problems with contacting the DHCP server via a wireless ne..

Hi,

My problem is that my wireless card detects the wireless access point
but the router's dhcp server fails to initiate the computer with a
valid ip. Thus getting a random ip number and the 255.255.0.0 netmask
instead of 255.255.255.0

I have a
1) Modem (Motorolla Surfboard)
2) Router with DHCP enabled (D-Link DI-604)
3) Wireless Access Point with DHCP disabled (D-Link DWL-2000AP)
4) Win2k that connects well both by a ethernet network card and a
wireless network card.

5) XP that connects well via an ethernet card but doesn't want to work
with the wireless card(Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG).

Any ideas

TIA
Michael
1 answer Last reply
More about problems contacting dhcp server wireless

    "Michael" <mikeeria@interia.pl> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My problem is that my wireless card detects the wireless access point
    > but the router's dhcp server fails to initiate the computer with a
    > valid ip. Thus getting a random ip number and the 255.255.0.0 netmask
    > instead of 255.255.255.0
    >
    > I have a
    > 1) Modem (Motorolla Surfboard)
    > 2) Router with DHCP enabled (D-Link DI-604)
    > 3) Wireless Access Point with DHCP disabled (D-Link DWL-2000AP)
    > 4) Win2k that connects well both by a ethernet network card and a
    > wireless network card.
    >
    > 5) XP that connects well via an ethernet card but doesn't want to work
    > with the wireless card(Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG).
    >
    > Any ideas
    >

    > TIA
    > Michael

    I have a new Sony laptop that is doing the same thing, noone seems to have
    an answer. Ethernet is fine, other PC's log into the wireless router using
    Netgear wireless adapters, the laptop will not work even with a different
    wireless adapter.

Wireless DHCP Windows XP