CPU swap & XP Home OEM

If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my same
XP OEM?

I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but am
not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.
5 answers Last reply
More about swap home

    That depends what its tied to .........usually the MOBO sometimes the BIOS...
    80% of the time you can change the CPU without a problem.........why not phone
    and ask the people who sold it to you??
    peter
    "Patrick Hill" <pat@email.com> wrote in message
    > If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my same
    > XP OEM?
    >
    > I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but am
    > not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.

    Thats shouldnt be a problem at all,the only one might be if the new P4
    has hyper-threading,and the old doesnt.

    "Patrick Hill" wrote:

    > If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my same
    > XP OEM?
    >
    > I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but am
    > not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.

    Hi,

    There should be no problem as long as your mobo support the new CPU.

    Peter

    Patrick Hill wrote:
    > If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my same
    > XP OEM?
    >
    > I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but am
    > not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.

    An OEM license is permanently bound to the first computer on which it's
    installed, but this doesn't prevent you from upgrading that PC by
    changing a single component.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks for the info. This gives me some planning to do to swap the old CPU
    in the future.

    > Patrick Hill wrote:
    > > If I swap my Pentium 4 for a higher Pent. 4, will I be able to use my
    same
    > > XP OEM?
    > >
    > > I'm looking to swap out my processor in the future for a better one, but
    am
    > > not sure if I can use the same XP OEM.
    > >

    > An OEM license is permanently bound to the first computer on which it's
    > installed, but this doesn't prevent you from upgrading that PC by
    > changing a single component.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you: