WTB: GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 motherboard

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm seeking a GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 MB for my new project. Please email with details:

astrobob@hotmail.com

Rob,
I built my last computer project with this board. It is the first Gigabyte
board I have used, as have used ASUS boards for years.

All I can say is the board works as advertised. I have a PCI-64 Firewire-800
board in one of the PCI-X slots (Firewire support is not on this board). I
use an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in the AGP slot, 2 512MB PC3200 DDR sticks of
Crucial memory. and a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS.

My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to be
connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller. This
means I have to connect my 2 74G Western Digital Raptor SATA hard drives
(non Raid) and another 250GB Western Digital SATA hard drive to the Sil 3114
Controller.

My SCSI devices, a VXA Tape drive and a 36GB IBM SCSI hard drive work as my
system backup. I normally disable the SCSI controller in the MB BIOS and
enable SCSI when I want to perform a system backup.

Availability? Gigabyte manufactured only a single run of these boards. They
were snapped-up very quickly. I bought mine from NewEgg and they only had
them about a week and I believe I paid about $350.00. Good luck on finding a
new one.

Jeff

"Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:<fRGmd.417303$D%.15291@attbi_s51>...
> Rob,
> I built my last computer project with this board. It is the first Gigabyte
> board I have used, as have used ASUS boards for years.
>
> All I can say is the board works as advertised. I have a PCI-64 Firewire-800
> board in one of the PCI-X slots (Firewire support is not on this board). I
> use an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in the AGP slot, 2 512MB PC3200 DDR sticks of
> Crucial memory. and a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS.
>
> My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
> Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
> will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to be
> connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller. This
> means I have to connect my 2 74G Western Digital Raptor SATA hard drives
> (non Raid) and another 250GB Western Digital SATA hard drive to the Sil 3114
> Controller.
>
> My SCSI devices, a VXA Tape drive and a 36GB IBM SCSI hard drive work as my
> system backup. I normally disable the SCSI controller in the MB BIOS and
> enable SCSI when I want to perform a system backup.
>
> Availability? Gigabyte manufactured only a single run of these boards. They
> were snapped-up very quickly. I bought mine from NewEgg and they only had
> them about a week and I believe I paid about $350.00. Good luck on finding a
> new one.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Rob" <astrobob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm seeking a GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 MB for my new project. Please email with
> > details:
> >
> > astrobob@hotmail.com

Newegg as of 2 days ago--$189 US

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:45:15 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
>Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
>will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to be

It is not the board, it is Silicon Image. The Sil 3114, onboard or as
PCI card, can only be used with hard disks.

>connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller. This

You may have a look at following article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html

Udo Kammer

Udo,
Here's the link to this subject on the Silicon Image website.
http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=ULwO0A442oKs512Q04X5i0UupP4SveI6dt2WJi7&cid=2&r=0.1760675

The Sil 3114 chip will work with CDROMs but must meet certain requirements
(read link above). My Plextor 712SA is a native SATA device and my Asus
DVD-E616P has a bridge adapter card with a Sil 31611 chip. Both my devices
should work but they do not.

Jeff

"Udo Kammer" <usenet.spam@gmx.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:45:15 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
> wrote:
>
>>My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
>>Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
>>will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to
>>be
>
> It is not the board, it is Silicon Image. The Sil 3114, onboard or as
> PCI card, can only be used with hard disks.
>
>>connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller.
>>This
>
> You may have a look at following article.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html
>
> Udo Kammer

Udo,
Sorry about the link...
Enter portal using above link, locate and press Serial ATA button, select
controllers, select Sil3114, the statement I was reffering to in my earlier
post is the last one on this page.

Jeff

> Udo,
> Here's the link to this subject on the Silicon Image website.
> http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=ULwO0A442oKs512Q04X5i0UupP4SveI6dt2WJi7&cid=2&r=0.1760675
>
> The Sil 3114 chip will work with CDROMs but must meet certain requirements
> (read link above). My Plextor 712SA is a native SATA device and my Asus
> DVD-E616P has a bridge adapter card with a Sil 31611 chip. Both my devices
> should work but they do not.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Udo Kammer" <usenet.spam@gmx.org> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:45:15 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
>>>Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
>>>will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to
>>>be
>>
>> It is not the board, it is Silicon Image. The Sil 3114, onboard or as
>> PCI card, can only be used with hard disks.
>>
>>>connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller.
>>>This
>>
>> You may have a look at following article.
>>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html
>>
>> Udo Kammer

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:20:33 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
wrote:

Hello Jeff,

>The Sil 3114 chip will work with CDROMs but must meet certain requirements
>(read link above). My Plextor 712SA is a native SATA device and my Asus
>DVD-E616P has a bridge adapter card with a Sil 31611 chip. Both my devices
>should work but they do not.

I know this link. About 8 month ago I had the problem to connect a
Yamaha CRW-F1 to SATA. The Onboard-Controller was the Sil 3114 and the
bridge adapter card with a Sil 3611 chip. It was impossible to use the
CD-writer on SATA. I asked the support from Silicon Image and they
told me, that the bridge can only be used with hard disks.
Unfortunately I have cancelled the email.

Now I have the Plextor PX-712SA and a SATA Harddisk from Samsung
connected to the onboard SATA-controller integrated in intel's i875.
It works without any problems.

Udo Kammer

TRENDING THREADS