Sound Problems on Intel D865GBF

I am using the standard SoundMAX 4 XL with AudioESP audio subsystem using
the Analog Devices AD1985 codec that came equipped with this mobo.

After having done this, I achieve little sound. I am using my old HP Polk
speakers for sound. When I turn up the volume all the way, I can barely hear
the sound.

Anyone know what I should do next?
2 answers Last reply
More about sound problems intel d865gbf

    Jared MacDougall wrote:
    > *I am using the standard SoundMAX 4 XL with AudioESP audio subsystem
    > using
    > the Analog Devices AD1985 codec that came equipped with this mobo.
    >
    > After having done this, I achieve little sound. I am using my old HP
    > Polk
    > speakers for sound. When I turn up the volume all the way, I can
    > barely hear
    > the sound.
    >
    > Anyone know what I should do next? *

    Ironically, I've just installed XP on this board and have precisely the
    same problem. I see you are using two old speakers. Are they amplified?
    Mine are not. They worked well with my sound card in another machine,
    but with this board and its on board card they produce very little
    sound. I think you and I are probably dealing with an amplification
    issue. I am about to plug in a few amped speakers and will report what
    I find.

    I am also downloading the latest drivers from Intel, though after
    reading your post I do not think this will help much.
    -Newb

    --
    Newbius

    Yeah. This is an amplication issue indeed. The Intel docs for this board
    state clearly that the line out port supports ONLY amplified speakers.

    SEE BELOW:

    "Note
    The back panel audio line out connector is designed to power headphones
    or amplified speakers only. Poor audio quality occurs if passive
    (non-amplified) speakers are connected to this output."
    http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/bf_con.htm#8

    --
    Newbius

Windows XP