How free scanner that is 'busy'?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners,microsoft.public.development.device.drivers (More info?)

When I try and look at my Epson scanner's Properties , WinXP reports
that the scanner is busy or in use by another application.

How do I locate what is making it busy?

I have tried using the Process Explorer from System Internals
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml.
However when I try Process Explorer's Find Handle or Find DLL it
turns out that it can't find "twain" or "Epson".

Is there a general way to find out exactly what is making any given
device (printer, infrared, etc) be locked by XP as "busy"?

Thanks.

Zarbol

--

Cross-posted to 4 relevant groups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
microsoft.public.development.device.drivers
comp.periphs.scanners

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners,microsoft.public.development.device.drivers (More info?)

A good utility for that would be Process Explorer from Sysinterals.

It has a good find function, if you know what you're looking for, that can
help you out immensely.

Cheers,
Rob

"Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote in message
> When I try and look at my Epson scanner's Properties , WinXP reports
> that the scanner is busy or in use by another application.
>
> How do I locate what is making it busy?
>
> I have tried using the Process Explorer from System Internals
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml.
> However when I try Process Explorer's Find Handle or Find DLL it
> turns out that it can't find "twain" or "Epson".
>
> Is there a general way to find out exactly what is making any given
> device (printer, infrared, etc) be locked by XP as "busy"?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Zarbol
>

> --
>

> Cross-posted to 4 relevant groups:
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
> microsoft.public.development.device.drivers
> comp.periphs.scanners

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.periphs.scanners,microsoft.public.development.device.drivers (More info?)

did you try an uninstall and reinstall if you have the original cd-rom ? I
think that sorted out my problem, which if I remember correctly was much the
same

"Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote in message
> When I try and look at my Epson scanner's Properties , WinXP reports
> that the scanner is busy or in use by another application.
>
> How do I locate what is making it busy?
>
> I have tried using the Process Explorer from System Internals
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml.
> However when I try Process Explorer's Find Handle or Find DLL it
> turns out that it can't find "twain" or "Epson".
>
> Is there a general way to find out exactly what is making any given
> device (printer, infrared, etc) be locked by XP as "busy"?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Zarbol
>

> --
>

> Cross-posted to 4 relevant groups:
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
> microsoft.public.development.device.drivers
> comp.periphs.scanners

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Your scanner is under control by the WIA service. It hides under one of the
svchost.exe processes. Try restarting the WIA service while having the task
manager open and observe which svchost.exe process is stopped/started You
restart services in control panel->admin tools -> Services.

BTW: make sure you have XP SP1 installed. There is a known bug in the WIA
system when running an XP system without service pack 1.

Chr