How good is on-board sound?

G'day all,
I'm planning on getting a new computer soon, and will move a few
components over to the new system. Among them is a Sound Blaster Live.

How does the SB Live compare with the on-board audio in new motherboards?
For example the Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro2, or the newer socket 939 boards.

Thanks.

--

Vu.

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Vu wrote:

> How does the SB Live compare with the on-board audio in new motherboards?
> For example the Gigabyte 8IPE1000 Pro2, or the newer socket 939 boards.

Well I don't tkink you'll see much difference between the SB Live and
AC97' ALC 658 that is used in almost any Gigabyte board based on Intel
865 and 875 and nVidia nForce 3 chipsets.
The newer nForce 4 boards have the new Via on-board cards that are superb.

"SteveK" <nospam@iPrimus.com.au> wrote in message
> "William Bell" <wbell@tinkle.com> wrote in message
>
> onboard sound is always a bad idea since it use the cpu to process the
> sound - a card has its own processor.

Oh and don't believe the hype regards the onboard sound capabilities of
Intel's latest chipsets. There were claims their sound capabilities to be
more powerful than pretty much anything else on the market. It's utter
nonsense, who ever thought that one up has never heard NVidia's Soundforce
or Creative's Audigy series in action...

Crimson Liar

---

Thanks to all for the responses.

My next motherboard should hopefully be a Gigabyte 939 board.
Looks like I'll be keeping the SB Live for a while...

--

Vu.

Vu wrote:
> Thanks to all for the responses.
>
> My next motherboard should hopefully be a Gigabyte 939 board.
> Looks like I'll be keeping the SB Live for a while...

I'ver had on-board sound on the last couple of motherboards I've owned and
the sound is perfectly OK.

If I want hi-fi sound I'll play my hi-fi...

--

Brett