problems with USB flash drive and USB ports

whenever i insert my flashdrive into a usb port while the laptop is on , it
crashes and says there is a serious error. But if insert it into off mode ,
there is no problem.
Thus i cannot connect my flashdrive in middle of something i am doing and i
have to turn off the laptop and then attach it . I am using win xp all
updated with service pack 2

Hi Nitin, some thoughts...

1. Disconnect all other USB devices(except USB KB and mouse)
2. Check if there are issues with USB devices in Device Manager.

Have you ever used the flash drive successfully on your laptop and how did
the issue started?

Abhilash tibrewal