Athlon xp questions

Hi,

I read on a web site that the athlon xp has some extra commands that
are not supported on early socket a motherboards. I emailed GB and
they did not know anything about this!

Please can you tell me, what are these extra commands, and which
processors have them? Is it that the "xp" brand of athlon has a few
commands more than the athlons before them?

I have a 1gb athlon and a 2600+ xp athlon. Does this mean the 2600+
has extra commands because it is an xp?

Which mobos support these extra commands? Does my 7dxr offer the
support?

Thanks.

I have no idea about the commands or anything, but if you're wondering
if you can use the 2600+ on your 7DXR, then the answer is maybe.
You need:
1 - a 2600+ processor with a 266MHz front side bus (not 333MHz)
2 - the latest bios which I think you have (F10?)

You should have a look at the gigabyte web site and look up the
support documents on your motherboard.

--

Vu.

nospam@nospam.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read on a web site that the athlon xp has some extra commands that
> are not supported on early socket a motherboards. I emailed GB and
> they did not know anything about this!
>
> Please can you tell me, what are these extra commands, and which
> processors have them? Is it that the "xp" brand of athlon has a few
> commands more than the athlons before them?
>
> I have a 1gb athlon and a 2600+ xp athlon. Does this mean the 2600+
> has extra commands because it is an xp?
>
> Which mobos support these extra commands? Does my 7dxr offer the
> support?
>
> Thanks

Don't know about the motherboard support, but AthlonXPs can utilize
Intel's SSE instruction set, thus possibly speeding up certain
applications that were compiled with SSE optimizations.