How do I lock a CD ROM drive?

Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.
6 answers Last reply
More about lock drive

    And WHY would you want to do something like that?!?!?!?

    Jake wrote:

    > Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
    > rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

    Because I have many computers where I don't want the CD ROM drive used unless
    it is by me. Is the reason necessary? Do you know of a way or not?

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > And WHY would you want to do something like that?!?!?!?
    >
    > Jake wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
    > > rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

    if it's the case that the computer is left turned on and not being
    ebooted - disable the drive, or uninstall the driver, that should do it, I
    think
    "Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I
    > would
    > rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

    Try using TweakUI to hide the drive.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    > Because I have many computers where I don't want the CD ROM drive used unless
    > it is by me. Is the reason necessary? Do you know of a way or not?
    >

    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >
    >> And WHY would you want to do something like that?!?!?!?
    >>
    >> Jake wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
    >> > rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

    In that case the Device Manager can Disable it and mere "Users" wouldn't
    be able to make it work.

    Jake wrote:

    > Because I have many computers where I don't want the CD ROM drive used unless
    > it is by me. Is the reason necessary? Do you know of a way or not?
    >

    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>And WHY would you want to do something like that?!?!?!?
    >>
    >>Jake wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
    >>>rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

    Hi jake,
    You can disable by right clicking "My computer Icon on your desktop" and
    choosing properties , this will open the system properties dialog box,
    choose device manager. The device manager shows the contents of your
    computer, by highlighting an entry, simply right click and properties. for
    example if you choose DVD -CDROM, then you get a choice of 2 seperate
    devices to choose from, right click each choose properties, in this window
    at the bottom on the tab "use this device (enabled), simply click and
    select disable this device. click ok , exit. reboot all should be fine
    good luck
    Apu
    "Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I
    > would
    > rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

CD-Rom Windows XP