Pirate Pay: The Start-up Looking to Eliminate Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
As long as they only target specific files that they have first downloaded to verify that it is an infringing file, good for them.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]of the way[/nom]As long as they only target specific files that they have first downloaded to verify that it is an infringing file, good for them.[/citation]
yeah, I would not like to spend 50000 just for them to be rickrolled... :p

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
This isn't anything new. The MPAA and RIAA tried this years ago and failed to make a dent, so they gave up.

The way it works is simple. These guys connect to a swarm and start sending out garbage data. Your client then uses its limited resources to receive this garbage data, which gets discarded. If all of your connections are to these clients, your download never progresses.

In theory it's a nice idea, but the problem is that you can't possibly occupy every connection in the swarm. You can't control who connects to who, so the data is still going to get shared. In small swarms, this could effectively stop the downloads, but larger ones will just get a lower average download rate.

These people boast about stopping 50k downloads, but all they did was stop the downloaders temporarily. There is absolutely nothing that prevented them from getting a different torrent, or just trying again later.

What's more, it's not very hard to solve this problem in the clients. If clients share information about who is sending garbage data, then they won't get to serve said garbage data to anyone and the entire Pirate Pay system stops functioning entirely. They could try to exploit this by sending bogus notifications about valid clients, but just a little logic in the clients to require a majority swarm consensus or simply testing the clients themselves to be sure would stop that dead.

The strategy is totally untenable, and I'd think Microsoft would have the good sense not to invest in dead ends like this.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
How to eliminate pirates ? Ask for decent prices on software materials ... but as greed is bigger than common sense ... We all love to see "old farts" having hundreds of milion/bilion dolars in their pockets! and calling the normal/poor ppl thieves!

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Good thing these guys are around... without them no way Hollywood would make it

Look at avengers, i hope it makes its budget back, it will probably be really close

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Good thing these guys are around... without them no way Hollywood would make it Look at avengers, i hope it makes its budget back, it will probably be really close[/citation]
I see what you did thar.

Personally, I use a private torrent site. Invite only, so very little worries about this practice.

skiim

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
[citation][nom]esgdfghf[/nom]These guys connect to a swarm and start sending out garbage data. Your client then uses its limited resources to receive this garbage data, which gets discarded. If all of your connections are to these clients, your download never progresses.[/citation]

The "normal/poor ppl" who pirate stuff because the prices are too high ARE thieves. Just because you can't afford to buy a $60 pc game or go to a $20 movie doesn't make it okay to pirate. It makes it okay not purchase. I don't have an issue with people pirating, but to blame it on greed from the artists making it is a joke.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]That is but a drop in the sea that is BitTorrent. I'll hold off being impressed until they achieve something significant.[/citation]
i never studied this anywhere else but from what I can tell from the story is that number was just for 1 file, I suppose as a 'tester' - if they can stop 50K downloads on all files, that would be pretty amazing

I am just a little bit skeptical at how difficult/easy it would be to circumvent their system, especially if more people move to usenet, I find less fake files and more solid transfer rates and its pretty anonymous.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
We used a number of servers to make a connection to each and every P2P client that distributed this film. Then Pirate Pay sent specific traffic to confuse these clients about the real IP-addresses of other clients and to make them disconnect from each other,”
Causing disconnection on other computers. Hacking is legal now? lol

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
So, in essence, a copyright owner needs to pay for "protection" provided by a big Russian guy in a thick leather vest... :) LOL

G

"Causing disconnection on other computers. Hacking is legal now? lol"

Anything is legal if Hollywood says it's to fight piracy.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Skiim[/nom]The "normal/poor ppl" who pirate stuff because the prices are too high ARE thieves. Just because you can't afford to buy a $60 pc game or go to a $20 movie doesn't make it okay to pirate. It makes it okay not purchase. I don't have an issue with people pirating, but to blame it on greed from the artists making it is a joke.[/citation]

I'm not sure how pirating is thievery. There's the obvious argument where we say it's not stealing because we're just receiving a copy of it, but in terms of receiving something you have not paid for, it's not stealing unless a price is demanded. Thus...

Assumed innocence. By this I mean that I assume that the original uploader of the file obtained the correct licensing and whatnot for the file, and chooses to sell it to me and everyone else for $0.

Thus, by simply downloading the file, I have not to my knowledge committed wrong, and the responsibility for copyright infringement falls on the uploader.

Furthermore, the same assumption allows for peer sharing, where those of us seeding a file that we downloaded on the assumption that the original host has the correct licensing can't be held accountable for helping the original uploader distribute their file for 0$. (no different legally than helping any friend do some job out of the niceness of your heart)

It comes down to one of those, "I didn't know it was illegal!" kind of things, wherein you find out when you get pulled over on the highway that the speed limit was 40mph, without having seen a posted speed limit sign to tell you it changed from 65mph.

You don't have a legal obligation to check if the service you are provided comes from a legal foundation.

That all being said, as long as the company has proof that the file infringes a copyright, this technique is fair game, though they should be forced to inform all of the clients as to why they're interrupting/stopping the download.

G

Greenrider02, I am not an attorney but I think there's something to what you say. I believe currently they do usually go after people for uploading, not downloading...

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
[citation][nom]JohnnyJohnsonAgain[/nom]Greenrider02, I am not an attorney but I think there's something to what you say. I believe currently they do usually go after people for uploading, not downloading...[/citation]

They do, but they go after any and all seeders, assuming guilt before innocence, not just the person who originally uploaded it.

The reason for this is that the most prolific original uploaders have prepared themselves way better against traffic snooping and IP identification with their own proxies and such. Or, they live in another country.

I'm not a lawyer either, but maybe I'll ask one and post what they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.