Ad hoc wireless network - my computers can't see each other

Hi!

I've been recently given a PCI wireless card for my desktop (LG, LWG5400N,
802.11g) and a PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop (LG, LWG5400P, 802.11g).
Both are new.

I installed the cards and both computers say the devices are working
properly. I updated their drivers to the XP SP2 drivers found on
www.lgnetwork.com and followed the instructions given at:

Those instructions were a tad bit different because they were not written
for SP2, but I managed to follow every step.

Even though the laptop is beside the desktop, they can't find each other.
When I set either of them to be the ad hoc host, the other won't detect it
and I won't get the "Wireless Network Detected" message.

Over the weekend, somehow the computers detected each other and I was able
to transfer files and access the Internet, but it only last about 2 mins.
After that, the icon on the task bar showed that red "X" and said the
wireless connection was off. I wonder if I have hardware problems. Maybe one
of the cards is not working properly?

Do you have any suggestions? Any help would be really appreciated.

Hello,

I believe that some network drivers do not broadcast beacons for Ad-hoc
networks. This may be why the other computer is not detecting the ad-hoc
network.

You might try creating the Ad-hoc network in the preferred list on both
computers. Follow the same instructions for creating the Ad-hoc network on
both computers.

Thanks,
Chris Gual [MSFT]

"bohemia" <bohemia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I've been recently given a PCI wireless card for my desktop (LG, LWG5400N,
> 802.11g) and a PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop (LG, LWG5400P, 802.11g).
> Both are new.
>
> I installed the cards and both computers say the devices are working
> properly. I updated their drivers to the XP SP2 drivers found on
> www.lgnetwork.com and followed the instructions given at:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
>
> Those instructions were a tad bit different because they were not written
> for SP2, but I managed to follow every step.
>
> Even though the laptop is beside the desktop, they can't find each other.
> When I set either of them to be the ad hoc host, the other won't detect it
> and I won't get the "Wireless Network Detected" message.
>
> Over the weekend, somehow the computers detected each other and I was able
> to transfer files and access the Internet, but it only last about 2 mins.
> After that, the icon on the task bar showed that red "X" and said the
> wireless connection was off. I wonder if I have hardware problems. Maybe
> one
> of the cards is not working properly?
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Any help would be really appreciated.

Hi Chris.

I tried that over the weekend and nothing happens...

Unless there are settings I don't know of, I must be facing hardware issues,
since I followed all the instructions Barb gave on her article.

Thanks for replying!