One pc two os different bits ?

improvingathenos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I've installed Win 7 64x and would like to know if as a second os can I install Windows XP 32x, got a few programs that won't run on 64.
Thanks in advance.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Same HDD or a secondary one? With HDDs as cheap as they are, I would recommend buying and installing another HDD just for your XP x86 installation, it is just easier that way. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you already have Win7 installed, you may need to format the current HDD in order to repartition it into two separate primary partitions. And depending on your computer specs, it may support XP Virtual Machine, in which you can run older programs.

jerryman

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

You can dualboot W7 64 & XP 32 you will have to get drivers for the correct OS installed on each side of the partition as in drivers for W7 go to the W7 side drivers for XP on the XP side.
http://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/

improvingathenos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

This is good advice but it would only work if I had win 7 Pro or Ultimate, I have the home edition. I am going to get a second hard drive, that might make it easier for a second os. Thanks.

improvingathenos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Great link thanks.

vmplayer will do what you want probably, create the virtual machine to install the OS onto, insert the disk and it'll allow you to run without having to dual boot.