Gigabyte Support

Hi,

What is the general experience with Gigabyte's Support answering questions
posted on their web site.
I posted a question 3 weeks ago about the high VCore voltage on my 7N400 PRO2
(Rev2) Motherboard, but the mail hasn't been checked after 3 weeks. Is there
support this slow?
I am getting concerened with the VCORE Voltage shown in EasyTune, MBM5 and
Sandra, all show a VCore Voltage of 1.9V, where the AMD specs indicate a
nominal voltage of 1.65V, for the AMD 3200+ XP processor.

Regards,
Horst

"hbsimon" <hsimon@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What is the general experience with Gigabyte's Support answering questions
> posted on their web site.
> I posted a question 3 weeks ago about the high VCore voltage on my 7N400
> PRO2
> (Rev2) Motherboard, but the mail hasn't been checked after 3 weeks. Is
> there
> support this slow?
> I am getting concerened with the VCORE Voltage shown in EasyTune, MBM5 and
> Sandra, all show a VCore Voltage of 1.9V, where the AMD specs indicate a
> nominal voltage of 1.65V, for the AMD 3200+ XP processor.
>
> Regards,
> Horst

Mine also reads high, about 1.75V.
But, since there are no temperature problems and no speed problems it
doesn't
bother me.
That is a nominal voltage, I assume that is where AMD sets their tester.
There is also some doubt about accuracy the measurement.
I run a 3000XP ( spec is 2100MHz) at 2400Mhz and get a system temp of 34° C
and the CPU runs 54° C in room temp is 22° C.

Gigabyte does not often respond to individual Emails. If the question comes
up a lot it gets covered in the FAQ sections.

Hope you like the board,

Jim

On 22 Nov 2004 19:06:54 -0800, hsimon@optusnet.com.au (hbsimon) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What is the general experience with Gigabyte's Support answering questions
>posted on their web site.
>I posted a question 3 weeks ago about the high VCore voltage on my 7N400 PRO2
>(Rev2) Motherboard, but the mail hasn't been checked after 3 weeks. Is there
>support this slow?
>I am getting concerened with the VCORE Voltage shown in EasyTune, MBM5 and
>Sandra, all show a VCore Voltage of 1.9V, where the AMD specs indicate a
>nominal voltage of 1.65V, for the AMD 3200+ XP processor.
>
>Regards,
>Horst

Check to see if you have any Turbo or Enhance settings, as that Pumped up my
Memory voltage to out side spec, but not the same MoBo..

I find ther support good , less than a week in most of my cases

"hbsimon" <hsimon@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> What is the general experience with Gigabyte's Support answering questions
> posted on their web site.
> I posted a question 3 weeks ago about the high VCore voltage on my 7N400
> PRO2 (Rev2) Motherboard, but the mail hasn't been checked after 3 weeks.
> Is there support this slow?

Their support website is just a fake. They are plain not answering any
questions...especially not if the questions smell like the board could be
defect.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

hbsimon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the general experience with Gigabyte's Support answering questions
> posted on their web site.
> I posted a question 3 weeks ago about the high VCore voltage on my 7N400 PRO2
> (Rev2) Motherboard, but the mail hasn't been checked after 3 weeks. Is there
> support this slow?
> I am getting concerened with the VCORE Voltage shown in EasyTune, MBM5 and
> Sandra, all show a VCore Voltage of 1.9V, where the AMD specs indicate a
> nominal voltage of 1.65V, for the AMD 3200+ XP processor.
>
> Regards,
> Horst

re: Gigabyte Support

Gigabyte has answered every question I have ever emailed to them. I use two rules:

1. Make sure the question is not answered in the manual or on their web site (I also check the groups).

2. Positive Attitude! You're PO'd and frustrated sure, but so is the person answering the emails, especially if it IS a board problem. He/She is getting battered and abused & most likely had nothing to do with the cause of the problem. A couple of kind words at the beginning of the email works wonders. I Know, been there!

Rick wrote:

> hbsimon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the general experience with Gigabyte's Support answering
>> questions
>> posted on their web site.
>> I posted a question 3 weeks ago about the high VCore voltage on my
>> 7N400 PRO2
>> (Rev2) Motherboard, but the mail hasn't been checked after 3 weeks. Is
>> there
>> support this slow? I am getting concerened with the VCORE Voltage
>> shown in EasyTune, MBM5 and
>> Sandra, all show a VCore Voltage of 1.9V, where the AMD specs indicate a
>> nominal voltage of 1.65V, for the AMD 3200+ XP processor.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Horst
>

> re: Gigabyte Support
>
> Gigabyte has answered every question I have ever emailed to them. I
> use two rules:
>
> 1. Make sure the question is not answered in the manual or on their web
> site (I also check the groups).
>
> 2. Positive Attitude! You're PO'd and frustrated sure, but so is the
> person answering the emails, especially if it IS a board problem. He/She
> is getting battered and abused & most likely had nothing to do with the
> cause of the problem. A couple of kind words at the beginning of the
> email works wonders. I Know, been there!

That's true, I've also mailed my problem to them and I got an reply 3 or
4 days afterwards.. (thou the answer in the reply is not really helpful
as mine are MOBO's defects.. but their attitude was a helpful one.)

"John V.N" <johnvn@alphabetagamma.com> wrote in message news:<co2hku$orv3@imsp212.netvigator.com>...
> Rick wrote:
> >

> > hbsimon wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> What is the general experience with Gigabyte's Support answering
> >> questions
> >> posted on their web site.
> >> I posted a question 3 weeks ago about the high VCore voltage on my
> >> 7N400 PRO2
> >> (Rev2) Motherboard, but the mail hasn't been checked after 3 weeks. Is
> >> there
> >> support this slow? I am getting concerened with the VCORE Voltage
> >> shown in EasyTune, MBM5 and
> >> Sandra, all show a VCore Voltage of 1.9V, where the AMD specs indicate a
> >> nominal voltage of 1.65V, for the AMD 3200+ XP processor.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Horst
> >

> > re: Gigabyte Support
> >
> > Gigabyte has answered every question I have ever emailed to them. I
> > use two rules:
> >
> > 1. Make sure the question is not answered in the manual or on their web
> > site (I also check the groups).
> >
> > 2. Positive Attitude! You're PO'd and frustrated sure, but so is the
> > person answering the emails, especially if it IS a board problem. He/She
> > is getting battered and abused & most likely had nothing to do with the
> > cause of the problem. A couple of kind words at the beginning of the
> > email works wonders. I Know, been there!
> >

> That's true, I've also mailed my problem to them and I got an reply 3 or
> 4 days afterwards.. (thou the answer in the reply is not really helpful
> as mine are MOBO's defects.. but their attitude was a helpful one.)

According to the status on the e-mail, they haven't opened it. I could
find no reference on their webpage or FAQ to high VCore voltage, even in
the newsgroup there is no mention for this board. The worry is that if it is
1.9V will it shorten the lifespan of the CPU. The temperature is around 60-62
Centigrade, on a cool day, I will see what the temperature will be in the
next few days, which will be very hot days around 38 Centigrade.

> "John V.N" <johnvn@alphabetagamma.com> wrote in message
>> Rick wrote:

>>> re: Gigabyte Support
>>>
>>> Gigabyte has answered every question I have ever emailed to them. I
>>> use two rules:
>>>
>>> 1. Make sure the question is not answered in the manual or on their web
>>> site (I also check the groups).
>>>
>>> 2. Positive Attitude! You're PO'd and frustrated sure, but so is the
>>> person answering the emails, especially if it IS a board problem. He/She
>>> is getting battered and abused & most likely had nothing to do with the
>>> cause of the problem. A couple of kind words at the beginning of the
>>> email works wonders. I Know, been there!
>>>

>> That's true, I've also mailed my problem to them and I got an reply 3 or
>> 4 days afterwards.. (thou the answer in the reply is not really helpful
>> as mine are MOBO's defects.. but their attitude was a helpful one.)
>
> According to the status on the e-mail, they haven't opened it. I could
> find no reference on their webpage or FAQ to high VCore voltage, even in
> the newsgroup there is no mention for this board. The worry is that if it
> is
> 1.9V will it shorten the lifespan of the CPU. The temperature is around
> 60-62
> Centigrade, on a cool day, I will see what the temperature will be in the
> next few days, which will be very hot days around 38 Centigrade.

Don't be fooled - their support website is a "smart" bluff since they may
answer comfortable questions(only). No email contacts are given either but u
can phone Taiwan...if u like.
Your temperature is reasonable since it is most likely taken from the cpu
diode. Usually, this particular temp is about 10 degree celsius higher than
reported by the external sensor.

Tim

Hi,

You should remove your email address and use a munged one otherwise you will
get spammed.
Supposed to be 39c in Sydney today...

On the topic, I never expect anything from the mobo manufacturers support -
I view it as an appeasement for the consumer as you do not buy the product
off them directly and it would raise the cost of support at their end
enormously to support the required human languages. I look to the manual,
experience, the news groups and my local supplier...

- Tim

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:codvpm$rdk$1@lust.ihug.co.nz
> Hi,
>
> You should remove your email address and use a munged one otherwise you
> will get spammed.
> Supposed to be 39c in Sydney today...
>
> On the topic, I never expect anything from the mobo manufacturers support
> - I view it as an appeasement for the consumer as you do not buy the
> product off them directly and it would raise the cost of support at their
> end enormously to support the required human languages. I look to the
> manual, experience, the news groups and my local supplier...

Required languages? - English as foreign lingo is enough for most countries.
It's a matter of accepting responsibility for a product - when u look at
the:

1) Manual? - is mostly useless except for jumper settings/connectors..
2) experience? - won't help much if u are new to a specific mobo or product.
3) NG? - can help sometimes but since there are so many models on the market
u must be lucky to meet the right guy if your question is not of general
nature.
4) local supplier? - not many around who know their business let alone
hardware without manufacturer support.

At least every manufacturer should provide a forum with knowledgeable people
answering product specific questions. Gigabyte is plain "stealing" away from
their public responsibility

Tim

The unfortunate truth about email support is that it has been shot down by
spammers & drips. The fact that a Taiwanese company can provide any English
support at all is remarkable. You will find if you have a legitimate problem
that is well defined by you and you have exhausted usual support options
they will be prompt and helpful - usually.

Personally, I have found GB bring out too many products that are too similar
and drop support for older products that are still current for consumers (EG
the 8KNXP family of mobos) - and then fail to provide adequate updates for
bios (EG ITE firmware upgrades), drivers, etc. If you buy GB, that is what
you need to be prepared for & that is why they are cheaper than some
others - often first to market, first to revise a design, first to drop a
product when compared to more expensive options. This is where experience
comes in - know what you are buying. Other manufacturers are lower cost &
produce down right crud all the time. At least the GB stuff goes.

This news group is good - if you seek help you will get it.
The manual is as complete as it needs to be.
Experience? It is a learning curve - there is always more to learn. If you
decide to do this yourself you are implicility accepting responsibility for
this side of the support curve.
Supplier? As above - down to experience. I only buy stuff off *suppliers*
that I am satisfied can provide warrantee and technical support correctly.
EG disc drives fail. If one fails under warrantee then I require to be able
to get a replacement promptly.

If you suffer a problem with a product and the supplier can't help, then
then I suggest you take the product back and ask for a refund. In AU there
is legislation that protects the consumer from suppliers / products that
don't work. Use it.

It is wise for a small business / user to expect nothing of the mobo
manufacturer support systems. Why? I'll let you figure that one out.

- Tim

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:coe449$vof$1@lust.ihug.co.nz

> It is wise for a small business / user to expect nothing of the mobo
> manufacturer support systems. Why? I'll let you figure that one out.
>
> - Tim

I know, I know!..coz there is nothing to expect from GB - got that!

;-)

Joe

My question was answered in a couple of days. (as part of a reply to two
people)

Joe