No hard drive on boot up with GA-7N400 Pro2

Hi:

I've goat a GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard that will not identify my boot drive
(Seagate Ultra IDE ST3120022A 120 GB.) on the initial power up.

After failing to identify the drive, it continues to go throught the boot
sequence identifying my SATA drives and hangs after giving me the error
message: "Verifying DMI Pool Data....".

Should I power down, and restart the computer, it will bypass the POST and
identy the Seagate Ultra IDE and continue to start up normally.

Checked the motherboard battery for the CMOS and it's O.K.

Tried to enter the parameters for the drive manually and the motherboard
won't boot at all.

I can turn the computer off and on over very short periods of time and
everything will boot normally. If I boot the computer after a few hours of
inactivity, I have to reboot it twice to get it to start up. While I have
complete functionality of the computer after I have gone through this
routine, I find it frustrating that it will not just boot up normally.

System Info is as follows:

AMD Atlon XP 3200+ 2.2 Ghz
Bios: Nvidia - 42302e31 Award modular Bios (Dual Bios)
Memory: 2048MB
DVD; Plextor DVDR PX708-A
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9200 SE
SATA Drives: 120 Drives Striped
File System: NTFS
Operating System: Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 (problem existed before the
upgrade to service pack 2)
Just updated the the Bios to FJ from FE (problem existed before the upgrade)

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.

Paul Walker wrote:

> I can turn the computer off and on over very short periods of time and
> everything will boot normally. If I boot the computer after a few hours of
> inactivity, I have to reboot it twice to get it to start up. While I have
> complete functionality of the computer after I have gone through this
> routine, I find it frustrating that it will not just boot up normally.
>
> System Info is as follows:
>

> AMD Atlon XP 3200+ 2.2 Ghz
> Bios: Nvidia - 42302e31 Award modular Bios (Dual Bios)
> Memory: 2048MB
> DVD; Plextor DVDR PX708-A
> Video Card: ATI Radeon 9200 SE
> SATA Drives: 120 Drives Striped
> File System: NTFS
> Operating System: Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 (problem existed before the
> upgrade to service pack 2)
> Just updated the the Bios to FJ from FE (problem existed before the upgrade)
>
> Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Out of curiosity, have you tried temporarily disabling UDMA transfers on
that HD's controller? I had similar problems when I tried using UDMA on
a HD that was originally formatted and used extensively without UDMA
being activated. My choices to fix the problem were to either disable
UDMA, or reformat. (I eventually reformatted)

Ryan