what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboa..

December 9, 2004 12:44:26 AM

what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not LBA48
bit?

I have XP SP2

will it work?

Will I have to partition?

Will some of it be detected?

Thanks
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:44:27 AM

Kenny S wrote:
> what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not
> LBA48 bit?
>
> I have XP SP2
>
> will it work?
>
> Will I have to partition?
>
> Will some of it be detected?

If your hardware does not support the drive and you do not install some
third party software (not recommended - but provided by the manufacturer) -
then you won't have the full capacity of the drive.

--
<- Shenan ->
December 9, 2004 12:44:27 AM

Contact the motherboard manuf and ask that question.

r.

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not LBA48
> bit?
>
> I have XP SP2
>
> will it work?
>
> Will I have to partition?
>
> Will some of it be detected?
>
> Thanks

December 9, 2004 4:22:03 AM

i think you will only see 136gb of hard disk space or such..when you get
the disk update to the latest bios and see if it works.

i suggest borrowing a hard drive and testing it out first as well
before going ahead with your purchase

--
bottle
bottle's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=65

" i think you will only see 136gb of hard disk" - Depends upon the
motherboard and drivers.

r.

"bottle" <bottle.1gz599@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> i think you will only see 136gb of hard disk space or such..when you get
> the disk update to the latest bios and see if it works.
>
> i suggest borrowing a hard drive and testing it out first as well
> before going ahead with your purchase
>

> --
> bottle
> bottle's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=65
> View this thread: http://forums.tech-arena.com/showthread.php?t=26898
> Tech-Arena, Largest Technology Forums in India for free I.T. Computer
> Support - http://forums.tech-arena.com

December 9, 2004 9:09:53 AM

If you are running XP with SP2, and the 200G drive is a second drive
to the one that is already in the PC, run XP's Disk Management. It
should show the entire drive regardless of the BIOS capability. Use
Disk Managment to partition and format.

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:44:26 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not LBA48
>bit?
>
>I have XP SP2
>
>will it work?
>
>Will I have to partition?
>
>Will some of it be detected?
>
>Thanks

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:13:17 PM

andy, please tell me more about this.
Indeed it will be the second drive, my first is a 80 GB maxtor, are you sure
that XPSP2 will "see" all the capacity of the 200 gb drive????
do you have any information aonline that describes this?

"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
> If you are running XP with SP2, and the 200G drive is a second drive
> to the one that is already in the PC, run XP's Disk Management. It
> should show the entire drive regardless of the BIOS capability. Use
> Disk Managment to partition and format.
>
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:44:26 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not LBA48
>>bit?
>>
>>I have XP SP2
>>
>>will it work?
>>
>>Will I have to partition?
>>
>>Will some of it be detected?
>>
>>Thanks

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:13:18 PM

Kenny S wrote:
> andy, please tell me more about this.
> Indeed it will be the second drive, my first is a 80 GB maxtor, are
> you sure that XPSP2 will "see" all the capacity of the 200 gb
> drive???? do you have any information aonline that describes this?

Since SP1, Windows XP will "see" just about any drive your hardware can
throw at it.
I have a 300GB in one, I have several with RAIDed 300GB. Your true limit
here is your hardware - your hardware sees it and Windows XP will have no
problem with it.

--
<- Shenan ->
December 10, 2004 10:59:47 AM

My observations are based on actual hands-on experience. Since early
2003 I've been using 200GB hard drives on a variety of motherboards
including three that had the 137GB BIOS limitation, and I've never had
any problem using the full capacity of the drives. This is with both
Windows 2000 and XP. The oldest board is an FIC VA-503A that was sold
in late 1999.

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:13:17 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>andy, please tell me more about this.
>Indeed it will be the second drive, my first is a 80 GB maxtor, are you sure
>that XPSP2 will "see" all the capacity of the 200 gb drive????
> do you have any information aonline that describes this?
>

>"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
>> If you are running XP with SP2, and the 200G drive is a second drive
>> to the one that is already in the PC, run XP's Disk Management. It
>> should show the entire drive regardless of the BIOS capability. Use
>> Disk Managment to partition and format.
>>
>> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:44:26 +0200, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>what will happen if I install a 200 gb HD and my motherboard is not LBA48
>>>bit?
>>>
>>>I have XP SP2
>>>
>>>will it work?
>>>
>>>Will I have to partition?
>>>
>>>Will some of it be detected?
>>>
>>>Thanks

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 9:33:06 PM

Thank you Andy,
Your experience is helpfull for me because I might need to do the same in
the future.
As for this Matsonic 9127c, matsonic finally sent me an email and confirmed
that it is 48-Bit LBA compatible

!