networking