CPU swap & XP Home OEM

December 7, 2004 11:25:51 PM

If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my same
XP OEM?

I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but am
not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.

More about : cpu swap home oem

December 8, 2004 12:51:04 AM

That depends what its tied to .........usually the MOBO sometimes the BIOS...
80% of the time you can change the CPU without a problem.........why not phone
and ask the people who sold it to you??
peter
"Patrick Hill" <pat@email.com> wrote in message
> If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my same
> XP OEM?
>
> I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but am
> not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:55:02 AM

Thats shouldnt be a problem at all,the only one might be if the new P4
has hyper-threading,and the old doesnt.

"Patrick Hill" wrote:

> If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my same
> XP OEM?
>
> I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but am
> not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.

Related resources
December 8, 2004 10:41:02 AM

Hi,

There should be no problem as long as your mobo support the new CPU.

Peter

"Patrick Hill" wrote:

> If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my same
> XP OEM?
>
> I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but am
> not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 10:32:08 PM

Patrick Hill wrote:
> If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my same
> XP OEM?
>
> I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but am
> not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.

An OEM license is permanently bound to the first computer on which it's
installed, but this doesn't prevent you from upgrading that PC by
changing a single component.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:41:41 AM

Thanks for the info. This gives me some planning to do to swap the old CPU
in the future.

news:o ybIIdZ3EHA.2956@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!