Re-Activation of Windows XP

I am getting ready to Upgrade the Motherboard and Processor of my computer.
My Copy Of windows XP home edition is an upgrade that i purchased a couple
years back. I understand that when you do a major hardware change, you have
to re-activate XP . I plan on Formatting my hard drive that has the copy on
Xp on it now, and starting from scratch. What do i need to do to re-activate
Windows without it thinking that i am trying to get it to work on another
computer? The old motherboard that i'm taking out is really flakey and is
starting to Act up, i am going to replace it with an Intel Pentium 4
motherboard, use the same Hard drive i always used, and same Cd-rom drive
and Floppy. Just don't want to get in trouble and want to make everything
legal and right. Thanks for you help

Mikey
3 answers Last reply
More about activation windows

    Hi

    Well you have 2 ways to re-activate, either online, or just call
    ms customer support desk

    Mikey wrote:

    > I am getting ready to Upgrade the Motherboard and Processor of my computer.
    > My Copy Of windows XP home edition is an upgrade that i purchased a couple
    > years back. I understand that when you do a major hardware change, you have
    > to re-activate XP . I plan on Formatting my hard drive that has the copy on
    > Xp on it now, and starting from scratch. What do i need to do to re-activate
    > Windows without it thinking that i am trying to get it to work on another
    > computer? The old motherboard that i'm taking out is really flakey and is
    > starting to Act up, i am going to replace it with an Intel Pentium 4
    > motherboard, use the same Hard drive i always used, and same Cd-rom drive
    > and Floppy. Just don't want to get in trouble and want to make everything
    > legal and right. Thanks for you help
    >
    > Mikey

    There is no need to format and reinstall everything, unless
    you just want to do more work. You can do a repair install
    using the XP upgrade CD
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341
    If some problem develops you can always do the format/clean
    install.

    If you have install SP2 your upgrade CD might not do a
    repair install, in that case the format might be easiest to
    do.

    "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    | Hi
    |
    | Well you have 2 ways to re-activate, either online, or
    just call
    | ms customer support desk
    |
    | Mikey wrote:
    |
    | > I am getting ready to Upgrade the Motherboard and
    Processor of my computer.
    | > My Copy Of windows XP home edition is an upgrade that i
    purchased a couple
    | > years back. I understand that when you do a major
    hardware change, you have
    | > to re-activate XP . I plan on Formatting my hard drive
    that has the copy on
    | > Xp on it now, and starting from scratch. What do i need
    to do to re-activate
    | > Windows without it thinking that i am trying to get it
    to work on another
    | > computer? The old motherboard that i'm taking out is
    really flakey and is
    | > starting to Act up, i am going to replace it with an
    Intel Pentium 4
    | > motherboard, use the same Hard drive i always used, and
    same Cd-rom drive
    | > and Floppy. Just don't want to get in trouble and want
    to make everything
    | > legal and right. Thanks for you help
    | >
    | > Mikey

    Mickey,

    I did just what you're talking about a couple weeks ago without any problems
    and I have an OEM XP Pro version of Windows. Unless you have to format for
    some other reason, the repair option is much less time consuming.

    Windows won't even boot after you swap the mobo/cpu. You'll have to do, as
    others have suggested, a repair install. When you boot from the XP CD,
    you'll get an option to use the repair console, skip that step and take the
    next repair option. Everything went smoothly except I have XP2 on a separate
    CD.

    You will very likely be told that you have to activate your XP. In my case,
    online activation didn't work and I had to make a phone call. When you
    select telephone activate and you will be presented a number to call. I
    don't think the activation process took 5 minutes. You will have to have the
    activation screen visible because the tech will ask for some numbers and
    then will give you an entirely new and different (type and quantity) key.

    Something's were fouled up in the repair, but nothing significant. One other
    thing though, if you have a newer version of Word/Office it will also
    require re-activation also. I have Word 2002 as part of my Works Suite.

    Another thing to keep in mind, there is a problem with some Prescott core
    processors when using a mobo with an i865 chipset and SP2. Most mobo vendors
    have probably incorporated BIOS upgrades to fix the problem and Microsoft
    has a 'hotfix' for the issue.

    Wayne

    "Mikey" <Mikey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting ready to Upgrade the Motherboard and Processor of my computer.
    > My Copy Of windows XP home edition is an upgrade that i purchased a couple
    > years back. I understand that when you do a major hardware change, you
    > have
    > to re-activate XP . I plan on Formatting my hard drive that has the copy
    > on
    > Xp on it now, and starting from scratch. What do i need to do to
    > re-activate
    > Windows without it thinking that i am trying to get it to work on another
    > computer? The old motherboard that i'm taking out is really flakey and is
    > starting to Act up, i am going to replace it with an Intel Pentium 4
    > motherboard, use the same Hard drive i always used, and same Cd-rom drive
    > and Floppy. Just don't want to get in trouble and want to make everything
    > legal and right. Thanks for you help
    >
    > Mikey

Hardware Motherboards Windows XP