Installing Hardware Problems

I am performing an OS change from Win98 SE to WinXP Pro SP2. I am having
two hardware problems I have not been able to resolve on my own or with an
internet search.

Hopefully somebody can help me.

The first one is that the program wants to install a multimedia controller.
I am not sure what Windows thinks it is finding.

PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 0, device 16, function 0)
This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Device Instance Id:
PCI\VEN_1105&DEV_8300&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02\2&EBB567F&0&80

Hardware lds: PCI\VEN_1105&DEV_8300&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1105&DEV_8300&SUBSYS_00000000
PCI\VEN_1105&DEV_8300&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1105&DEV_8300
PCI\VEN_1105&DEV_8300&CC_048000
PCI\VEN_1105&DEV_8300&CC_0480

Compatible Lds: PCI\VEN_1105&DEV_8300&CC_048000
PCI\VEN_1105&DEV_8300&CC_0480
PCI\VEN_1105
PCI\CC_048000
PCI\CC_0480

Current Power State: D3
Power Capabilities: PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
Power State Mappings: S0->D0
S1->Unspecified
S2->Unspecified
S3->D3
S4->D3
S5->D3

Hopefully from the above somebody can give me some ideas regarding this
multimedia controller WinXP is trying to install.

The big problem is I can not get my Nvidia based FX 5200 video controller to
install.

Currently: VGA Controller (VGA Compatible)

PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

Device Instance Id:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1\3&27528C43&1&0008

Hardware lds: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_00000000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&REV_A1
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&CC_0300

Compatible lds: PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0300
PCI\VEN_10DE
PCI\CC_030000
PCI\CC_0300

Current Power State: D3
Power Capabilities: PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
Power State Mappings: S0->D0
S1->Unspecified
S2->Unspecified
S3->D3
S4->D3
S5->D3

When I try to install the drivers for the FX5200 there appears there may be
a resource conflict between the video card and the VIA CPU To AGP
Controller.

The computer is an older 800 Mhz Pentium III Micron Millennia with 512 megs
of memory.

I know this is a lot of information and probably not the right information.
I would sure appreciate some guidance in how I can over come these hardware
conflicts.

--
<Bill>

Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Before you insta;;ed XP did you run the Upgrade Advisor? It would have given
you a list of incompatible hardware and software.

A multimedia controller could be a sound card device. Did you update your
soundcard with XP drivers? Same for the video card.

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if there are multiple errors in Device
Manager. Remove all duplicates and/or error indicating devices and boot
again to see if XP will 'fix' the errors.

"Bill Bradshaw" <bradshaw@arctic.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
> Power State Mappings: S0->D0
> S1->Unspecified
> S2->Unspecified
> S3->D3
> S4->D3
> S5->D3
>
> When I try to install the drivers for the FX5200 there appears there may
> be a resource conflict between the video card and the VIA CPU To AGP
> Controller.
>
> The computer is an older 800 Mhz Pentium III Micron Millennia with 512
> megs of memory.
>
> I know this is a lot of information and probably not the right
> information. I would sure appreciate some guidance in how I can over come
> these hardware conflicts.
>
> --
> <Bill>
>
> Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

I did run upgrade advisor and did not receive any incompatible hardware or
software errors. I should have stated I am doing a clean install and not an
upgrade from Win98 SE.

The sound is 128 Voice PCI Waveable Onboard Sound.
Name Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
Manufacturer Creative Technology Ltd.
Status OK
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_1371&SUBSYS_18541042&REV_08\2&EBB567F&0&70
I/O Port 0x0000E800-0x0000E83F
IRQ Channel IRQ 10
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\es1371mp.sys (5.1.3612.0 built by:
WinDDK, 39.88 KB (40,832 bytes), 12/9/2004 9:52 AM)

Conflicts/Sharing
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VgaSave
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP Controller

IRQ 10 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
IRQ 10 U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem Win 1806
IRQ 10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller

IRQ 11 Multimedia Controller
IRQ 11 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 11 U.S. Robotics 56K Fax PCI

IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Memory Address 0xCF400-0xEFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xCF400-0xEFFFF Motherboard resources

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VgaSave
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VgaSave
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP Controller

Memory Address 0xDC000000-0xDDFFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xDC000000-0xDDFFFFFF Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I will give it ago and report back.

--

Jerry wrote:
> Before you insta;;ed XP did you run the Upgrade Advisor? It would
> have given you a list of incompatible hardware and software.
>
> A multimedia controller could be a sound card device. Did you update
> your soundcard with XP drivers? Same for the video card.
>
> Try booting into Safe Mode and see if there are multiple errors in
> Device Manager. Remove all duplicates and/or error indicating devices
> and boot again to see if XP will 'fix' the errors.

Seems like if you are doing a clean install, you didnt delete partition that
contained previous system. There should be no sharing conflicts this way.
Delete partition, reformat unpartitioned space to NTFS and install Windows
XP. XP should have all the drivers for an older system, if not you certainly
should be able to add them after OS install. Good Luck!

"Bill Bradshaw" wrote:

> I did run upgrade advisor and did not receive any incompatible hardware or
> software errors. I should have stated I am doing a clean install and not an
> upgrade from Win98 SE.
>
> The sound is 128 Voice PCI Waveable Onboard Sound.
> Name Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
> Manufacturer Creative Technology Ltd.
> Status OK
> PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_1371&SUBSYS_18541042&REV_08\2&EBB567F&0&70
> I/O Port 0x0000E800-0x0000E83F
> IRQ Channel IRQ 10
> Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\es1371mp.sys (5.1.3612.0 built by:
> WinDDK, 39.88 KB (40,832 bytes), 12/9/2004 9:52 AM)
>
> Conflicts/Sharing
> I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VgaSave
> I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
>
> IRQ 10 Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
> IRQ 10 U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem Win 1806
> IRQ 10 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
>
> IRQ 11 Multimedia Controller
> IRQ 11 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
> IRQ 11 U.S. Robotics 56K Fax PCI
>
> IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
> IRQ 9 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
>
> Memory Address 0xCF400-0xEFFFF PCI bus
> Memory Address 0xCF400-0xEFFFF Motherboard resources
>
> Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
> Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
>
> Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VgaSave
> Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
>
> I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VgaSave
> I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP Controller
>
> Memory Address 0xDC000000-0xDDFFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
> Memory Address 0xDC000000-0xDDFFFFFF Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
>
> I will give it ago and report back.
>
> --
> <Bill>
>
> Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
> N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)
>
> Jerry wrote:
> > Before you insta;;ed XP did you run the Upgrade Advisor? It would
> > have given you a list of incompatible hardware and software.
> >
> > A multimedia controller could be a sound card device. Did you update
> > your soundcard with XP drivers? Same for the video card.
> >
> > Try booting into Safe Mode and see if there are multiple errors in
> > Device Manager. Remove all duplicates and/or error indicating devices
> > and boot again to see if XP will 'fix' the errors.

Jerry, I resolved the multimedia controller problem but I still can not get
the Nvidia FX5200 video card to install. I have XP drivers for it that I
can install under safe mode but do not work when I boot into XP. XP wants
to put my video card into VGA compatible mode with an error mark. Any other
suggestions?

Jerry wrote:
> Before you insta;;ed XP did you run the Upgrade Advisor? It would
> have given you a list of incompatible hardware and software.
>
> A multimedia controller could be a sound card device. Did you update
> your soundcard with XP drivers? Same for the video card.
>
> Try booting into Safe Mode and see if there are multiple errors in
> Device Manager. Remove all duplicates and/or error indicating devices

I formatted the harddisk. That had to clean it. I have resolved my
multimedia card issues but I still have not been able to get the video card
to install.