How do I lock a CD ROM drive?

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

And WHY would you want to do something like that?!?!?!?

Jake wrote:

> Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
> rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

Because I have many computers where I don't want the CD ROM drive used unless
it is by me. Is the reason necessary? Do you know of a way or not?

"Bob I" wrote:

> And WHY would you want to do something like that?!?!?!?
>
> Jake wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
> > rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

if it's the case that the computer is left turned on and not being
ebooted - disable the drive, or uninstall the driver, that should do it, I
think
"Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I
> would
> rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

Try using TweakUI to hide the drive.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

> Because I have many computers where I don't want the CD ROM drive used unless
> it is by me. Is the reason necessary? Do you know of a way or not?
>

> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> And WHY would you want to do something like that?!?!?!?
>>
>> Jake wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
>> > rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

In that case the Device Manager can Disable it and mere "Users" wouldn't
be able to make it work.

Jake wrote:

> Because I have many computers where I don't want the CD ROM drive used unless
> it is by me. Is the reason necessary? Do you know of a way or not?
>

> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>And WHY would you want to do something like that?!?!?!?
>>
>>Jake wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a way to lock a CD ROM drive so that it cannot be opened? I would
>>>rather not open up the box and pull the cord from the drive.

Hi jake,
You can disable by right clicking "My computer Icon on your desktop" and
choosing properties , this will open the system properties dialog box,
choose device manager. The device manager shows the contents of your
computer, by highlighting an entry, simply right click and properties. for
example if you choose DVD -CDROM, then you get a choice of 2 seperate
devices to choose from, right click each choose properties, in this window
at the bottom on the tab "use this device (enabled), simply click and
select disable this device. click ok , exit. reboot all should be fine
good luck
Apu