Toshiba e800 with 2003 SE update

July 10, 2004 7:19:28 PM

Now that toshiba have the 2003 SE update available for download can anyone
comment on how it works with the e800, in particlar the VGA screen?
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 7:19:29 PM

"KingStew" <reply@newsgroup.please> wrote in message:

> Now that toshiba have the 2003 SE update available for download...

I haven't seen this. Can you give us a link to download this update?

Posted Via Binaries.Net Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
http://www.binaries.net
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 7:19:29 PM

It certainly would not suddenly get a VGA screen. That would be a
hardware change. Just because SE supports VGA doesn't change the
hardware in your device. The only difference you are likely to see is
the ability to rotate the display on the screen you have.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/ln_byModel.htm

This is the Toshiba Canada web site.
Or more specifically, for the e800
http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/files_downloads/...

"Middleman" <anonymous> wrote in message news:40f011d6$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> "KingStew" <reply@newsgroup.please> wrote in message:
>
> > Now that toshiba have the 2003 SE update available for download...
>
> I haven't seen this. Can you give us a link to download this update?
>

> Posted Via Binaries.Net Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> http://www.binaries.net
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 10:48:37 AM

I've done the upgrade and have found overall it works quite well. Most of
the programs I've used have just worked; the one that didn't work very well
has since come out with an update that addressed the issue.

I don't like how Microsoft chose to implement some of the VGA features; the
Menu bar and status bar stay the same size, thus wasting a lot of room. The
ability to switch between landscape and portrait mode "on the fly", however,
is nice. I also like the fact that the OS detects applications which can't
effectively run in 640x480 mode, and pixel doubles them so they stay full
screen.

The one complaint I have for PPC 2003SE is that it takes much longer to
boot.

James

"Gary" <gary_mount@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
> http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/ln_byModel.htm
>
> This is the Toshiba Canada web site.
> Or more specifically, for the e800

http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/files_downloads/...

> "Middleman" <anonymous> wrote in message news:40f011d6$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> > "KingStew" <reply@newsgroup.please> wrote in message:
> >
> > > Now that toshiba have the 2003 SE update available for download...
> >
> > I haven't seen this. Can you give us a link to download this update?
> >

> > Posted Via Binaries.Net Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> > ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
> > http://www.binaries.net

July 11, 2004 1:49:23 PM

In news:10f0oo4jc9hvf2c@corp.supernews.com,
Dale DePriest <Dale@gpsinformation.het> typed:
> It certainly would not suddenly get a VGA screen. That would be a
> hardware change. Just because SE supports VGA doesn't change the
> hardware in your device. The only difference you are likely to see is
> the ability to rotate the display on the screen you have.

The e800 has a VGA screen so it does support the VGA stuff in SE.

To answer the original question though, I've tried it and gone back to first
edition. There is *very* little software that runs in true VGA. You can hack
things to run in VGA but then the large bars at the top and bottom, the slow
booting time and the incomaptibilty with some software made me go back.

e800 seems to run best with first edition with myVGA and the UndeadHack
installed.

JJ
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 2:55:08 PM

But Toshiba e800 has VGA screen :)

--

..: Jakub Kanczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:19:28 GMT, in microsoft.public.pocketpc, KingStew
said:

>Now that toshiba have the 2003 SE update available for download can anyone
>comment on how it works with the e800, in particlar the VGA screen?

I've been using the 2003 SE update on my Toshiba e800 for a couple of weeks
now and it's working great with a couple of minor noticeable exceptions no
one else yet mentioned...

Periodically after viewing emails using the "Messaging" application, when I
many emails are present is white except for the messaging icon on the left
side of the screen. Everything else is intact on the Today screen... just
that white bar where the number of messages and account name should appear.
Once this occurs, the only way to restore the screen back to normal is
through a soft-reset.

Before the upgrade, I was using Resco's keyboard application with it's nice
looking and customizable keyboards. After the upgrade I found their
keyboard wouldn't always stay docked at the bottom of the screen, but would
sometimes appear about halfway up the screen. Closing their keyboard and
then reopening it would make it properly re-dock at the bottom where it
belonged. But it would easily un-dock again when switching applications,
etc. This got annoying enough that I uninstalled it and have been using
the default keyboard that comes with 2003 SE. But I'm sure Resco will come
out with an updated keyboard someday.

I really like the resolution of the VGA screen... pretty amazing for such a
small device.

Regards,

John L.
Shoreline, WA
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 4:04:06 PM

"James Akiyama" <james_akiyama@prodigy.net> wrote in message:

> The one complaint I have for PPC 2003SE is that it takes much
> longer to boot

SE is Bloatware!

They've inceased CPU overhead, now we need to uprade our hardware again!

Sounds all too familiar ;o)

-J.Middleman

Posted Via Binaries.Net Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
http://www.binaries.net
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 11:03:55 PM

"John A. Landry" <gyroREMIVETHISpilot001@earthlink.net> wrote in message :

> Periodically after viewing emails using the "Messaging" application, when
> many emails are present is white except for the messaging icon on the left
> side of the screen. Everything else is intact on the Today screen... just
> that white bar where the number of messages and account name should
appear.
> Once this occurs, the only way to restore the screen back to normal is
> through a soft-reset.

Confirmed... My e800 does the same.

!