can't open/close CD disc drive

My computer came with a CD burner and recently after having problems with the
power source fixed, the drive used to burn CD's won't open (the drive above
it works fine) I'm not sure if something got unplugged accidentally but I
can't find any loose connections - I might possibly need to update the Roxio
CD software, but I don't want to spend the money to do that if the drive
won't even open...PLEASE HELP!!!

When you open 'My Computer', is the drive listed?

If not, it might be unplugged

If it is, right-click that drive letter, properties,hardware tab, highlight
device.
Check to see if 'Device Properties' (within the hardware tab section) states
the device is working properly.

--
~Jeff~
[Microsoft Windows XP Pro,Office 2000]
"marabara" <marabara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer came with a CD burner and recently after having problems with
the
> power source fixed, the drive used to burn CD's won't open (the drive
above
> it works fine) I'm not sure if something got unplugged accidentally but I
> can't find any loose connections - I might possibly need to update the
Roxio
> CD software, but I don't want to spend the money to do that if the drive
> won't even open...PLEASE HELP!!!

"marabara" <marabara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer came with a CD burner and recently after having problems with
the
> power source fixed, the drive used to burn CD's won't open (the drive
above
> it works fine) I'm not sure if something got unplugged accidentally but I
> can't find any loose connections - I might possibly need to update the
Roxio
> CD software, but I don't want to spend the money to do that if the drive
> won't even open...PLEASE HELP!!!

This is unlikely to have anything to do with the software.

Power cycle the system - turn it fully off - and watch the drive lights as
the system powers up. The drive light should come on (and turn off) as the
BIOS tests the hardware.

If it doesn't, it is probably just a loose cable. Please be sure to
physically check cabling with the power OFF!

HTH
-pk