Does Speedfan work with the K8NS (non-Pro)?

Hi,

I am thinking of choosing the Gigabyte GA-K8NS for my upgrade to a
Sempron 3100+. However, being a bit of a quiet PC freak, I would like
a board with a fan controller that is capable of stopping the CPU fan
at idle (made possible due to the low idle power use of the CG rev.
A64 core and the monster heatsinks that are now standard).

Gigabyte does not appear provide a BIOS or software function for fan
control on the GA-K8NS at all. However, third-party software like
Speedfan is capable of slowing/stopping the CPU fan as long as the
hardware supports this. My current motherboard, a GA-7N400-L, supports
stopping the CPU fan with Speedfan even though Gigabyte does not
provide any hint the board supports this.

My question for any K8NS (non-Pro) owners out there is: have you tried
Speedfan, and does it allow you to stop the CPU fan?

Thanks,

Ed
4 answers Last reply
More about does speedfan work k8ns

    "Ed Masters" <master_ed@mailup.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am thinking of choosing the Gigabyte GA-K8NS for my upgrade to a
    > Sempron 3100+. However, being a bit of a quiet PC freak, I would like
    > a board with a fan controller that is capable of stopping the CPU fan
    > at idle (made possible due to the low idle power use of the CG rev.
    > A64 core and the monster heatsinks that are now standard).
    >
    > Gigabyte does not appear provide a BIOS or software function for fan
    > control on the GA-K8NS at all. However, third-party software like
    > Speedfan is capable of slowing/stopping the CPU fan as long as the
    > hardware supports this. My current motherboard, a GA-7N400-L, supports
    > stopping the CPU fan with Speedfan even though Gigabyte does not
    > provide any hint the board supports this.
    >
    > My question for any K8NS (non-Pro) owners out there is: have you tried
    > Speedfan, and does it allow you to stop the CPU fan?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ed

    here is the general answer - nforce3 chipset seems supported

    http://www.almico.com/forumindex.php

    Ed Masters wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am thinking of choosing the Gigabyte GA-K8NS for my upgrade to a
    > Sempron 3100+. However, being a bit of a quiet PC freak, I would like
    > a board with a fan controller that is capable of stopping the CPU fan
    > at idle (made possible due to the low idle power use of the CG rev.
    > A64 core and the monster heatsinks that are now standard).
    >
    > Gigabyte does not appear provide a BIOS or software function for fan
    > control on the GA-K8NS at all. However, third-party software like
    > Speedfan is capable of slowing/stopping the CPU fan as long as the
    > hardware supports this. My current motherboard, a GA-7N400-L, supports
    > stopping the CPU fan with Speedfan even though Gigabyte does not
    > provide any hint the board supports this.
    >
    > My question for any K8NS (non-Pro) owners out there is: have you tried
    > Speedfan, and does it allow you to stop the CPU fan?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ed
    Yes Speedfan works with the Gigabyte GA-K8NS. It controls the CPU fan and
    does quieten things down if you take it down to about 20%. However Speedfan
    has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to 100% and
    noisy. I suggestion as ability to set the start up percentage but the author
    of Speedfan is not too responsive to suggestions.

    In the end I bought a simple hardware controller and turned the damn thing
    down permanently. Much better.

    >However Speedfan
    >has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to 100% and
    >noisy.

    I just installed SpeedFan 4.17 and it DOES save the settings.

    I can adjust the CPU fan speed from 0RPM up to 100% and after close
    SpeedFan and restart, all values are back (Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro).

    SpeedFan can adjust the fan speed automatically.

    Moritz
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Moritz Kürten wrote:
    >> However Speedfan
    >> has no way to remember that setting so every re boot your back to
    >> 100% and noisy.
    >
    > I just installed SpeedFan 4.17 and it DOES save the settings.
    >
    > I can adjust the CPU fan speed from 0RPM up to 100% and after close
    > SpeedFan and restart, all values are back (Gigabyte K8VT800 Pro).
    >
    > SpeedFan can adjust the fan speed automatically.
    >
    > Moritz
    Good to know, maybe the new version will do the job.

Gigabyte Speedfan CPUs Motherboards