Sign in with
Your question

One pc two os different bits ?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 5, 2011 6:31:20 PM

I've installed Win 7 64x and would like to know if as a second os can I install Windows XP 32x, got a few programs that won't run on 64.
Thanks in advance.

More about : bits

February 5, 2011 6:38:10 PM

Same HDD or a secondary one? With HDDs as cheap as they are, I would recommend buying and installing another HDD just for your XP x86 installation, it is just easier that way. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you already have Win7 installed, you may need to format the current HDD in order to repartition it into two separate primary partitions. And depending on your computer specs, it may support XP Virtual Machine, in which you can run older programs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2011 10:27:28 PM

vmware or virtual PC, unless you want access to GPU.
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2011 12:37:24 PM

improvingathenos said:
I've installed Win 7 64x and would like to know if as a second os can I install Windows XP 32x, got a few programs that won't run on 64.
Thanks in advance.

You can dualboot W7 64 & XP 32 you will have to get drivers for the correct OS installed on each side of the partition as in drivers for W7 go to the W7 side drivers for XP on the XP side.
http://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/
m
l
February 8, 2011 12:58:07 PM

Alaskan_IT said:
Same HDD or a secondary one? With HDDs as cheap as they are, I would recommend buying and installing another HDD just for your XP x86 installation, it is just easier that way. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if you already have Win7 installed, you may need to format the current HDD in order to repartition it into two separate primary partitions. And depending on your computer specs, it may support XP Virtual Machine, in which you can run older programs.

This is good advice but it would only work if I had win 7 Pro or Ultimate, I have the home edition. I am going to get a second hard drive, that might make it easier for a second os. Thanks.
m
l
February 8, 2011 1:03:40 PM

13thmonkey said:
vmware or virtual PC, unless you want access to GPU.

I still don't know enough about this stuff so this was a great help, thanks I'm going for the vmware its easy.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 8, 2011 4:59:50 PM

improvingathenos said:
I still don't know enough about this stuff so this was a great help, thanks I'm going for the vmware its easy.

vmplayer will do what you want probably, create the virtual machine to install the OS onto, insert the disk and it'll allow you to run without having to dual boot.
m
l
!