Why is there a distinction between "Work" and "The Interne..

July 9, 2004 10:12:43 PM

I have an HP iPaq h4100 with built-in 802.11b, and I can browse the
web through my wireless access point just fine. But if I try to
access a network share on my Windows 2000 PC, I get this error:

"In order to connect to your work network you will need to configure a
VPN connection."

If I go to Network Settings | Advanced | Network Card, select my
wireless network, and change "Connects to" from "The Internet" to
"Work", I can access my network share without any trouble--but I can't
access the Internet. I get this error:

"In order to connect to the Internet you will need to configure a
Proxy."

If I go to the "Proxy Settings" tab of "My Work Network"
configuration, there is a checkbox that says "This network connects to
the Internet", but it doesn't have any effect--in fact, it doesn't
even stay checked if I hit OK and come back into the dialog.

Why all the complexity? Why can't I access both the LAN and the
Internet at the same time without setting up a VPN or Proxy?

Also, is there any way to make Media Player play media files that are
hosted on a network share? I can copy them down and play them, but it
would be much better if I could skip that step (and save the storage
space).
July 10, 2004 3:43:21 AM

Select copy from the network location then on the device select paste
shortcut.
you can then double click (tap) the shortcut and it will play the media file
located on the network.

> Also, is there any way to make Media Player play media files that are
> hosted on a network share? I can copy them down and play them, but it
> would be much better if I could skip that step (and save the storage
> space).
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 9:27:03 AM

Look at this page for help setting up the WM2003 Connection Manager..

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/Connection_Manager...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jeremy Stanley" <stanmuffin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP iPaq h4100 with built-in 802.11b, and I can browse the
> web through my wireless access point just fine. But if I try to
> access a network share on my Windows 2000 PC, I get this error:
>
> "In order to connect to your work network you will need to configure a
> VPN connection."
>

> If I go to Network Settings | Advanced | Network Card, select my
> wireless network, and change "Connects to" from "The Internet" to
> "Work", I can access my network share without any trouble--but I can't
> access the Internet. I get this error:
>
> "In order to connect to the Internet you will need to configure a
> Proxy."
>

> If I go to the "Proxy Settings" tab of "My Work Network"
> configuration, there is a checkbox that says "This network connects to
> the Internet", but it doesn't have any effect--in fact, it doesn't
> even stay checked if I hit OK and come back into the dialog.
>

> Why all the complexity? Why can't I access both the LAN and the
> Internet at the same time without setting up a VPN or Proxy?
>
> Also, is there any way to make Media Player play media files that are
> hosted on a network share? I can copy them down and play them, but it
> would be much better if I could skip that step (and save the storage
> space).

---
September 2, 2004 4:23:47 PM

"Jeremy Stanley" <stanmuffin@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Why all the complexity? Why can't I access both the LAN and the
> Internet at the same time without setting up a VPN or Proxy?

Ive set my PPC to use WORK for everything. I cant recall atm but theres a
place where you can choose whether to use WORK or INTERNET for local and
internet addresses - Ive set both to WORK and can surf, sync, and browse the
local network. Ive also set all my network cards to connect to WORK. Adding
a dial up number to the WORK profile allows me to do everything when I
connect via a mobile phone, and Ive also indicated that the WORK profile
allows me to connect to the Internet.

I assume I can do this cos I have no need for VPN access as yet. If things
were different I think Id have to use the built in "routing" of local and
Internet addresses, and indicate which wireless network connect to which,
and if required set up proxy access via the VPN connection.

Not sure if any of that helps you though!

> Also, is there any way to make Media Player play media files that are
> hosted on a network share? I can copy them down and play them, but it
> would be much better if I could skip that step (and save the storage
> space).

Resco seems to allow you to open files over the network without copying them
first.