Does Speedfan work with the K8NS (non-Pro)?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2004 2:47:44 AM

Hi,

I am thinking of choosing the Gigabyte GA-K8NS for my upgrade to a
Sempron 3100+. However, being a bit of a quiet PC freak, I would like
a board with a fan controller that is capable of stopping the CPU fan
at idle (made possible due to the low idle power use of the CG rev.
A64 core and the monster heatsinks that are now standard).

Gigabyte does not appear provide a BIOS or software function for fan
control on the GA-K8NS at all. However, third-party software like
Speedfan is capable of slowing/stopping the CPU fan as long as the
hardware supports this. My current motherboard, a GA-7N400-L, supports
stopping the CPU fan with Speedfan even though Gigabyte does not
provide any hint the board supports this.

My question for any K8NS (non-Pro) owners out there is: have you tried
Speedfan, and does it allow you to stop the CPU fan?

Thanks,

Ed

More about : speedfan work k8ns pro

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2004 3:55:24 AM

"Ed Masters" <master_ed@mailup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of choosing the Gigabyte GA-K8NS for my upgrade to a
> Sempron 3100+. However, being a bit of a quiet PC freak, I would like
> a board with a fan controller that is capable of stopping the CPU fan
> at idle (made possible due to the low idle power use of the CG rev.
> A64 core and the monster heatsinks that are now standard).
>
> Gigabyte does not appear provide a BIOS or software function for fan
> control on the GA-K8NS at all. However, third-party software like
> Speedfan is capable of slowing/stopping the CPU fan as long as the
> hardware supports this. My current motherboard, a GA-7N400-L, supports
> stopping the CPU fan with Speedfan even though Gigabyte does not
> provide any hint the board supports this.
>
> My question for any K8NS (non-Pro) owners out there is: have you tried
> Speedfan, and does it allow you to stop the CPU fan?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed

here is the general answer - nforce3 chipset seems supported

http://www.almico.com/forumindex.php
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2004 5:58:27 AM

Ed Masters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of choosing the Gigabyte GA-K8NS for my upgrade to a
> Sempron 3100+. However, being a bit of a quiet PC freak, I would like
> a board with a fan controller that is capable of stopping the CPU fan
> at idle (made possible due to the low idle power use of the CG rev.
> A64 core and the monster heatsinks that are now standard).
>
> Gigabyte does not appear provide a BIOS or software function for fan
> control on the GA-K8NS at all. However, third-party software like
> Speedfan is capable of slowing/stopping the CPU fan as long as the
> hardware supports this. My current motherboard, a GA-7N400-L, supports
> stopping the CPU fan with Speedfan even though Gigabyte does not
> provide any hint the board supports this.
>
> My question for any K8NS (non-Pro) owners out there is: have you tried
> Speedfan, and does it allow you to stop the CPU fan?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed
Yes Speedfan works with the Gigabyte GA-K8NS. It controls the CPU fan and
does quieten things down if you take it down to about 20%. However Speedfan
has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to 100% and
noisy. I suggestion as ability to set the start up percentage but the author
of Speedfan is not too responsive to suggestions.

In the end I bought a simple hardware controller and turned the damn thing
down permanently. Much better.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2004 5:58:28 AM

>However Speedfan
>has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to 100% and
>noisy.

I just installed SpeedFan 4.17 and it DOES save the settings.

I can adjust the CPU fan speed from 0RPM up to 100% and after close
SpeedFan and restart, all values are back (Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro).

SpeedFan can adjust the fan speed automatically.

Moritz
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2004 10:59:28 AM

Moritz Kürten wrote:
>> However Speedfan
>> has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to
>> 100% and noisy.
>
> I just installed SpeedFan 4.17 and it DOES save the settings.
>
> I can adjust the CPU fan speed from 0RPM up to 100% and after close
> SpeedFan and restart, all values are back (Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro).
>
> SpeedFan can adjust the fan speed automatically.
>
> Moritz
Good to know, maybe the new version will do the job.
!