WTB: GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 motherboard

I'm seeking a GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 MB for my new project. Please email with details:

astrobob@hotmail.com
6 answers Last reply
More about 8knxp ultra motherboard

    Rob,
    I built my last computer project with this board. It is the first Gigabyte
    board I have used, as have used ASUS boards for years.

    All I can say is the board works as advertised. I have a PCI-64 Firewire-800
    board in one of the PCI-X slots (Firewire support is not on this board). I
    use an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in the AGP slot, 2 512MB PC3200 DDR sticks of
    Crucial memory. and a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS.

    My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
    Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
    will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to be
    connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller. This
    means I have to connect my 2 74G Western Digital Raptor SATA hard drives
    (non Raid) and another 250GB Western Digital SATA hard drive to the Sil 3114
    Controller.

    My SCSI devices, a VXA Tape drive and a 36GB IBM SCSI hard drive work as my
    system backup. I normally disable the SCSI controller in the MB BIOS and
    enable SCSI when I want to perform a system backup.

    Availability? Gigabyte manufactured only a single run of these boards. They
    were snapped-up very quickly. I bought mine from NewEgg and they only had
    them about a week and I believe I paid about $350.00. Good luck on finding a
    new one.

    Jeff

    "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:<fRGmd.417303$D%.15291@attbi_s51>...
    > Rob,
    > I built my last computer project with this board. It is the first Gigabyte
    > board I have used, as have used ASUS boards for years.
    >
    > All I can say is the board works as advertised. I have a PCI-64 Firewire-800
    > board in one of the PCI-X slots (Firewire support is not on this board). I
    > use an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in the AGP slot, 2 512MB PC3200 DDR sticks of
    > Crucial memory. and a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS.
    >
    > My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
    > Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
    > will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to be
    > connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller. This
    > means I have to connect my 2 74G Western Digital Raptor SATA hard drives
    > (non Raid) and another 250GB Western Digital SATA hard drive to the Sil 3114
    > Controller.
    >
    > My SCSI devices, a VXA Tape drive and a 36GB IBM SCSI hard drive work as my
    > system backup. I normally disable the SCSI controller in the MB BIOS and
    > enable SCSI when I want to perform a system backup.
    >
    > Availability? Gigabyte manufactured only a single run of these boards. They
    > were snapped-up very quickly. I bought mine from NewEgg and they only had
    > them about a week and I believe I paid about $350.00. Good luck on finding a
    > new one.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Rob" <astrobob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm seeking a GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 MB for my new project. Please email with
    > > details:
    > >
    > > astrobob@hotmail.com

    Newegg as of 2 days ago--$189 US

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:45:15 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
    wrote:

    >My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
    >Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
    >will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to be

    It is not the board, it is Silicon Image. The Sil 3114, onboard or as
    PCI card, can only be used with hard disks.

    >connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller. This

    You may have a look at following article.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html

    Udo Kammer
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Udo,
    Here's the link to this subject on the Silicon Image website.
    http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=ULwO0A442oKs512Q04X5i0UupP4SveI6dt2WJi7&cid=2&r=0.1760675

    The Sil 3114 chip will work with CDROMs but must meet certain requirements
    (read link above). My Plextor 712SA is a native SATA device and my Asus
    DVD-E616P has a bridge adapter card with a Sil 31611 chip. Both my devices
    should work but they do not.

    Jeff

    "Udo Kammer" <usenet.spam@gmx.org> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:45:15 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
    >>Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
    >>will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to
    >>be
    >
    > It is not the board, it is Silicon Image. The Sil 3114, onboard or as
    > PCI card, can only be used with hard disks.
    >
    >>connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller.
    >>This
    >
    > You may have a look at following article.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html
    >
    > Udo Kammer
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Udo,
    Sorry about the link...
    Enter portal using above link, locate and press Serial ATA button, select
    controllers, select Sil3114, the statement I was reffering to in my earlier
    post is the last one on this page.

    Jeff

    > Udo,
    > Here's the link to this subject on the Silicon Image website.
    > http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index.asp?c=12&cpc=ULwO0A442oKs512Q04X5i0UupP4SveI6dt2WJi7&cid=2&r=0.1760675
    >
    > The Sil 3114 chip will work with CDROMs but must meet certain requirements
    > (read link above). My Plextor 712SA is a native SATA device and my Asus
    > DVD-E616P has a bridge adapter card with a Sil 31611 chip. Both my devices
    > should work but they do not.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Udo Kammer" <usenet.spam@gmx.org> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:45:15 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My only nagging complaint is how this board handles SATA CD-ROM devices.
    >>>Neither the Plextor DVDR PX-712A or Asus DVD-E616P with a SATA converter
    >>>will work on the Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATALink Controller; they have to
    >>>be
    >>
    >> It is not the board, it is Silicon Image. The Sil 3114, onboard or as
    >> PCI card, can only be used with hard disks.
    >>
    >>>connected to the Intel 6300ESB Ultra ATA SATA Storage/SATA Controller.
    >>>This
    >>
    >> You may have a look at following article.
    >>
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html
    >>
    >> Udo Kammer

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:20:33 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
    wrote:

    Hello Jeff,

    >The Sil 3114 chip will work with CDROMs but must meet certain requirements
    >(read link above). My Plextor 712SA is a native SATA device and my Asus
    >DVD-E616P has a bridge adapter card with a Sil 31611 chip. Both my devices
    >should work but they do not.

    I know this link. About 8 month ago I had the problem to connect a
    Yamaha CRW-F1 to SATA. The Onboard-Controller was the Sil 3114 and the
    bridge adapter card with a Sil 3611 chip. It was impossible to use the
    CD-writer on SATA. I asked the support from Silicon Image and they
    told me, that the bridge can only be used with hard disks.
    Unfortunately I have cancelled the email.

    Now I have the Plextor PX-712SA and a SATA Harddisk from Samsung
    connected to the onboard SATA-controller integrated in intel's i875.
    It works without any problems.

    Udo Kammer

Gigabyte Motherboards Email