Wireless NIC - CDROM required?

I am considering buying a D-Link AirPlus G 802.11g Wireless LAN PC Card
(DWL-630), however a CDROM drive is listed in the system requirements and
the Windows XP system we intend to use it on has no CDROM drive.

Considering that the CDROM drives of a Windows ME system, and a Linux system
are available over a (wired) network, is a CRDOM drive really needed?

"Timothy Baldwin" <T.E.Baldwin99@members.leeds.ac.uk> wrote in message

> I am considering buying a D-Link AirPlus G 802.11g Wireless LAN PC Card
> (DWL-630), however a CDROM drive is listed in the system requirements and
> the Windows XP system we intend to use it on has no CDROM drive.
>
> Considering that the CDROM drives of a Windows ME system, and a Linux
system
> are available over a (wired) network, is a CRDOM drive really needed?

The CD requirement is just because dLink provides the drivers and installer
on CD. If you can get the CD contents to the target system by another
method, you'll be fine.

However, note that if you don't copy the installer files locally, you may
run into a problem if the hardware installer wants to add files after a
reboot and before (wired) network connections are established.

HTH
-pk

The CDROM is stated as being needed as the drivers are supplied on a CD. If you have another method
of being able to install the drivers then no a physical CD ROM is not needed.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

In message <8wpud.47069$Uf.42351@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, David Vair
<dvair@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> The CDROM is stated as being needed as the drivers are supplied on a CD.
> If you have another method of being able to install the drivers then no a
> physical CD ROM is not needed.

Just as I suspected, but I wanted a second opinion.

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), ANL, Leeds SA, Leeds Anti-war coalition
OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B 94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4