cdrom seen by BIOS but not in WinXP (7N400 Pro2)

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2004 8:37:11 PM

I recently upgraded the OS on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 Mobo from Win2K
to WinXP. When it ran Win2K, it did not have a problem recognizing
both my Creative 48X CD-ROM and my Memorex DVD+RW/+R. However, with
WinXP, my Creative 48X CD-ROM is not seen by the device manager. The
BIOS, version F11, properly recognizes the device as secondary master,
and even spins up the drive if a CD is in it, but that knowledge does
not seem to get past into the OS. The GigaRaid BIOS is configured as
"ATA" mode since I don't have a RAID array.

The Memorex DVD+RW/+R is recognized on secondary slave properly.

XP is fully updated as far as M$ is concerned. I also have all the
latest drivers from GigaByte installed.

Cheers,
Steve Maring
Tarpon Springs, FL
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2004 2:59:54 PM

Steve Maring wrote:
> I recently upgraded the OS on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 Mobo from Win2K
> to WinXP. When it ran Win2K, it did not have a problem recognizing
> both my Creative 48X CD-ROM and my Memorex DVD+RW/+R. However, with
> WinXP, my Creative 48X CD-ROM is not seen by the device manager. The
> BIOS, version F11, properly recognizes the device as secondary master,
> and even spins up the drive if a CD is in it, but that knowledge does
> not seem to get past into the OS. The GigaRaid BIOS is configured as
> "ATA" mode since I don't have a RAID array.
>
> The Memorex DVD+RW/+R is recognized on secondary slave properly.
>
> XP is fully updated as far as M$ is concerned. I also have all the
> latest drivers from GigaByte installed.

> Cheers,
> Steve Maring
> Tarpon Springs, FL

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer
Management | Disk Management

Put a disk in the drive. Check to see if you have a drive letter alllocated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2004 8:21:16 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:59:54 +0900, "Jim Smith" <jsmith729@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I recently upgraded the OS on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 Mobo from Win2K
> > to WinXP. When it ran Win2K, it did not have a problem recognizing
> > both my Creative 48X CD-ROM and my Memorex DVD+RW/+R. However, with
> > WinXP, my Creative 48X CD-ROM is not seen by the device manager. The
> > BIOS, version F11, properly recognizes the device as secondary master,
> > and even spins up the drive if a CD is in it, but that knowledge does
> > not seem to get past into the OS. The GigaRaid BIOS is configured as
> > "ATA" mode since I don't have a RAID array.
> >
> > The Memorex DVD+RW/+R is recognized on secondary slave properly.
> >
> > XP is fully updated as far as M$ is concerned. I also have all the
> > latest drivers from GigaByte installed.

> > Cheers,
> > Steve Maring
> > Tarpon Springs, FL
>
> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer
> Management | Disk Management
>
> Put a disk in the drive. Check to see if you have a drive letter alllocated.

That is the long way to do it.

Right click on My Computer, select Manage then Disk Management.
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2004 2:19:25 AM

You may need to get them off the same cable. I've had problems in the
past where two IDE cdrom devices just didn't like coexisting. You'll
also find that the slower device will slow down the faster device (yeah
that still happens with these).

If all else fails get a USB2.0 cabinet for one of your cd devices (the
one you don't use all the time). It's strange that it worked under 2000
but doesn't under xp because generally if they don't like each other
it's controller related and not os related. You might also look for a
firmware update for one or both drives. Good luck.

Steve Maring wrote:
> I recently upgraded the OS on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 Mobo from Win2K
> to WinXP. When it ran Win2K, it did not have a problem recognizing
> both my Creative 48X CD-ROM and my Memorex DVD+RW/+R. However, with
> WinXP, my Creative 48X CD-ROM is not seen by the device manager. The
> BIOS, version F11, properly recognizes the device as secondary master,
> and even spins up the drive if a CD is in it, but that knowledge does
> not seem to get past into the OS. The GigaRaid BIOS is configured as
> "ATA" mode since I don't have a RAID array.
>
> The Memorex DVD+RW/+R is recognized on secondary slave properly.
>
> XP is fully updated as far as M$ is concerned. I also have all the
> latest drivers from GigaByte installed.

> Cheers,
> Steve Maring
> Tarpon Springs, FL
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2004 8:55:48 AM

Ken Oaf wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:59:54 +0900, "Jim Smith" <jsmith729@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> I recently upgraded the OS on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 Mobo from Win2K
>>> to WinXP. When it ran Win2K, it did not have a problem recognizing
>>> both my Creative 48X CD-ROM and my Memorex DVD+RW/+R. However, with
>>> WinXP, my Creative 48X CD-ROM is not seen by the device manager.
>>> The BIOS, version F11, properly recognizes the device as secondary
>>> master, and even spins up the drive if a CD is in it, but that
>>> knowledge does not seem to get past into the OS. The GigaRaid BIOS
>>> is configured as "ATA" mode since I don't have a RAID array.
>>>
>>> The Memorex DVD+RW/+R is recognized on secondary slave properly.
>>>
>>> XP is fully updated as far as M$ is concerned. I also have all the
>>> latest drivers from GigaByte installed.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve Maring
>>> Tarpon Springs, FL
>>
>> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer
>> Management | Disk Management
>>
>> Put a disk in the drive. Check to see if you have a drive letter
>> alllocated.
>
> That is the long way to do it.
>
> Right click on My Computer, select Manage then Disk Management.
Yes but it does show him the full path of options just in case there is
something else that could help.
!