Windows XP installation on K8NS Pro - error loading OS

Hi,

Tearing my hair out today; can't seem to get my new system up and
running with my XP Home CD- I am unable to get past the first reboot
after copying files from the CD onto the HDD.

Looking for help - hopefully it is a simple BIOS setting that everyone
who builds using Gigabyte knows about... so please forgive the amount
of detail below...

Symptom:

Booting from CD, go through the normal prompts to install a fresh
version of XP. The setup program copies the required files to the HDD
and reboots. Upon reboot, I get an error message "error loading
operating system". No matter what I try (and the attempts are
detailed below), I can't get the mainboard to recognize that there is
an XP installation just waiting to be configured waiting on the C
drive.

What I'm using & what I've tried:

I'm simply using a Seagate ATA 10GB drive, freshly FDISK'd and
formatted with a 2GB FAT32 partition (leaving the rest empty, just
making this primary DOS partition active). I've also tried NTFS, it
doesn't solve the problem.

My new mainboard is the K8NS Pro; I've flashed it to F4 (no change in
symptoms) and disabled all of the RAID options (again, no change in
symptoms, although I haven't built up the HDD from scratch after doing
this).

I've also built up XP on this 10GB disk on my old Compaq Deskpro PIII
450 system; it installs as it should... but I can't get that
configured disk/OS to be recognized by my new mainboard (I've read
that I should be using some recovery options within the setup disk,
but I haven't got around to that yet, plus it seems a poor solution to
the problem of not being able to install from scratch).

Any light that can be shed would be much appreciated!

i have had a similar problem with this mb, but i solved it disabling both
raids. Try to unplug all drives from the mb except the master and the cd and
retry.

With another motherboard I have had another related problem, in this case I
have concluded that it was due to a faulty hard disk, it had been always
working perfectly as slave but it was not capable of booting. Try with
another hard disk.