8KNXP Slow Hard Drives

Hi I hope someone can help with this.

I got a 8knxp (Rev 2 with FJ) with 2 74GB Western Digital Caviar drives (
7200 rpm 8MB cache) in a standard master slave config, the 2 drives are on
IDE 1. I'm getting read speeds of 13MB/s on the master and 3MB/s on the
slave drive. I expected to get around 40MB/s have I made a glaring error
somewhere ?
14 answers Last reply
More about 8knxp slow hard drives

    In article <41665050$0$59444$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, "DavidM" <use newsgroup only @itiseasier. thatway> wrote:
    > I'm getting read speeds of 13MB/s on the master and 3MB/s on the
    >slave drive. I expected to get around 40MB/s have I made a glaring error
    >somewhere ?

    Did You check wether UDMA mode is enabled or not?
    How did You measure the transfer rate?
    I would prefer to connect one HD as master on first IDE channel and the second HD as master on second IDE channel. Otherwise You will not get the full speed when copy from HD1 to HD2.

    Moritz

    Thanks for that.
    I just set UDMA to auto, now i get 68 MB/s on primary but still 3MB/s on
    the slave.

    "Moritz Kuerten" <moritz.kuerten@web.de> wrote in message
    In article <41665050$0$59444$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, "DavidM"
    <use newsgroup only @itiseasier. thatway> wrote:
    > I'm getting read speeds of 13MB/s on the master and 3MB/s on the
    >slave drive. I expected to get around 40MB/s have I made a glaring error
    >somewhere ?

    Did You check wether UDMA mode is enabled or not?
    How did You measure the transfer rate?
    I would prefer to connect one HD as master on first IDE channel and the
    second HD as master on second IDE channel. Otherwise You will not get the
    full speed when copy from HD1 to HD2.

    Moritz

    I used HD Tach to check read speeds.
    I thought transfering data on the same IDE channel would be quicker. Should
    I move the slave HD to IDE 1 and have 1 HD an 1 optical drive on each
    channel?

    Jim.
    "Jim" <jims.newsnospam@dsl.pipex.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that.
    > I just set UDMA to auto, now i get 68 MB/s on primary but still 3MB/s
    on
    > the slave.
    >
    > "Moritz Kuerten" <moritz.kuerten@web.de> wrote in message
    > In article <41665050$0$59444$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
    "DavidM"
    > <use newsgroup only @itiseasier. thatway> wrote:
    > > I'm getting read speeds of 13MB/s on the master and 3MB/s on the
    > >slave drive. I expected to get around 40MB/s have I made a glaring error
    > >somewhere ?
    >
    > Did You check wether UDMA mode is enabled or not?
    > How did You measure the transfer rate?
    > I would prefer to connect one HD as master on first IDE channel and the
    > second HD as master on second IDE channel. Otherwise You will not get the
    > full speed when copy from HD1 to HD2.
    >
    > Moritz
    >
    > --

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I have changed my setup so it is HD/optical on each channel im now getting
    50MB/s on drive 1 and 40MB/s on drive 2 UDMA is set to auto for all 4
    devices..
    Thanks for your help and ideas guys.

    > I used HD Tach to check read speeds.
    > I thought transfering data on the same IDE channel would be quicker.
    Should
    > I move the slave HD to IDE 1 and have 1 HD an 1 optical drive on each
    > channel?

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    >I used HD Tach to check read speeds.
    >I thought transfering data on the same IDE channel would be quicker.

    No, it isn't. On one IDE channel, only one device can transfer data at
    the same time. For copy data from HD1 to HD2 on the same channel this
    means, while one HD is reading data, the other one hast to wait. Then
    the data is written to the other HD and the first one has to wait.

    >Should
    >I move the slave HD to IDE 1 and have 1 HD an 1 optical drive on each
    >channel?

    Yes, I do this so. In this case, while copy data from HD1 to HD2 the
    situation is:
    HD1 is reading and at the same time HD2 is writing the data.
    Therefore, You should get twice the speed then in Your configuration.

    Test it by copying a large file from HD1 to HD2 and stop witch Your
    clock the transfer time.

    Moritz
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    >I used HD Tach to check read speeds.
    >I thought transfering data on the same IDE channel would be quicker.

    No, it isn't. On one IDE channel, only one device can transfer data at
    the same time. For copy data from HD1 to HD2 on the same channel this
    means, while one HD is reading data, the other one hast to wait. Then
    the data is written to the other HD and the first one has to wait.

    >Should
    >I move the slave HD to IDE 1 and have 1 HD an 1 optical drive on each
    >channel?

    Yes, I do this so. In this case, while copy data from HD1 to HD2 the
    situation is:
    HD1 is reading and at the same time HD2 is writing the data.
    Therefore, You should get twice the speed then in Your configuration.

    Test it by copying a large file from HD1 to HD2 and stop witch Your
    clock the transfer time.

    Moritz
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:44:16 +0100, "Jim" <jims.newsnospam@dsl.pipex.net>
    wrote:

    >Hi I hope someone can help with this.
    >
    >I got a 8knxp (Rev 2 with FJ) with 2 74GB Western Digital Caviar drives (
    >7200 rpm 8MB cache) in a standard master slave config, the 2 drives are on
    >IDE 1. I'm getting read speeds of 13MB/s on the master and 3MB/s on the
    >slave drive. I expected to get around 40MB/s have I made a glaring error
    >somewhere ?

    Have you turned on DMA..??
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:48:31 +0100, "Jim" <jims.newsnospam@dsl.pipex.net>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for that.
    > I just set UDMA to auto, now i get 68 MB/s on primary but still 3MB/s on
    >the slave.

    Yes but what is it reporting as the DMA Setting...?

    Setting it on Auto does not mean a thing..

    >"Moritz Kuerten" <moritz.kuerten@web.de> wrote in message
    >In article <41665050$0$59444$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, "DavidM"
    ><use newsgroup only @itiseasier. thatway> wrote:
    >> I'm getting read speeds of 13MB/s on the master and 3MB/s on the
    >>slave drive. I expected to get around 40MB/s have I made a glaring error
    >>somewhere ?
    >
    >Did You check wether UDMA mode is enabled or not?
    >How did You measure the transfer rate?
    >I would prefer to connect one HD as master on first IDE channel and the
    >second HD as master on second IDE channel. Otherwise You will not get the
    >full speed when copy from HD1 to HD2.
    >
    >Moritz
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I dont know where to check the reported DMA setting.
    Jim.

    "Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:48:31 +0100, "Jim" <jims.newsnospam@dsl.pipex.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks for that.
    > > I just set UDMA to auto, now i get 68 MB/s on primary but still 3MB/s
    on
    > >the slave.
    >

    > Yes but what is it reporting as the DMA Setting...?
    >
    > Setting it on Auto does not mean a thing..
    >

    > >"Moritz Kuerten" <moritz.kuerten@web.de> wrote in message
    > >In article <41665050$0$59444$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
    "DavidM"
    > ><use newsgroup only @itiseasier. thatway> wrote:
    > >> I'm getting read speeds of 13MB/s on the master and 3MB/s on the
    > >>slave drive. I expected to get around 40MB/s have I made a glaring error
    > >>somewhere ?
    > >
    > >Did You check wether UDMA mode is enabled or not?
    > >How did You measure the transfer rate?
    > >I would prefer to connect one HD as master on first IDE channel and the
    > >second HD as master on second IDE channel. Otherwise You will not get the
    > >full speed when copy from HD1 to HD2.
    > >
    > >Moritz

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    ok I found it, they are set to udma if available for device 0 and pio only
    for device 1 on each channel.

    > I dont know where to check the reported DMA setting.
    > Jim.
    >
    > "Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:48:31 +0100, "Jim"
    <jims.newsnospam@dsl.pipex.net>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Thanks for that.
    > > > I just set UDMA to auto, now i get 68 MB/s on primary but still
    3MB/s
    > on
    > > >the slave.
    > >

    > > Yes but what is it reporting as the DMA Setting...?
    > >
    > > Setting it on Auto does not mean a thing..
    > >

    > > >"Moritz Kuerten" <moritz.kuerten@web.de> wrote in message
    > > >In article <41665050$0$59444$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
    > > >
    > > >Did You check wether UDMA mode is enabled or not?
    > > >How did You measure the transfer rate?
    > > >I would prefer to connect one HD as master on first IDE channel and the
    > > >second HD as master on second IDE channel. Otherwise You will not get
    the
    > > >full speed when copy from HD1 to HD2.
    > > >
    > > >Moritz

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > ok I found it, they are set to udma if available for device 0 and pio only
    > for device 1 on each channel.

    Where did you find this info?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Bob in win2k

    device manager
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers
    primary IDE Channel
    Advanced Settings

    Jim

    "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

    > "Jim" <jims.newsnospam@dsl.pipex.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > ok I found it, they are set to udma if available for device 0 and pio
    only
    > > for device 1 on each channel.
    >
    > Where did you find this info?

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    forgot to mention I set all 4 devices to udma and "current mode" is now
    reported as ultra DMA mode for them all.
    Jim

    "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> wrote in message

    > "Jim" <jims.newsnospam@dsl.pipex.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > ok I found it, they are set to udma if available for device 0 and pio
    only
    > > for device 1 on each channel.
    >
    > Where did you find this info?

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    >ok I found it, they are set to udma if available for device 0 and pio only
    >for device 1 on each channel.

    "udma if available" should always be the default value. But sometimes
    there is a incompatibility between two devices connected to the same
    channel. Then, sometimes one device runs only in PIO mode. In this
    case, the devices should be connected to different channels.

    Moritz

Gigabyte Western Digital Hard Drives Motherboards