CDs will play but sound is distorted, scratchy, horrible

I am a novice, so bear with me. My CDs will play, but the sound is scratchy
and distorted. I had this problem when I first got the laptop (Latitude
D600), then it cleared up, and a few months later, it has gone awry again. I
can't understand it. All drivers are installed and show no signs of error.
MP3 files play perfectly. DVDs sound great. The CDs are just horrible.
This is not isolated to just WMP - it is the same with all my audio players.
I need help. I welcome any and all suggestions. Contact me at
acbrady@gmail.com - I appreciate it. Alex Brady

Sorry, but we only reply in newsgroups. This is to help others with the
same problems.

Have you tried to re-install your sound drivers?

"fake_plastic_brady" <fake_plastic_brady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8D28F222-3DD7-40DD-8D53-914434B24051@microsoft.com...