Need help to secure my laptop over wireless network

I have a Toshiba Satellite A75 laptop and DSL service provided by Verizon.

When I right click on the wireless network icon, I can see four wireless
networks available and my laptop connected to one of them. Two networks out
of four are secured and two (including mine) are not secured.

How can I make my wireless connection secured and make sure my laptop
connects to it all the time?

Thanks.

"Premal" <Premal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Toshiba Satellite A75 laptop and DSL service provided by Verizon.
>
> When I right click on the wireless network icon, I can see four wireless
> networks available and my laptop connected to one of them. Two networks
> out
> of four are secured and two (including mine) are not secured.
>
> How can I make my wireless connection secured and make sure my laptop
> connects to it all the time?
>
> Thanks.

There's good info on doing this here:

Also, check out Barb Bowman's article on Wireless Security here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx

Thanks. I will try.

Premal

"DJ Borell" wrote:

> "Premal" <Premal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Toshiba Satellite A75 laptop and DSL service provided by Verizon.
> >
> > When I right click on the wireless network icon, I can see four wireless
> > networks available and my laptop connected to one of them. Two networks
> > out
> > of four are secured and two (including mine) are not secured.
> >
> > How can I make my wireless connection secured and make sure my laptop
> > connects to it all the time?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> There's good info on doing this here:
>
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> Also, check out Barb Bowman's article on Wireless Security here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx

I followed the instruction from an article -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx

I still have following questions.

1. Should I see the name of network I set up in the "List of Network
available" when I right click on wireless network icon?
2. I have three "Network" icons on my task bar; one for wired DSL connection
and other tow for wireless connection. IS this OK?
3. I still get connected via network that shows "Unsecured".

Please help.

Thank you.

Premal

> 1. Should I see the name of network I set up in the "List of Network
> available" when I right click on wireless network icon?

Generally, yes, unless you've disabled the Broadcast ID

> 2. I have three "Network" icons on my task bar; one for wired DSL
> connection
> and other tow for wireless connection. IS this OK?

This is odd. Under "Network Connections" in control panel, how many network
devices do you have listed and how many say "Wireless"?

> 3. I still get connected via network that shows "Unsecured".

What method are you using to connect? Specifically, are you using Windows
Wireless Zero Config or software included with your wireless adapter?

Thanks again.

I will try to answer your questions.

> 1. Should I see the name of network I set up in the "List of Network
> available" when I right click on wireless network icon?

>>Generally, yes, unless you've disabled the Broadcast ID
>>>I may have but then I do not know when and how - unfortunately.

> 2. I have three "Network" icons on my task bar; one for wired DSL
> connection and other tow for wireless connection. IS this OK?

>>This is odd. Under "Network Connections" in control panel, how many network
devices do you have listed and how many say "Wireless"?
>>There is one under "Broadbend connection" and one uner "DSL" xconnection. There were only one wireless before. Second one appeared after I followed the instruction on the articel I emntioned earlier.
> 3. I still get connected via network that shows "Unsecured".
>>What method are you using to connect? Specifically, are you using Windows
Wireless Zero Config or software included with your wireless adapter?
>>>Verizon tech. did help me to set up my wireless network using the software they provided with my DSL service. So I guess I am using Verizon software to connect to the wireless network.

I hope I make some sense. Thanks for your help.

Premal

"DJ Borell" wrote:

> "Premal" <Premal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > 1. Should I see the name of network I set up in the "List of Network
> > available" when I right click on wireless network icon?
>
> Generally, yes, unless you've disabled the Broadcast ID
>
> > 2. I have three "Network" icons on my task bar; one for wired DSL
> > connection
> > and other tow for wireless connection. IS this OK?
>
> This is odd. Under "Network Connections" in control panel, how many network
> devices do you have listed and how many say "Wireless"?
>
> > 3. I still get connected via network that shows "Unsecured".
>
> What method are you using to connect? Specifically, are you using Windows
> Wireless Zero Config or software included with your wireless adapter?

"Premal" <Premal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Disabling the Broadcast ID is something done at the Wireless Router. If the
Broadcast is disabled, you will not see the network in your list of
available networks. This should not, however, keep you from connecting to
provided you have set it up properly. If you want to re-enable the
Broadcast ID, you'll need to do so at your wireless router (the manual
should have instructions for doing so.)

What method are you using to configure your Wireless Network connections?

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Verizon tech. did help me to set up my wireless network using the software
they provided with my DSL service. Also, I followed direction spelled out in
the following articles.

1."http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx#bio1

2.http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx

Although, at the end of the process I did not come to the widow where it
asks to "finish".

Premal

> Thank you for your prompt reply.
>
> Verizon tech. did help me to set up my wireless network using the software
> they provided with my DSL service. Also, I followed direction spelled out
> in
> the following articles.
>
> 1."http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx#bio1
>
> 2.http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx
>
> Although, at the end of the process I did not come to the widow where it
> asks to "finish".
>
> Premal

As long as it works; that's all that matters.