Realtek Lan and ITE Raid drivers upgrade...Giga-byte 7N400..

quick question...i prefer to stay current on all my driver revisions.
how do i tell the driver revs for the LAN and ITE Raid Driver??

here's what i see:

Realtek driver in System Properties is: 5.611.1231.2003
Realtek Driver on the Giga-byte website is: 6.15
Should I read the System Propp driver as 5.61??

any suggestions?

ITE Driver in System Properties: 1.4.1.6
ITE Driver on Giga-byte webiste is 1.4.1.6
YET...ITE website has version for download: 1.7.1.9
Should i upgrade or not worry about it and stick with the Giga-byte
site driver rev??

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
tw
7 answers Last reply
More about realtek raid drivers upgrade giga byte 7n400

    GolfNut wrote:

    > quick question...i prefer to stay current on all my driver revisions.
    > how do i tell the driver revs for the LAN and ITE Raid Driver??
    >
    > here's what i see:
    >
    > Realtek driver in System Properties is: 5.611.1231.2003
    > Realtek Driver on the Giga-byte website is: 6.15
    > Should I read the System Propp driver as 5.61??

    I would read it as either 5.61, or 6.11. I've disabled the LAN on my
    7N400, so I can't actually help you there.. sorry. :)

    > any suggestions?
    >
    > ITE Driver in System Properties: 1.4.1.6
    > ITE Driver on Giga-byte webiste is 1.4.1.6
    > YET...ITE website has version for download: 1.7.1.9
    > Should i upgrade or not worry about it and stick with the Giga-byte
    > site driver rev??
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    > tw

    The first piece of advice I have, is if your system is working fine
    and doesn't need anything fixed, don't worry about updating the drivers.
    Until recently, I felt the same as you... until I realized the latest
    NVidia drivers actually cause my particular system to lose some performance.

    That being said, you might want to look at the NVidia website for the
    absolute latest in NForce2 driver sets.

    However, in theory, the driver set included on Gigabyte's website are
    the "officially" reccomended ones that have been "throuroughly tested."

    Ryan

    "GolfNut" <t_d_white@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > quick question...i prefer to stay current on all my driver revisions.
    > how do i tell the driver revs for the LAN and ITE Raid Driver??
    >
    > here's what i see:
    >
    > Realtek driver in System Properties is: 5.611.1231.2003
    > Realtek Driver on the Giga-byte website is: 6.15
    > Should I read the System Propp driver as 5.61??
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > ITE Driver in System Properties: 1.4.1.6
    > ITE Driver on Giga-byte webiste is 1.4.1.6
    > YET...ITE website has version for download: 1.7.1.9
    > Should i upgrade or not worry about it and stick with the Giga-byte
    > site driver rev??
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...

    I agree with Ryan that you shouldn't fix it unless it is broken. I have the
    original drivers on my 8KNXP except for Realtek and the 82801ER (RAID
    controller). My version numbers for Realtek don't jibe with your's, so I
    assume we have a different hardware version since I just upgraded drivers
    from the GB site last week.

    I updated Realtek because of an odd error message I received last week ("Bad
    DirectSound driver...." and another too long to post), and the RAID drivers
    just before creating an ICH5R RAID0 array about a month ago. I also don't
    update the bios unless there is a clear reason to do so, even though I've
    never had an errant bios update in 22 years fooling with computers (knocking
    firmly on wood). I figure the odds are against this good fortune continuing
    forever, as my number is long overdue, so I don't do it unless there is a
    reason.

    "GolfNut" <t_d_white@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

    > ITE Driver in System Properties: 1.4.1.6
    > ITE Driver on Giga-byte webiste is 1.4.1.6
    > YET...ITE website has version for download: 1.7.1.9

    Those on ITE website are for the standalone PCI card,
    not for the integrated mobo chip, so stay away from them ;)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:57:11 +0100, "Visual" <visual@despammed.com> wrote:

    >"GolfNut" <t_d_white@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >
    >> ITE Driver in System Properties: 1.4.1.6
    >> ITE Driver on Giga-byte webiste is 1.4.1.6
    >> YET...ITE website has version for download: 1.7.1.9
    >
    >Those on ITE website are for the standalone PCI card,
    >not for the integrated mobo chip, so stay away from them ;)

    They are updating there bios's, as I have a Bios for my MoBo with the latest
    ITE 1.7.1.9 bios, I kept bugging Gigabyte and they gave in, plus it fixed
    a boot and drive problems and also lets you boot from any of the 4 drives..

    I contacted them about the ITE Bios updates plus a boot problem with 2 hard
    drives on the ITE controller, but it was OK with 4 drives.

    They more or less did not want to know about the ITE Bios update, but when
    they supplied me with a new bios for the Boot problem the new ITE Bios was
    there.

    I had made 2 separate posts to them, one regarding the ITE Bios and the other
    to do with the Boot problem..
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    "Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:57:11 +0100, "Visual" <visual@despammed.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"GolfNut" <t_d_white@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>
    >>> ITE Driver in System Properties: 1.4.1.6
    >>> ITE Driver on Giga-byte webiste is 1.4.1.6
    >>> YET...ITE website has version for download: 1.7.1.9
    >>
    >>Those on ITE website are for the standalone PCI card,
    >>not for the integrated mobo chip, so stay away from them ;)
    >>

    > They are updating there bios's, as I have a Bios for my MoBo with the
    > latest
    > ITE 1.7.1.9 bios, I kept bugging Gigabyte and they gave in, plus it
    > fixed
    > a boot and drive problems and also lets you boot from any of the 4
    > drives..
    >

    > I contacted them about the ITE Bios updates plus a boot problem with 2
    > hard
    > drives on the ITE controller, but it was OK with 4 drives.
    >
    > They more or less did not want to know about the ITE Bios update, but when
    > they supplied me with a new bios for the Boot problem the new ITE Bios
    > was
    > there.
    >
    > I had made 2 separate posts to them, one regarding the ITE Bios and the
    > other
    > to do with the Boot problem..

    Hi Karen
    What board do you have ? I have a 8-knxp rev 1.
    I contacted Gigabyte also about the ITE controllers and they said the bios
    update was only
    for the pci card etc etc. My problem is that I am running my optical drives
    on ITE raid controllers
    and the boot up time is slow while the ITE controller scans for devices.
    I did a bit of searching on the internet and patched a bios myself and it
    has been working now for a couple of days.
    The only drawback with my patch is that I do not have raid support but this
    doesnt worry me as I dont intend to use
    the ITE controllers for raid

    regards
    Denis
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:42:40 +1100, "Denis Fitzgibbon"
    <denisfit@whomihug.com.au> wrote:

    >"Karen Parker" <kparker@xxxyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:57:11 +0100, "Visual" <visual@despammed.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"GolfNut" <t_d_white@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>>Those on ITE website are for the standalone PCI card,
    >>>not for the integrated mobo chip, so stay away from them ;)
    >>>

    >> They are updating there bios's, as I have a Bios for my MoBo with the
    >> latest
    >> ITE 1.7.1.9 bios, I kept bugging Gigabyte and they gave in, plus it
    >> fixed
    >> a boot and drive problems and also lets you boot from any of the 4
    >> drives..
    >>

    >> I contacted them about the ITE Bios updates plus a boot problem with 2
    >> hard
    >> drives on the ITE controller, but it was OK with 4 drives.
    >>
    >> They more or less did not want to know about the ITE Bios update, but when
    >> they supplied me with a new bios for the Boot problem the new ITE Bios
    >> was
    >> there.
    >>
    >> I had made 2 separate posts to them, one regarding the ITE Bios and the
    >> other
    >> to do with the Boot problem..
    >>

    >Hi Karen
    >What board do you have ? I have a 8-knxp rev 1.
    >I contacted Gigabyte also about the ITE controllers and they said the bios
    >update was only
    >for the pci card etc

    The Bios that ITE list is only for there cards, but it does say to get onto
    the MoBo maker to get them to install the new bios.

    > is that I am running my optical drives
    >on ITE raid controllers

    Why..?

    >and the boot up time is slow while the ITE controller scans for devices.
    >I did a bit of searching on the internet and patched a bios myself and it
    >has been working now for a couple of days.
    >The only drawback with my patch is that I do not have raid support but this
    >doesnt worry me as I dont intend to use
    >the ITE controllers for raid
    >
    >regards
    >Denis

    They hog washed you, read the FAQ on the ITE site as it does say to pester
    your MoBo maker, follow the ITE 8712 link to the FAQ.

    Mine is the 8I875 Ultra with a F11a bios as supplied by Gigabyte, this MoBo
    is the same as the 8KNXP Rev 2.0, but with out the DPS2..

    I am also not using Rail, but I did need more IDE ports, that is why I am
    using it plus it far better the have the hard drives not on the same port as
    the CD Roms..

    Plus I get the feature to boot from any Hard drive of the ITE controler.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 13:42:40 +1100, "Denis Fitzgibbon"
    (Trimmed)

    > They hog washed you, read the FAQ on the ITE site as it does say to
    > pester
    > your MoBo maker, follow the ITE 8712 link to the FAQ.
    >
    > Mine is the 8I875 Ultra with a F11a bios as supplied by Gigabyte, this
    > MoBo
    > is the same as the 8KNXP Rev 2.0, but with out the DPS2..
    >
    > I am also not using Rail, but I did need more IDE ports, that is why I am
    > using it plus it far better the have the hard drives not on the same port
    > as
    > the CD Roms..
    >
    > Plus I get the feature to boot from any Hard drive of the ITE controler.

    Hi Karen
    Thank you for your very helpful reply.
    I ran my optical drives on the raid controllers as I dont like sharing HD's
    and the Dvd drives
    on the same controller. I also had drive issues with the ITE controller so I
    decided to run
    the optical drives on the ITE controllers

    regards Denis

Gigabyte NAS / RAID LAN Realtek Motherboards