Sound Problems on Intel D865GBF

December 12, 2004 3:33:42 AM

I am using the standard SoundMAX 4 XL with AudioESP audio subsystem using
the Analog Devices AD1985 codec that came equipped with this mobo.

After having done this, I achieve little sound. I am using my old HP Polk
speakers for sound. When I turn up the volume all the way, I can barely hear
the sound.

Anyone know what I should do next?
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 4:20:36 PM

Jared MacDougall wrote:
> *I am using the standard SoundMAX 4 XL with AudioESP audio subsystem
> using
> the Analog Devices AD1985 codec that came equipped with this mobo.
>
> After having done this, I achieve little sound. I am using my old HP
> Polk
> speakers for sound. When I turn up the volume all the way, I can
> barely hear
> the sound.
>
> Anyone know what I should do next? *

Ironically, I've just installed XP on this board and have precisely the
same problem. I see you are using two old speakers. Are they amplified?
Mine are not. They worked well with my sound card in another machine,
but with this board and its on board card they produce very little
sound. I think you and I are probably dealing with an amplification
issue. I am about to plug in a few amped speakers and will report what
I find.

I am also downloading the latest drivers from Intel, though after
reading your post I do not think this will help much.
-Newb

--
Newbius
December 16, 2004 4:47:07 PM

Yeah. This is an amplication issue indeed. The Intel docs for this board
state clearly that the line out port supports ONLY amplified speakers.

SEE BELOW:

"Note
The back panel audio line out connector is designed to power headphones
or amplified speakers only. Poor audio quality occurs if passive
(non-amplified) speakers are connected to this output."
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/bf_con.htm#8

--
Newbius