computer shuts down on its own all of a sudden.

Does any body have any ideas on how to fix this? all of a sudden the computer
restarts making me lose what ever I am doing. Do I have a hardware problem?
everything else seems to be working ok.
Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about computer shuts sudden

    cocodianos wrote:
    > Does any body have any ideas on how to fix this? all of a sudden the computer
    > restarts making me lose what ever I am doing. Do I have a hardware problem?
    > everything else seems to be working ok.
    > Thanks.

    If the PC just turns itself off without warning, something is prbably
    over-heating. Have you made sure that the interior of the PC's case is
    dust-free and that all of the cooling fans are working properly?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi

    Any error messages to work with?

    If you don't see any error messages, right click on My Computer, select
    Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on Settings under Startup and
    Recovery and disable 'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC reboots
    itself,
    you should see a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop Code from that
    BSOD?

    Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may
    refer to the problem.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "cocodianos" <cocodianos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does any body have any ideas on how to fix this? all of a sudden the
    > computer
    > restarts making me lose what ever I am doing. Do I have a hardware
    > problem?
    > everything else seems to be working ok.
    > Thanks.

    A Blue Screen of Death is not needed. Information is stored
    in the event (system) log. Important historical information
    would be found there (see Windows Help to learn more). Also
    important information not provided (which is why few can
    provide a useful answer) is information from Device Manager
    and results from the manufacturer's comprehensive diagnostics
    (that every responsible computer manufacturer provides for
    free).

    Heat is not a reason for failure. Your computer must work
    just fine even when room temperature is 100+ degrees F. Heat
    is a diagnostic tool to find defective hardware. In fact
    heating selective components as hot as possible with a
    hairdryer on high - then running the comprehensive diagnostic
    for that component - can find a failed part before it fails
    completely.

    Too many are quick to blame heat when they have little
    knowledge of computers beyond 'board swapping' and 'more
    fans'. Heat as a reason for problem means the computer never
    worked properly - was defective before it was built - could
    not operate in a 100 degree F room.

    XP is so stable because very little hardware can cause a
    system crash. 'Usual suspects include video card, sound card,
    CPU sub-system, memory, power supply, and drivers for those
    peripherals. But long before any one can help (and long
    before you shotgun - replace - parts in a 'hail mary'
    solution), you must first collect and provide useful facts.
    Above are standard information first required.

    "Will Denny" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Any error messages to work with?
    >
    > If you don't see any error messages, right click on My
    > Computer, select
    > Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on Settings under
    > Startup and
    > Recovery and disable 'Automatically restart'. Next time your
    > PC reboots
    > itself,
    > you should see a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop
    > Code from that
    > BSOD?
    >
    > Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any
    > entries there may
    > refer to the problem.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "cocodianos" <cocodianos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > Does any body have any ideas on how to fix this? all of a
    > sudden the
    > > computer
    > > restarts making me lose what ever I am doing. Do I have a
    > hardware
    > > problem?
    > > everything else seems to be working ok.
    > > Thanks.

    This problem is also common with bad or inadequate power supplies. If
    you have just installed a new hard drive or something it could be
    maxing out the supply, or the supply is bad. Maybe you don’t have
    clean power?

    Also with power, you may have a short in a cable, this is common if
    you have extra lights and fans.

    Static can also do this, if you are on carpet use some antistatic
    spray.

    As mentioned heat can be a culprit too, check your processor
    manufacturer for ideal temperature and use the bios screen to check it
    or download a trial version of a temp utility.

    --
    http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Hardware-computer-shuts-sudden-ftopict235752.html

    "w_tom1" wrote:
    > A Blue Screen of Death is not needed. Information is stored
    > in the event (system) log. Important historical information
    > would be found there (see Windows Help to learn more). Also
    > important information not provided (which is why few can
    > provide a useful answer) is information from Device Manager
    > and results from the manufacturer's comprehensive diagnostics
    > (that every responsible computer manufacturer provides for
    > free).
    >
    > Heat is not a reason for failure. Your computer must work
    > just fine even when room temperature is 100+ degrees F. Heat
    > is a diagnostic tool to find defective hardware. In fact
    > heating selective components as hot as possible with a
    > hairdryer on high - then running the comprehensive diagnostic
    > for that component - can find a failed part before it fails
    > completely.
    >
    > Too many are quick to blame heat when they have little
    > knowledge of computers beyond 'board swapping' and 'more
    > fans'. Heat as a reason for problem means the computer never
    > worked properly - was defective before it was built - could
    > not operate in a 100 degree F room.
    >
    > XP is so stable because very little hardware can cause a
    > system crash. 'Usual suspects include video card, sound card,
    > CPU sub-system, memory, power supply, and drivers for those
    > peripherals. But long before any one can help (and long
    > before you shotgun - replace - parts in a 'hail mary'
    > solution), you must first collect and provide useful facts.
    > Above are standard information first required.
    >
    > cocodianos wrote:
    > > Does any body have any ideas on how to fix this? all of a
    > sudden
    > > the computer restarts making me lose what ever I am doing.
    > Do I
    > > have a hardware problem? everything else seems to be
    > working ok.
    > > Thanks.

    That all sounds good, but processors do get heated up and they do
    cause a reboot. Things like clogged up heatsink fans, lack of
    lubrication in the fan, too little or ineffective conductive grease on
    the processor. All these problems can crop up on a perfectly built PC.
    This is why PC are "cooled", because they fail when there is too
    much "heat".

    --
    http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Hardware-computer-shuts-sudden-ftopict235752.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=716416

    If a processor heats in a 70 degree F room to cause reboots,
    then semiconductor or other hardware is defective. In fact,
    Intel CPUs even back to some 486s simply slow down if too hot;
    no reboots and no damage.

    Posted are other myths about heat such as a 'need' for
    thermal compound. Thermal compound typically results in a
    less than 10 degree temperature reduction in CPU heat - a
    reduction that should be totally irrelevant to whether a CPU
    overheats and reboots. More important reasons for using
    thermal compounds are heatsinks not properly machined. If
    thermal compound results in greater temperature reduction,
    then the computer assembler should first start with himself as
    reasons for the problem. We recommend thermal compound because
    too many computer assemblers buy defective heatsinks. They
    buy on price rather than degrees C per watt.

    Yes a stuck fan can cause problems. But will more cooling
    solve a hardware problem? Of course not. More fans cure
    symptoms.

    Will a hotter processor (still within manufacturers spec
    range) fail faster? Yes. And then we apply numbers to the
    conclusion. So it will fail in 100 years instead of 150
    years. Who cares? Those who make claims without numbers
    promote half truths. When numbers are applied, claims about
    'heat causing premature failure' becomes irrelevant.

    Heat is a problem when IC temperature exceeds manufacturer
    limits. An IC operating within manufacturer numbers that
    fails when warmer (and still within specs) is defective and
    must be replaced. Heat is the diagnostic tool to find
    defective hardware - including a stuck fan or a CPU heatsink
    that was not properly machined.

    Applying thermal compound to fix a defective heatsink does
    not solve the real problem- a human who buys heatsinks on
    price rather than first obtaining thermal conductivity
    numbers. Heat is a tool to find defects. Too many computer
    assemblers would rather cool their mistakes with too many fans
    rather than deal with THE reasons for that failure. If the
    processor gets so hot as to cause reboots, then we have a
    defect that must be fixed. Too much heat did not cause that
    processor reboot. Something defective causes too much heat to
    cause a reboot. Use heat to find and replace defective
    hardware - such as heatsinks machined so poorly as to require
    thermal compound or too much thermal compound between CPU and
    heatsink.

    What is too much heat? Temperatures that exceed those
    manufacturer numbers. Old engineer's guideline for
    semiconductors: touch it and it does not leave skin, then it
    is not too hot.

    "w_tom1" wrote:
> [...]
    > hardware - such as heatsinks machined so poorly as to require
    > thermal compound or too much thermal compound between CPU and
    > heatsink.
    >
    > What is too much heat? Temperatures that exceed those
    > manufacturer numbers. Old engineer's guideline for
    > semiconductors: touch it and it does not leave skin, then it
    > is not too hot.
    >

    > Kold wrote:
    > > That all sounds good, but processors do get heated up and
    > they do
    > > cause a reboot. Things like clogged up heatsink fans, lack
    > of
    > > lubrication in the fan, too little or ineffective conductive
    > grease on
    > > the processor. All these problems can crop up on a perfectly
    > built PC.
    > > This is why PC are "cooled", because they fail when there is

    w_tom,
    either you’ve never used AMD processors, or you read to
    many books. A fan failure will kill a modern AMD processor in about 30
    minutes or less, if you don’t believe that, go ahead and try. Also,
    have you noticed that AMD puts thermal compound on it’s heatsinks? Go
    ahead and peel that off and see how long that lasts.

    --
    http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Hardware-computer-shuts-sudden-ftopict235752.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=718038

Hardware Computers Hardware Problem Microsoft Windows XP Product