Really odd hard disk problem

Have two hard drives in my system. Both 80gb. I have deleted literally
everything off the slave drive except a Powerquest backup file which is
shown as 22,647,168 KB. When I check the properties of both hard drives the
slave shows 76.6GB and free space of 6.68GB !!! There are no partitions on
either disks. The only slightly odd thing I have done is make the master
disk my "D" drive and the slave "C". Can't think this can have any bearing
on this odd problem though.

I have emptied the normal recycle bin, (am using Norton's Protected recycle
bin).

Any ideas???

Many thanks, John Lowe UK

"John Lowe" <john@johnlowe.co.uk> wrote in message
| Have two hard drives in my system. Both 80gb. I have deleted literally
| everything off the slave drive except a Powerquest backup file which is
| shown as 22,647,168 KB. When I check the properties of both hard drives
the
| slave shows 76.6GB and free space of 6.68GB !!! There are no partitions on
| either disks. The only slightly odd thing I have done is make the master
| disk my "D" drive and the slave "C". Can't think this can have any bearing
| on this odd problem though.
|
| I have emptied the normal recycle bin, (am using Norton's Protected
recycle
| bin).
|
| Any ideas???
|
| Many thanks, John Lowe UK

SequoiaView is an excellent free (and clean) utility helpful in tracking
down mysterious missing drive space.

It provides a one window graphical representation of which files are taking
up how much space where on a drive, often quickly and easily tracking down
files that Windows is reluctant to reveal.

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

(It's kinda fun too) :)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

"John Lowe" <john@johnlowe.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have two hard drives in my system. Both 80gb. I have deleted literally
> everything off the slave drive except a Powerquest backup file which is
> shown as 22,647,168 KB. When I check the properties of both hard drives
the
> slave shows 76.6GB and free space of 6.68GB !!! There are no partitions on
> either disks. The only slightly odd thing I have done is make the master
> disk my "D" drive and the slave "C". Can't think this can have any bearing
> on this odd problem though.
>
> I have emptied the normal recycle bin, (am using Norton's Protected
recycle
> bin).
>
> Any ideas???
>
> Many thanks, John Lowe UK

Your post is a little puzzling. You say "There are no partitions on
either disk", but you also say that you have deleted everthing
except for the PowerQuest backup file. The two statements are
contradictory: Either you have some partitions (with some files),
or you have no partitions (in which case you have no files at all.

I suspect that you do have a partition on each disk. I also
suspect that you have some hidden folders. Did you tick
the box that makes Explorer show hidden and system files?

Please clarify. You should also state what tools you use to
determine the amount of used space and free space.

You need at least ONE partition on each drive in order to store files.

Emptied your Norton Protected ecycle bin files???

"John Lowe" <john@johnlowe.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have two hard drives in my system. Both 80gb. I have deleted literally
> everything off the slave drive except a Powerquest backup file which is
> shown as 22,647,168 KB. When I check the properties of both hard drives
> the slave shows 76.6GB and free space of 6.68GB !!! There are no
> partitions on either disks. The only slightly odd thing I have done is
> make the master disk my "D" drive and the slave "C". Can't think this can
> have any bearing on this odd problem though.
>
> I have emptied the normal recycle bin, (am using Norton's Protected
> recycle bin).
>
> Any ideas???
>
> Many thanks, John Lowe UK

Both disks are setup as a "single" drive, that is, not partitioned into
several "drives" as per PartitionMagic etc.
Disk D has WINXP and all my programmes on it and Disk C, the slave disk, has
absolutely nothing except the Powerquest backup file, when viewed in
Explorer. "My Computer" confirms the free space as 6.68GB. Hidden folders is
checked to show them.
WINXP was loaded on to the slave disk prior to me installing it on the other
disk and then making it a slave, if you follow.Hence it is still shown as
Drive "C". I installed WINXP on the other disk, an IBM Deskstar, as I
believed the original "C" drive, now the slave, might have developed some
bad sectors.( Phew this is complicated...can't blame you if you don't follow
and switch off!).

All very strange. I intend to format the slave disk and presumably that will
free up the whole 80gb!!

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> Your post is a little puzzling. You say "There are no partitions on
> either disk", but you also say that you have deleted everthing
> except for the PowerQuest backup file. The two statements are
> contradictory: Either you have some partitions (with some files),
> or you have no partitions (in which case you have no files at all.
>
> I suspect that you do have a partition on each disk. I also
> suspect that you have some hidden folders. Did you tick
> the box that makes Explorer show hidden and system files?
>
> Please clarify. You should also state what tools you use to
> determine the amount of used space and free space.

This means that each disk as one partition!