Missing CDROM drive

Hello,

My son tried to install a new printer from his account, which has no
privileges to allow this action, and as a result the CDROM drive
dissapeared: it does no show inside MyComputer and the tray does not open
when the button is pressed. Now the computer takes several minutes to start
up while before it started up in less than a minute. We have winxp pro sp2.

Using system restore I set up a point a week ago and restored, but that did
not solve the problem.

Device manager does not show the drive either. Any ideas where to start
looking to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Guillermo Scharffenorth

If the drive is not present in Device Manager that eliminates the
possibility of removing the drive there, rebooting and allowing Windows to
find the drive and install the drivers for it. Have you tried the Add New
Hardware Wizard? That might work. Just let it search for the drivers by
itself. If it can't find them, use the option to find them yourself.

"Guillermo Scharffenorth" <gscharf@cantv.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My son tried to install a new printer from his account, which has no
> privileges to allow this action, and as a result the CDROM drive
> dissapeared: it does no show inside MyComputer and the tray does not open
> when the button is pressed. Now the computer takes several minutes to
start
> up while before it started up in less than a minute. We have winxp pro
sp2.

> Using system restore I set up a point a week ago and restored, but that
did
> not solve the problem.
>
> Device manager does not show the drive either. Any ideas where to start
> looking to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guillermo Scharffenorth

Kevin,

Are you a MS rep.? I was wondering by the address attached to your name.
Anyway, it seems like MANY, MANY people are having the SAME problem with XP
SP2...suddenly the DVD (or whatever) disappears. Isn't there a link to a
site somehwhere that can allow the masses to solve our problems?!

-Scott