Ad hoc wireless network - my computers can't see each other

Hi!

I've been recently given a PCI wireless card for my desktop (LG, LWG5400N,
802.11g) and a PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop (LG, LWG5400P, 802.11g).
Both are new.

I installed the cards and both computers say the devices are working
properly. I updated their drivers to the XP SP2 drivers found on
www.lgnetwork.com and followed the instructions given at:

Those instructions were a tad bit different because they were not written
for SP2, but I managed to follow every step.

Even though the laptop is beside the desktop, they can't find each other.
When I set either of them to be the ad hoc host, the other won't detect it
and I won't get the "Wireless Network Detected" message.

Over the weekend, somehow the computers detected each other and I was able
to transfer files and access the Internet, but it only last about 2 mins.
After that, the icon on the task bar showed that red "X" and said the
wireless connection was off. I wonder if I have hardware problems. Maybe one
of the cards is not working properly?

Do you have any suggestions? Any help would be really appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless network computers other

    Hello,

    I believe that some network drivers do not broadcast beacons for Ad-hoc
    networks. This may be why the other computer is not detecting the ad-hoc
    network.

    You might try creating the Ad-hoc network in the preferred list on both
    computers. Follow the same instructions for creating the Ad-hoc network on
    both computers.

    Thanks,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    "bohemia" <bohemia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I've been recently given a PCI wireless card for my desktop (LG, LWG5400N,
    > 802.11g) and a PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop (LG, LWG5400P, 802.11g).
    > Both are new.
    >
    > I installed the cards and both computers say the devices are working
    > properly. I updated their drivers to the XP SP2 drivers found on
    > www.lgnetwork.com and followed the instructions given at:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
    >
    > Those instructions were a tad bit different because they were not written
    > for SP2, but I managed to follow every step.
    >
    > Even though the laptop is beside the desktop, they can't find each other.
    > When I set either of them to be the ad hoc host, the other won't detect it
    > and I won't get the "Wireless Network Detected" message.
    >
    > Over the weekend, somehow the computers detected each other and I was able
    > to transfer files and access the Internet, but it only last about 2 mins.
    > After that, the icon on the task bar showed that red "X" and said the
    > wireless connection was off. I wonder if I have hardware problems. Maybe
    > one
    > of the cards is not working properly?
    >
    > Do you have any suggestions? Any help would be really appreciated.

    Hi Chris.

    I tried that over the weekend and nothing happens...

    Unless there are settings I don't know of, I must be facing hardware issues,
    since I followed all the instructions Barb gave on her article.

    Thanks for replying!

    "Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I believe that some network drivers do not broadcast beacons for Ad-hoc
    > networks. This may be why the other computer is not detecting the ad-hoc
    > network.
    >
    > You might try creating the Ad-hoc network in the preferred list on both
    > computers. Follow the same instructions for creating the Ad-hoc network on
    > both computers.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris Gual [MSFT]
    >

    > "bohemia" <bohemia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I've been recently given a PCI wireless card for my desktop (LG, LWG5400N,
    > > 802.11g) and a PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop (LG, LWG5400P, 802.11g).
    > > Both are new.
    > >
    > > I installed the cards and both computers say the devices are working
    > > properly. I updated their drivers to the XP SP2 drivers found on
    > > www.lgnetwork.com and followed the instructions given at:
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
    > >
    > > Those instructions were a tad bit different because they were not written
    > > for SP2, but I managed to follow every step.
    > >
    > > Even though the laptop is beside the desktop, they can't find each other.
    > > When I set either of them to be the ad hoc host, the other won't detect it
    > > and I won't get the "Wireless Network Detected" message.
    > >
    > > Over the weekend, somehow the computers detected each other and I was able
    > > to transfer files and access the Internet, but it only last about 2 mins.
    > > After that, the icon on the task bar showed that red "X" and said the
    > > wireless connection was off. I wonder if I have hardware problems. Maybe
    > > one
    > > of the cards is not working properly?
    > >
    > > Do you have any suggestions? Any help would be really appreciated.

Wireless Wireless Network Computers Wireless Networking