Problems with SATA drives and XP

gem

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

Help!

Have just bought new PC (well components of and assembled). Has a
81PE775Pro MB and to Seagate HDD (80g & 120g). Set up, checked bios/cmos
set up - everything there. Loaded XP Pro checked everything through the
Device Manager - all OK. Went to Explorer and the 2nd HDD is not there...
checked to make sure nothing was disabled, no conflicts, etc... but XP
refuses to see the 120g drive - even though it's listed in the device
manager.

Wes.

In message <%uOdd.34364$5O5.9746@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, GEM
<wselwood@bigpond.dot.net.dot.au> writes
>Help!
>
>Have just bought new PC (well components of and assembled). Has a
>81PE775Pro MB and to Seagate HDD (80g & 120g). Set up, checked bios/cmos
>set up - everything there. Loaded XP Pro checked everything through the
>Device Manager - all OK. Went to Explorer and the 2nd HDD is not there...
>checked to make sure nothing was disabled, no conflicts, etc... but XP
>refuses to see the 120g drive - even though it's listed in the device
>manager.
>
>Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
>Wes.

You did format and partition it?

Can Disk Management see it?

Regards

--
Peter R Cook

gem

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

"Peter R Cook" <PCook@wisty.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <%uOdd.34364$5O5.9746@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, GEM
> <wselwood@bigpond.dot.net.dot.au> writes
>>Help!
>>
>>Have just bought new PC (well components of and assembled). Has a
>>81PE775Pro MB and to Seagate HDD (80g & 120g). Set up, checked bios/cmos
>>set up - everything there. Loaded XP Pro checked everything through the
>>Device Manager - all OK. Went to Explorer and the 2nd HDD is not there...
>>checked to make sure nothing was disabled, no conflicts, etc... but XP
>>refuses to see the 120g drive - even though it's listed in the device
>>manager.
>>
>>Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>>Wes.
>>

> You did format and partition it?
>
> Can Disk Management see it?
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Peter R Cook

I was distracted when setting it up, but remember formatting and
partitioning at least ONE of them... Disk Management sees C: in the top
section only, but in the bottom section has both listed - although the
second drive is UNALLOCATED as opposed to the NTFS HEALTHY indicated on the
drive above.

Would I be right in assuming that the second disk in unformatted and
therefore unseen?

Wes.

"GEM" <wselwood@bigpond.dot.net.dot.au> wrote in message

> I was distracted when setting it up, but remember formatting and
> partitioning at least ONE of them... Disk Management sees C: in the top
> section only, but in the bottom section has both listed - although the
> second drive is UNALLOCATED as opposed to the NTFS HEALTHY indicated on
> the drive above.
>
> Would I be right in assuming that the second disk in unformatted and
> therefore unseen?

Right-click on the second drive and format it. It should then be seen in
Windows Explorer, etc., and it'll then be usable.

In message <78Wdd.34501$5O5.12421@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, GEM
<wselwood@bigpond.dot.net.dot.au> writes

>"Peter R Cook" <PCook@wisty.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <%uOdd.34364$5O5.9746@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, GEM
>> <wselwood@bigpond.dot.net.dot.au> writes
>>>Help!
>>>
>>>Have just bought new PC (well components of and assembled). Has a
>>>81PE775Pro MB and to Seagate HDD (80g & 120g). Set up, checked bios/cmos
>>>set up - everything there. Loaded XP Pro checked everything through the
>>>Device Manager - all OK. Went to Explorer and the 2nd HDD is not there...
>>>checked to make sure nothing was disabled, no conflicts, etc... but XP
>>>refuses to see the 120g drive - even though it's listed in the device
>>>manager.
>>>
>>>Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>>
>>>Wes.
>>>

>> You did format and partition it?
>>
>> Can Disk Management see it?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> --
>> Peter R Cook
>
>I was distracted when setting it up, but remember formatting and
>partitioning at least ONE of them... Disk Management sees C: in the top
>section only, but in the bottom section has both listed - although the
>second drive is UNALLOCATED as opposed to the NTFS HEALTHY indicated on the
>drive above.
>
>Would I be right in assuming that the second disk in unformatted and
>therefore unseen?
>
>Wes.

C: is formatted and partitioned

The Unallocated drive is not formatted or partitioned. Explorer will
therefore ignore it. Simply use Disk Management to create a partition on
the drive and format it. Then explorer will see them.

(I think right click on the drive brings up the relevant context menu)

Regards
--
Peter R Cook

gem

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

> Help!
>
> Have just bought new PC (well components of and assembled). Has a
> 81PE775Pro MB and to Seagate HDD (80g & 120g). Set up, checked bios/cmos
> set up - everything there. Loaded XP Pro checked everything through the
> Device Manager - all OK. Went to Explorer and the 2nd HDD is not there...
> checked to make sure nothing was disabled, no conflicts, etc... but XP
> refuses to see the 120g drive - even though it's listed in the device
> manager.

> Wes.

Thank you all very much - you were right, it just needed formatting! What a
bonehead...

> Thank you all very much - you were right, it just needed formatting! What
> a bonehead...
>
> Wes.

LOL!!

TRENDING THREADS