Lose ability to connect to internet after system awakes fr..

My laptop (Dell 600 with integrated wireless) loses the ability to connect to
the internet after awakening from standby mode (XP SP1) when I use it as a
laptop. No problem when it's in docked mode. I can still see the network
(Linksys router) and have packets coming in and going out, plenty of bars,
but don't hit the internet. Also, perhaps unrelated, at these times my USB
dies and I can't connect devices (i.e., mouse) and have it recognized (no red
light at all on the mouse).
Restarting the system fixes both issues, but I'm tired of restarting.

How do I fix either or both issues?

bar

Make sure that the USB hub is set 'not' to power down. They can be powered
off by the system in order to save energy, but of course it causes other
problems and isn't worth the few fractions of a cent saved in energy costs.