Noisy Hard drive

Got a new Compaq 1220NX a month ago. Ran very quietly first week, since
then has a constant variable-pitch hum when it's running. Occasionally will
run quiet if I reboot. Definitely not the fan, as the pitch rises when
drive is being accessed, and drops back down when not active. Noise can be
heard across the quiet room, but is tolerable... but is it a sign of an
impending problem? Not any grinding or other mech sound, just the hum.
thanks

Cpould it be the CD drive spinning up?