Serial to PS/2 mouse change

Hi
i just bought a ps/2 optical A4tech mouse. I had a standard serial mouse
installed before. Now when i plug the new mouse and start winXP (SP1) it
stucks when entering. I only can enter in secure mode, and the mouse appears
installed and working fine in control panel. I even downloaded drivers from
the manufacturer but it still don't work.
Anyone knows what can i do about it??
please help
Thanx in advance
2 answers Last reply
More about serial mouse change

    "sirchainsawguy" wrote:
    > Hi
    > i just bought a ps/2 optical A4tech mouse. I had a standard
    > serial mouse
    > installed before. Now when i plug the new mouse and start
    > winXP (SP1) it
    > stucks when entering. I only can enter in secure mode, and the
    > mouse appears
    > installed and working fine in control panel. I even downloaded
    > drivers from
    > the manufacturer but it still don't work.
    > Anyone knows what can i do about it??
    > please help
    > Thanx in advance

    Check your COM ports, you may need to disable one in your bios or from
    device manager. I can’t remember exactly, because this is a problem on
    older machines, but its something like the PC can’t use 1 and 3 at the
    same time or 2 and 4, only one or the other, so find what COM port the
    serial was using and disable it, then try the new mouse.

    --
    http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Hardware-Serial-PS-mouse-change-ftopict235656.html

    Thanx very much Kold, my mouse is working perfectly. i has to deactivate
    serial port 1 on the bios to solve it

    Greetings

    "Kold" wrote:

    > "sirchainsawguy" wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > i just bought a ps/2 optical A4tech mouse. I had a standard
    > > serial mouse
    > > installed before. Now when i plug the new mouse and start
    > > winXP (SP1) it
    > > stucks when entering. I only can enter in secure mode, and the
    > > mouse appears
    > > installed and working fine in control panel. I even downloaded
    > > drivers from
    > > the manufacturer but it still don't work.
    > > Anyone knows what can i do about it??
    > > please help
    > > Thanx in advance
    >
    > Check your COM ports, you may need to disable one in your bios or from
    > device manager. I can’t remember exactly, because this is a problem on
    > older machines, but its something like the PC can’t use 1 and 3 at the
    > same time or 2 and 4, only one or the other, so find what COM port the
    > serial was using and disable it, then try the new mouse.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    > Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Hardware-Serial-PS-mouse-change-ftopict235656.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=711997