Problem with SATA and Windows XP

I have just assembled a new computer with a Gigabyte GA-7VM400 AMF
motherboard, Maxtor SATA hard drive connected to SATA0 and a Sony DVD writer
connected as master on the IDE primary channel.
After switch-on it went through the usual procedure to the 'insert system
disk' prompt. I inserted Windows XP pro disc and this proceeded to load
numerous drivers, all indicated by a succession of single line statements at
the foot of the screen. It finally came to a halt with the message "hard
disk not present, cannot boot". Since then, all the machine will do is to
perform it's POST and hang on a screen showing all of the device IRQ
addresses and the final message as "Verifying DMI Pool Data...........".
Even if I clear the CMOS and start again, I do not get the same procedure
and I am not prompted for the system disc. I simply end up at the same
hang-up position. How can I get out of this closed loop?
The Sony DVD drive is reported correctly during the POST and the Maxtor is
also recognised but the info page flashes on and off so fast that I can just
about make out the word.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards to all.

Brian Cartwright wrote:
> I have just assembled a new computer with a Gigabyte GA-7VM400 AMF
> motherboard, Maxtor SATA hard drive connected to SATA0 and a Sony DVD
> writer connected as master on the IDE primary channel.
> After switch-on it went through the usual procedure to the 'insert
> system disk' prompt. I inserted Windows XP pro disc and this
> proceeded to load numerous drivers, all indicated by a succession of
> single line statements at the foot of the screen. It finally came to
> a halt with the message "hard disk not present, cannot boot". Since
> then, all the machine will do is to perform it's POST and hang on a
> screen showing all of the device IRQ addresses and the final message
> as "Verifying DMI Pool Data...........". Even if I clear the CMOS and
> start again, I do not get the same procedure and I am not prompted
> for the system disc. I simply end up at the same hang-up position.
> How can I get out of this closed loop?
> The Sony DVD drive is reported correctly during the POST and the
> Maxtor is also recognised but the info page flashes on and off so
> fast that I can just about make out the word.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Regards to all.

Look in the bios and check if the SATA0 disk is in the IDE mode.

don't you need the SATA driver on a floppy, to insert when the press f6
message comes up?

On this day, 29/10/2004 20:01, Paul H said the following:
> don't you need the SATA driver on a floppy, to insert when the press f6
> message comes up?

Yes, thats the way I do it.

--
d[®_®]b PK

interviewing people who can't talk
for people who can't read."

"Paul H" <mglj96@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<4182937c$0$1821$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>...

Yes you do need to have your SATA driver on a floppy disk during the
setup of WinXP. When XP installation starts up at the bottom of the
screen the first message you will see is "Press F-6 if you need to
install third party SCSI or RAID drivers" I may not have the exact
wording but you must hit F-6.

Installation will continue to install files needed for setup. Then it
will go to a screen asking if you need to install the thrid party SCSI
or RAID drivers to hit the "S" key. After hitting the "S" key it will
ask you to insert the floppy disk with the driver on it and to hit
enter. Then a list of the drivers on the floppy will come up and you
choose the WinXP driver from the list and hit "enter". This will take
you back to the screen asking you to hit the "S" key again to install
third party drivers. If you had an additional controller you would do
the same but since you don't you just hit "Enter" again and WinXP will
copy the driver files and continue to install the operating system.

This may sound strange because your putting in an SATA driver and not
a SCSI or RAID driver. But most SATA controllers do have the RAID
function and even the ones that don't are still seen in WinXP as a
SCSI controllers just like a RAID controller would be seen as a SCSI
device. Without adding the driver from the floppy procedure WinXP will
not detect a hard drive.

> don't you need the SATA driver on a floppy, to insert when the press f6
> message comes up?

>> don't you need the SATA driver on a floppy, to insert when the press f6
>> message comes up?

But the PC is not getting to that stage - it's hanging during the boot
process. Does he need to find a boot floppy and then format the hard disc,
start the install again and load the SATA drivers when the F6 message
appears?

Peter Seymour wrote:
>>> don't you need the SATA driver on a floppy, to insert when the
>>> press f6 message comes up?
>
> But the PC is not getting to that stage - it's hanging during the boot
> process. Does he need to find a boot floppy and then format the hard
> disc, start the install again and load the SATA drivers when the F6
> message appears?

The F6 stage happens during installation of windows not during a normal boot
up.

--

Brett

"Brett..." <blaniosh@saltwells.dudley.gov.uk> wrote in message

>> But the PC is not getting to that stage - it's hanging during the boot
>> process. Does he need to find a boot floppy and then format the hard
>> disc, start the install again and load the SATA drivers when the F6
>> message appears?
>
> The F6 stage happens during installation of windows not during a normal
> boot up.
>
> --
>
> Brett
You are right, so to get to the F6 message stage Brian will need to boot
from a floppy or a CD if his PC can do so, and then install the drivers when
the F6 message appears?
If you boot from the windows CD, you can use the repair option and it will
go through the driver load stage, but I seem to remember that this takes as
long as a fresh install.

http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/D4411F64797671ACCA256D44001A5530

Peter

Peter Seymour wrote:
> "Brett..." <blaniosh@saltwells.dudley.gov.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> But the PC is not getting to that stage - it's hanging during the
>>> boot process. Does he need to find a boot floppy and then format
>>> the hard disc, start the install again and load the SATA drivers
>>> when the F6 message appears?
>>
>> The F6 stage happens during installation of windows not during a
>> normal boot up.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brett
> You are right, so to get to the F6 message stage Brian will need to
> boot from a floppy or a CD if his PC can do so, and then install the
> drivers when the F6 message appears?

I don't think the XP CD likes being removed part way through an install. It
has always stalled when I've tried it - you need the SATA drivers on floppy.

--

Brett