Fingerprint Reader only recognised in an Admin account??

December 13, 2004 2:29:08 AM

Win XP SP2, DigitaPersona 1.0.1.624 installed. Welcome screen and Fast User
Switching both turned on.

Have the new keyboard with the fingerprint reader but can only get it to work if
an account has admin rights. If not then all I get is

Error Invalid Class String
Suspect Installation Problem.

I've reinstalled twice now and still get the same. If I give an account admin
rights then it works fine, but as soon as I make the same account a limited
account I get the error above. Switch it back to having admin rights and it
works fine?

None of the accounts are domain accounts.

Any thoughts anyone

--
Regards
Ken.......................

---
December 13, 2004 2:29:09 AM

DigitaPersona is neither a part of MS Windows XP, nor a Microsoft product.

To troublehsoot problems with DigitaPersona, feel free to speak with
DigitaPersona technical support.

--
steve

nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
remove _thenut_ to reach me

"Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:o A3ckJK4EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Win XP SP2, DigitaPersona 1.0.1.624 installed. Welcome screen and Fast
User
> Switching both turned on.
>
> Have the new keyboard with the fingerprint reader but can only get it to
work if
> an account has admin rights. If not then all I get is
>
> Error Invalid Class String
> Suspect Installation Problem.
>
> I've reinstalled twice now and still get the same. If I give an account
admin
> rights then it works fine, but as soon as I make the same account a
limited
> account I get the error above. Switch it back to having admin rights and
it
> works fine?
>
> None of the accounts are domain accounts.
>
> Any thoughts anyone
>
> --
> Regards
> Ken.......................
>

> ---

December 14, 2004 1:06:58 AM

But it's endorsed by Microsoft and bundled with their hardware, therefore the
question is perfectly valid in this group and still stands in the hope that
someone else has come across this issue and can help me out.

--
Regards
Ken.......................

"joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> DigitaPersona is neither a part of MS Windows XP, nor a Microsoft product.
>
> To troublehsoot problems with DigitaPersona, feel free to speak with
> DigitaPersona technical support.
>
> --
> steve
>
> nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
> remove _thenut_ to reach me
>

> "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o A3ckJK4EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Win XP SP2, DigitaPersona 1.0.1.624 installed. Welcome screen and Fast
> User
>> Switching both turned on.
>>
>> Have the new keyboard with the fingerprint reader but can only get it to
> work if
>> an account has admin rights. If not then all I get is
>>
>> Error Invalid Class String
>> Suspect Installation Problem.
>>
>> I've reinstalled twice now and still get the same. If I give an account
> admin
>> rights then it works fine, but as soon as I make the same account a
> limited
>> account I get the error above. Switch it back to having admin rights and
> it
>> works fine?
>>
>> None of the accounts are domain accounts.
>>
>> Any thoughts anyone
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Ken.......................
>>

>> ---

---
December 14, 2004 9:04:53 AM

Ken Wright wrote >" But it's endorsed by Microsoft "

The fact that children's literacy programs are endorsed by Microsoft does
not make a Windows XP newsgroup an appropriate place to discuss children's
literacy.

--

> But it's endorsed by Microsoft and bundled with their hardware, therefore
the
> question is perfectly valid in this group and still stands in the hope
that
> someone else has come across this issue and can help me out.
>
> --
> Regards
> Ken.......................
>

> "joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > DigitaPersona is neither a part of MS Windows XP, nor a Microsoft
product.

> > To troublehsoot problems with DigitaPersona, feel free to speak with
> > DigitaPersona technical support.
> >
> > --
> > steve
> >
> > nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
> > remove _thenut_ to reach me
> >

> > "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > news:o A3ckJK4EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Win XP SP2, DigitaPersona 1.0.1.624 installed. Welcome screen and Fast
> > User
> >> Switching both turned on.
> >>
> >> Have the new keyboard with the fingerprint reader but can only get it
> > work if
> >> an account has admin rights. If not then all I get is
> >>
> >> Error Invalid Class String
> >> Suspect Installation Problem.
> >>
> >> I've reinstalled twice now and still get the same. If I give an account
> > admin
> >> rights then it works fine, but as soon as I make the same account a
> > limited
> >> account I get the error above. Switch it back to having admin rights
and
> > it
> >> works fine?
> >>
> >> None of the accounts are domain accounts.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts anyone
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >> Ken.......................
> >>

> >> ---
> >>

> ---

December 15, 2004 12:26:08 AM

First off, ignore 'joust in jest' because he is clearly as ignorant as
he is rude. It was immediately clear to me what you were asking and
how it was a valid question, being that anyone who is familiar with the
new fingerprint keyboards would have instantly known that you were
describing a Microsoft product. (And anyone NOT familar with them
should have perhaps remained quiet, rather than putting their foot in
their mouth.)

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I did a test with a
"limited" account under XP SP2, and everything worked just fine. My
DigitalPersona Password Manager reports as version 1.0.0.579.
When I installed the software, I installed from an admin account.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 12:41:04 AM

Sorry, but exactly what point are you trying to make? I have a piece of
Microsoft hardware that will only run on Windows XP that I have asked a question
about. Now in case it has escaped your powers of observation, and that is
obviously very possible, which part of the newsgroup title of windowsxp.hardware
do you not associate with that piece of kit.

If you have nothing useful to offer, and once again it is painfully obvious that
you don't, then is there really any need for your presence in here?

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

> Ken Wright wrote >" But it's endorsed by Microsoft "
>
> The fact that children's literacy programs are endorsed by Microsoft does
> not make a Windows XP newsgroup an appropriate place to discuss children's
> literacy.
>
> --
> steve
>
> nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
> remove _thenut_ to reach me
>

> "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> But it's endorsed by Microsoft and bundled with their hardware, therefore
> the
>> question is perfectly valid in this group and still stands in the hope
> that
>> someone else has come across this issue and can help me out.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Ken.......................
>>

>> "joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > DigitaPersona is neither a part of MS Windows XP, nor a Microsoft
> product.
>> >
>> > To troublehsoot problems with DigitaPersona, feel free to speak with
>> > DigitaPersona technical support.
>> >
>> > --
>> > steve
>> >
>> > nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
>> > remove _thenut_ to reach me
>> >

>> > "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> > news:o A3ckJK4EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > User

>> > work if

>> > admin
>> > limited
> and
>> > it

>> ---

---
December 15, 2004 12:41:05 AM

Your original post made no mention of a problem with Microsoft hardware.
There is, of course, a MS newsgroup devoted to problems with Microsoft
hardware ...

microsoft.public.mshardware.product

--

> Sorry, but exactly what point are you trying to make? I have a piece of
> Microsoft hardware that will only run on Windows XP that I have asked a
question
> about. Now in case it has escaped your powers of observation, and that is
> obviously very possible, which part of the newsgroup title of
windowsxp.hardware
> do you not associate with that piece of kit.
>
> If you have nothing useful to offer, and once again it is painfully
obvious that
> you don't, then is there really any need for your presence in here?
>
> --
> Regards
> Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
>

> "joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Ken Wright wrote >" But it's endorsed by Microsoft "
> >
> > The fact that children's literacy programs are endorsed by Microsoft
does
> > not make a Windows XP newsgroup an appropriate place to discuss
children's
> > literacy.
> >
> > --
> > steve
> >
> > nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
> > remove _thenut_ to reach me
> >

> > "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >> But it's endorsed by Microsoft and bundled with their hardware,
therefore
> > the
> >> question is perfectly valid in this group and still stands in the hope
> > that
> >> someone else has come across this issue and can help me out.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >> Ken.......................
> >>

> >> "joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > product.

Fast

> > and

> >> ---
> >>

> ---

December 15, 2004 2:39:12 AM

Clearly I am ignorant, becuase I didn't instantly know if it was a Microsoft
fingerprint keyboard, or a fingerprint keyboard manufacured by:

Key Tronic
BenQ
ZVETCO biometrics
Guardware
DigitalPersona U.are.U
Philips Remote Control Systems

--
steve

nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
remove _thenut_ to reach me

<todd.mancini@gmail.com> wrote in message
> First off, ignore 'joust in jest' because he is clearly as ignorant as
> he is rude. It was immediately clear to me what you were asking and
> how it was a valid question, being that anyone who is familiar with the
> new fingerprint keyboards would have instantly known that you were
> describing a Microsoft product. (And anyone NOT familar with them
> should have perhaps remained quiet, rather than putting their foot in
> their mouth.)
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I did a test with a
> "limited" account under XP SP2, and everything worked just fine. My
> DigitalPersona Password Manager reports as version 1.0.0.579.
> When I installed the software, I installed from an admin account.

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 12:26:49 AM

grrrrrrr - Now why doesn't mine do that??????? Damn thing!!!

Anyway, many thanks for at least confirming that it should do what I thought it
should. :-)