what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboa..

what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not LBA48
bit?

I have XP SP2

will it work?

Will I have to partition?

Will some of it be detected?

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about what happen install motherboa

    Kenny S wrote:
    > what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not
    > LBA48 bit?
    >
    > I have XP SP2
    >
    > will it work?
    >
    > Will I have to partition?
    >
    > Will some of it be detected?

    If your hardware does not support the drive and you do not install some
    third party software (not recommended - but provided by the manufacturer) -
    then you won't have the full capacity of the drive.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Contact the motherboard manuf and ask that question.

    r.

    "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not LBA48
    > bit?
    >
    > I have XP SP2
    >
    > will it work?
    >
    > Will I have to partition?
    >
    > Will some of it be detected?
    >
    > Thanks

    i think you will only see 136gb of hard disk space or such..when you get
    the disk update to the latest bios and see if it works.

    i suggest borrowing a hard drive and testing it out first as well
    before going ahead with your purchase

    --
    bottle
    bottle's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=65

    " i think you will only see 136gb of hard disk" - Depends upon the
    motherboard and drivers.

    r.

    "bottle" <bottle.1gz599@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

    > i think you will only see 136gb of hard disk space or such..when you get
    > the disk update to the latest bios and see if it works.
    >
    > i suggest borrowing a hard drive and testing it out first as well
    > before going ahead with your purchase
    >

    > --
    > bottle
    > bottle's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=65
    > View this thread: http://forums.tech-arena.com/showthread.php?t=26898
    > Tech-Arena, Largest Technology Forums in India for free I.T. Computer
    > Support - http://forums.tech-arena.com

    If you are running XP with SP2, and the 200G drive is a second drive
    to the one that is already in the PC, run XP's Disk Management. It
    should show the entire drive regardless of the BIOS capability. Use
    Disk Managment to partition and format.

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:44:26 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
    wrote:

    >what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not LBA48
    >bit?
    >
    >I have XP SP2
    >
    >will it work?
    >
    >Will I have to partition?
    >
    >Will some of it be detected?
    >
    >Thanks

    andy, please tell me more about this.
    Indeed it will be the second drive, my first is a 80 GB maxtor, are you sure
    that XPSP2 will "see" all the capacity of the 200 gb drive????
    do you have any information aonline that describes this?

    Kenny S wrote:
    > andy, please tell me more about this.
    > Indeed it will be the second drive, my first is a 80 GB maxtor, are
    > you sure that XPSP2 will "see" all the capacity of the 200 gb
    > drive???? do you have any information aonline that describes this?

    Since SP1, Windows XP will "see" just about any drive your hardware can
    throw at it.
    I have a 300GB in one, I have several with RAIDed 300GB. Your true limit
    here is your hardware - your hardware sees it and Windows XP will have no
    problem with it.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    My observations are based on actual hands-on experience. Since early
    2003 I've been using 200GB hard drives on a variety of motherboards
    including three that had the 137GB BIOS limitation, and I've never had
    any problem using the full capacity of the drives. This is with both
    Windows 2000 and XP. The oldest board is an FIC VA-503A that was sold
    in late 1999.

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:13:17 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
    wrote:

    >andy, please tell me more about this.
    >Indeed it will be the second drive, my first is a 80 GB maxtor, are you sure
    >that XPSP2 will "see" all the capacity of the 200 gb drive????
    > do you have any information aonline that describes this?
    >

    >"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
    >> If you are running XP with SP2, and the 200G drive is a second drive
    >> to the one that is already in the PC, run XP's Disk Management. It
    >> should show the entire drive regardless of the BIOS capability. Use
    >> Disk Managment to partition and format.
    >>
    >> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:44:26 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not LBA48
    >>>bit?
    >>>
    >>>I have XP SP2
    >>>
    >>>will it work?
    >>>
    >>>Will I have to partition?
    >>>
    >>>Will some of it be detected?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    Thank you Andy,
    Your experience is helpfull for me because I might need to do the same in
    the future.
    As for this Matsonic 9127c, matsonic finally sent me an email and confirmed
    that it is 48-Bit LBA compatible

    "Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
    > My observations are based on actual hands-on experience. Since early
    > 2003 I've been using 200GB hard drives on a variety of motherboards
    > including three that had the 137GB BIOS limitation, and I've never had
    > any problem using the full capacity of the drives. This is with both
    > Windows 2000 and XP. The oldest board is an FIC VA-503A that was sold
    > in late 1999.
    >
    > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:13:17 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>andy, please tell me more about this.
    >>Indeed it will be the second drive, my first is a 80 GB maxtor, are you
    >>sure
    >>that XPSP2 will "see" all the capacity of the 200 gb drive????
    >> do you have any information aonline that describes this?
    >>

    >>"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
    >>> If you are running XP with SP2, and the 200G drive is a second drive
    >>> to the one that is already in the PC, run XP's Disk Management. It
    >>> should show the entire drive regardless of the BIOS capability. Use
    >>> Disk Managment to partition and format.

Hardware Microsoft HD Windows XP