Installing the HP DeskJet 5150 Color Printer

I have a PC running XP Home SP1. My printer for the past 5 years has
been a HP DeskJet 712C, which connects via a parallel port. I plan to get a
faster USB printer in a few weeks and am considering the HP DeskJet 5150
Color Printer.

Got a couple of questions about the 5150:

1) During installation, does the HP instruction manual suggest you use the
drivers from their CD-ROM, or do they recommend allowing XP to use it's own
drivers? I would assume the former since they include a CD-ROM. Just
curious, because when I installed the old 712C printer, XP installed the
drivers on it's own, without any need for a disc.

2) My computer has USB ports at the 2.0 speed. Will the 5150 printer take
advantage of that capability?
4 answers Last reply
More about installing deskjet 5150 color printer

    "History Fan" <IHateSPAM!!@IHateSPAM!!.com> wrote in message

    > Got a couple of questions about the 5150:
    >
    > 1) During installation, does the HP instruction manual suggest you use the
    > drivers from their CD-ROM, or do they recommend allowing XP to use it's own
    > drivers? I would assume the former since they include a CD-ROM. Just
    > curious, because when I installed the old 712C printer, XP installed the
    > drivers on it's own, without any need for a disc.

    For best results use the drivers supplied on the CD or download the latest
    drivers from HP at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=304431&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228

    The version on the web is 9.4.2.0.

    > 2) My computer has USB ports at the 2.0 speed. Will the 5150 printer take
    > advantage of that capability?

    I believe the 5150 is USB 2.0 Full Speed, which is 12Mb/sand is really the same
    as USB 1.1. In any case the data transmission rate should not be the
    bottleneck in printing. USB 2.0 was a rather strange spec, where what was
    called USB 2.0 Full Speed is the same speed as USB 1.1 and the real high speed
    is USB 2.0 High Speed. See http://www.usb.org/info/usb_nomenclature for a
    diversion into the USB naming convention.

    Regards,

    A USB 1.1 port will be faster than any printer, so I would not be concerned
    about the USB speed!

    As for the drivers, the one that is with XP is very basic, and will not have
    all the features that come with the manufacture printer software. I would
    suggest using the software that comes with the printer, as long as it is
    rated for XP. If you want the most recent, go to the HP site, and download
    the complete software package for your printer. They may also have a lot of
    free optional utilities as well.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "History Fan" <IHateSPAM!!@IHateSPAM!!.com> wrote in message
    I have a PC running XP Home SP1. My printer for the past 5 years has
    been a HP DeskJet 712C, which connects via a parallel port. I plan to get a
    faster USB printer in a few weeks and am considering the HP DeskJet 5150
    Color Printer.

    Got a couple of questions about the 5150:

    1) During installation, does the HP instruction manual suggest you use the
    drivers from their CD-ROM, or do they recommend allowing XP to use it's own
    drivers? I would assume the former since they include a CD-ROM. Just
    curious, because when I installed the old 712C printer, XP installed the
    drivers on it's own, without any need for a disc.

    2) My computer has USB ports at the 2.0 speed. Will the 5150 printer take
    advantage of that capability?

    Thanks for the responses. I just previewed the HP 5150 at my local
    Office Depot. In addition to malfunctioning when I printed a test page, the
    design seems rather flimsy and cheap. I may rethink my choice.

    "Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > A USB 1.1 port will be faster than any printer, so I would not be
    concerned
    > about the USB speed!
    >
    > As for the drivers, the one that is with XP is very basic, and will not
    have
    > all the features that come with the manufacture printer software. I would
    > suggest using the software that comes with the printer, as long as it is
    > rated for XP. If you want the most recent, go to the HP site, and download
    > the complete software package for your printer. They may also have a lot
    of
    > free optional utilities as well.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry G.
    > =====
    >

    > "History Fan" <IHateSPAM!!@IHateSPAM!!.com> wrote in message
    > I have a PC running XP Home SP1. My printer for the past 5 years
    has
    > been a HP DeskJet 712C, which connects via a parallel port. I plan to get
    > faster USB printer in a few weeks and am considering the HP DeskJet 5150
    > Color Printer.
    >
    > Got a couple of questions about the 5150:
    >
    > 1) During installation, does the HP instruction manual suggest you use
    the
    > drivers from their CD-ROM, or do they recommend allowing XP to use it's
    own
    > drivers? I would assume the former since they include a CD-ROM. Just
    > curious, because when I installed the old 712C printer, XP installed the
    > drivers on it's own, without any need for a disc.
    >
    > 2) My computer has USB ports at the 2.0 speed. Will the 5150 printer
    take
    > advantage of that capability?

    Did more printer previewing today and noticed the HP 3650 Inkjet
    printer. It's smaller than the HP 5150, which I like, and the construction
    seems to be more solid.

Printers Deskjet Hewlett Packard Windows XP Peripherals