Really odd hard disk problem

Have two hard drives in my system. Both 80gb. I have deleted literally
everything off the slave drive except a Powerquest backup file which is
shown as 22,647,168 KB. When I check the properties of both hard drives the
slave shows 76.6GB and free space of 6.68GB !!! There are no partitions on
either disks. The only slightly odd thing I have done is make the master
disk my "D" drive and the slave "C". Can't think this can have any bearing
on this odd problem though.

I have emptied the normal recycle bin, (am using Norton's Protected recycle
bin).

Any ideas???

Many thanks, John Lowe UK
5 answers Last reply
More about really hard disk problem

    "John Lowe" <john@johnlowe.co.uk> wrote in message
    | Have two hard drives in my system. Both 80gb. I have deleted literally
    | everything off the slave drive except a Powerquest backup file which is
    | shown as 22,647,168 KB. When I check the properties of both hard drives
    the
    | slave shows 76.6GB and free space of 6.68GB !!! There are no partitions on
    | either disks. The only slightly odd thing I have done is make the master
    | disk my "D" drive and the slave "C". Can't think this can have any bearing
    | on this odd problem though.
    |
    | I have emptied the normal recycle bin, (am using Norton's Protected
    recycle
    | bin).
    |
    | Any ideas???
    |
    | Many thanks, John Lowe UK

    SequoiaView is an excellent free (and clean) utility helpful in tracking
    down mysterious missing drive space.

    It provides a one window graphical representation of which files are taking
    up how much space where on a drive, often quickly and easily tracking down
    files that Windows is reluctant to reveal.

    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

    (It's kinda fun too) :-)

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    "John Lowe" <john@johnlowe.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Have two hard drives in my system. Both 80gb. I have deleted literally
    > everything off the slave drive except a Powerquest backup file which is
    > shown as 22,647,168 KB. When I check the properties of both hard drives
    the
    > slave shows 76.6GB and free space of 6.68GB !!! There are no partitions on
    > either disks. The only slightly odd thing I have done is make the master
    > disk my "D" drive and the slave "C". Can't think this can have any bearing
    > on this odd problem though.
    >
    > I have emptied the normal recycle bin, (am using Norton's Protected
    recycle
    > bin).
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Many thanks, John Lowe UK

    Your post is a little puzzling. You say "There are no partitions on
    either disk", but you also say that you have deleted everthing
    except for the PowerQuest backup file. The two statements are
    contradictory: Either you have some partitions (with some files),
    or you have no partitions (in which case you have no files at all.

    I suspect that you do have a partition on each disk. I also
    suspect that you have some hidden folders. Did you tick
    the box that makes Explorer show hidden and system files?

    Please clarify. You should also state what tools you use to
    determine the amount of used space and free space.

    You need at least ONE partition on each drive in order to store files.

    Emptied your Norton Protected ecycle bin files???

    "John Lowe" <john@johnlowe.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Have two hard drives in my system. Both 80gb. I have deleted literally
    > everything off the slave drive except a Powerquest backup file which is
    > shown as 22,647,168 KB. When I check the properties of both hard drives
    > the slave shows 76.6GB and free space of 6.68GB !!! There are no
    > partitions on either disks. The only slightly odd thing I have done is
    > make the master disk my "D" drive and the slave "C". Can't think this can
    > have any bearing on this odd problem though.
    >
    > I have emptied the normal recycle bin, (am using Norton's Protected
    > recycle bin).
    >
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Many thanks, John Lowe UK

    Both disks are setup as a "single" drive, that is, not partitioned into
    several "drives" as per PartitionMagic etc.
    Disk D has WINXP and all my programmes on it and Disk C, the slave disk, has
    absolutely nothing except the Powerquest backup file, when viewed in
    Explorer. "My Computer" confirms the free space as 6.68GB. Hidden folders is
    checked to show them.
    WINXP was loaded on to the slave disk prior to me installing it on the other
    disk and then making it a slave, if you follow.Hence it is still shown as
    Drive "C". I installed WINXP on the other disk, an IBM Deskstar, as I
    believed the original "C" drive, now the slave, might have developed some
    bad sectors.( Phew this is complicated...can't blame you if you don't follow
    and switch off!).

    All very strange. I intend to format the slave disk and presumably that will
    free up the whole 80gb!!

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > Your post is a little puzzling. You say "There are no partitions on
    > either disk", but you also say that you have deleted everthing
    > except for the PowerQuest backup file. The two statements are
    > contradictory: Either you have some partitions (with some files),
    > or you have no partitions (in which case you have no files at all.
    >
    > I suspect that you do have a partition on each disk. I also
    > suspect that you have some hidden folders. Did you tick
    > the box that makes Explorer show hidden and system files?
    >
    > Please clarify. You should also state what tools you use to
    > determine the amount of used space and free space.

    This means that each disk as one partition!

    > Both disks are setup as a "single" drive, that is, not partitioned into
    > several "drives" as per PartitionMagic etc.
    > Disk D has WINXP and all my programmes on it and Disk C, the slave disk,
    has
    > absolutely nothing except the Powerquest backup file, when viewed in
    > Explorer. "My Computer" confirms the free space as 6.68GB. Hidden folders
    is
    > checked to show them.
    > WINXP was loaded on to the slave disk prior to me installing it on the
    other
    > disk and then making it a slave, if you follow.Hence it is still shown as
    > Drive "C". I installed WINXP on the other disk, an IBM Deskstar, as I
    > believed the original "C" drive, now the slave, might have developed some
    > bad sectors.( Phew this is complicated...can't blame you if you don't
    follow
    > and switch off!).
    >
    > All very strange. I intend to format the slave disk and presumably that
    will
    > free up the whole 80gb!!
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >

    > > Your post is a little puzzling. You say "There are no partitions on
    > > either disk", but you also say that you have deleted everthing
    > > except for the PowerQuest backup file. The two statements are
    > > contradictory: Either you have some partitions (with some files),
    > > or you have no partitions (in which case you have no files at all.
    > >
    > > I suspect that you do have a partition on each disk. I also
    > > suspect that you have some hidden folders. Did you tick
    > > the box that makes Explorer show hidden and system files?
    > >
    > > Please clarify. You should also state what tools you use to
    > > determine the amount of used space and free space.

Hard Drives Windows XP