Dell laptop inspiron 8200

I have a Dell inspiron 8200 1.8 GHz 128 MB Sdram , 40 gig H.D , NVidia
GeForce2 Go with 64MB. I turn on the computer this morning to find out , it
couldn't boot to windows, it saids there is not HD on this laptop. Here the
message =*** Stop:0x0000000f4 (0x00000003,0x82170B00,0x805FA7A8". i can also
hear a sound like a clock "click, click, click, click, coming from the HD
everytime i boot the computer . This laptop is only 2 years old and i think
not sure but the HD is gone south but any help will be appreciated.

P.s Also if i need a new HD, where can i find one for this laptop ? thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about dell laptop inspiron 8200

    Make sure that the battery is fully charged, it is possible
    that your battery is low and can't spin up the hard drive,
    but can power the BIOS and the display. Two years is
    pretty quick for a hard drive to die (even in a laptop) but
    batteries fail.

    Dell is your best source if you bought the warranty. Two
    and three years is a common Dell period.

    "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | Usually when you hear that clicking noise, it means the
    drive has died.
    | There are a few tricks you can try to do, to recover data
    from it, but first
    | you need to get a new HDD and also a 2.5" USB or Firewire
    cradle. As for
    | the hard drive, you can pretty much use any 2.5" laptop
    hard drive. You can
    | also check with Dell to see if they have any specials. As
    for the current
    | drive, if you use a cradle to try to recover the data,
    seal it in a ZIPLoc
    | bag, take as much air out as you can, then put it in the
    freezer for a
    | while. Then put it in a cradle and connect it up to a
    working computer.

    Alvarez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | >I have a Dell inspiron 8200 1.8 GHz 128 MB Sdram , 40
    gig H.D , NVidia
    | > GeForce2 Go with 64MB. I turn on the computer this
    morning to find out ,
    | > it
    | > couldn't boot to windows, it saids there is not HD on
    this laptop. Here
    | > the
    | > message =*** Stop:0x0000000f4
    (0x00000003,0x82170B00,0x805FA7A8". i can
    | > also
    | > hear a sound like a clock "click, click, click, click,
    coming from the HD
    | > everytime i boot the computer . This laptop is only 2
    years old and i
    | > think
    | > not sure but the HD is gone south but any help will be
    appreciated.

    | > P.s Also if i need a new HD, where can i find one for
    this laptop ?
    | > thanks

    Hello ! Thank you guys for all the help, i have the laptop connected to the
    A/C adapter all the time , i rare use it using the batteries and for a laptop
    been used just to read the e-mail and go online to surfe the web. I can't
    believed it , the HD is gone so soon. The data on the HD, i don't care to
    recover it , because i have all the
    software on cd's. I went to check on Dell site and they don't have HD for
    this laptop 40 Gig, but i'm thinking of getting me a 60Gig if i can. I may
    call dell tech supp. see if they can help me too... thanks again.. Jose
    Alvarez

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Make sure that the battery is fully charged, it is possible
    > that your battery is low and can't spin up the hard drive,
    > but can power the BIOS and the display. Two years is
    > pretty quick for a hard drive to die (even in a laptop) but
    > batteries fail.
    >
    > Dell is your best source if you bought the warranty. Two
    > and three years is a common Dell period.

    > "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | Usually when you hear that clicking noise, it means the
    > drive has died.
    > | There are a few tricks you can try to do, to recover data
    > from it, but first
    > | you need to get a new HDD and also a 2.5" USB or Firewire
    > cradle. As for
    > | the hard drive, you can pretty much use any 2.5" laptop
    > hard drive. You can
    > | also check with Dell to see if they have any specials. As
    > for the current
    > | drive, if you use a cradle to try to recover the data,
    > seal it in a ZIPLoc
    > | bag, take as much air out as you can, then put it in the
    > freezer for a
    > | while. Then put it in a cradle and connect it up to a
    > working computer.
    > | You may be able to access it and transfer some or all the
    > data.
    > |
    > | Jeff
    > |
    > | "Jose J Alvarez" <Jose J
    > Alvarez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | >I have a Dell inspiron 8200 1.8 GHz 128 MB Sdram , 40
    > gig H.D , NVidia
    > | > GeForce2 Go with 64MB. I turn on the computer this
    > morning to find out ,
    > | > it
    > | > couldn't boot to windows, it saids there is not HD on
    > this laptop. Here
    > | > the
    > | > message =*** Stop:0x0000000f4
    > (0x00000003,0x82170B00,0x805FA7A8". i can
    > | > also
    > | > hear a sound like a clock "click, click, click, click,
    > coming from the HD
    > | > everytime i boot the computer . This laptop is only 2
    > years old and i
    > | > think
    > | > not sure but the HD is gone south but any help will be
    > appreciated.
    > | >
    > | > P.s Also if i need a new HD, where can i find one for
    > this laptop ?
    > | > thanks

    A 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE Drive Adaptor would be cheaper than a USB or Firewire
    cradle and allow you to connect the drive to a desktop computer
    http://www.cablesdirect.com/power/internal.asp
    "jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Usually when you hear that clicking noise, it means the drive has died.
    > There are a few tricks you can try to do, to recover data from it, but
    > first you need to get a new HDD and also a 2.5" USB or Firewire cradle.
    > As for the hard drive, you can pretty much use any 2.5" laptop hard drive.
    > You can also check with Dell to see if they have any specials. As for the
    > current drive, if you use a cradle to try to recover the data, seal it in
    > a ZIPLoc bag, take as much air out as you can, then put it in the freezer
    > for a while. Then put it in a cradle and connect it up to a working
    > computer. You may be able to access it and transfer some or all the data.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Jose J Alvarez" <Jose J Alvarez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:AE08C6E2-5EE1-438E-BF0A-B3973837A386@microsoft.com...
    >>I have a Dell inspiron 8200 1.8 GHz 128 MB Sdram , 40 gig H.D , NVidia
    >> GeForce2 Go with 64MB. I turn on the computer this morning to find out ,
    >> it
    >> couldn't boot to windows, it saids there is not HD on this laptop. Here
    >> the
    >> message =*** Stop:0x0000000f4 (0x00000003,0x82170B00,0x805FA7A8". i can
    >> also
    >> hear a sound like a clock "click, click, click, click, coming from the HD
    >> everytime i boot the computer . This laptop is only 2 years old and i
    >> think
    >> not sure but the HD is gone south but any help will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> P.s Also if i need a new HD, where can i find one for this laptop ?
    >> thanks

Laptops HD Windows XP