DVD-CD combo not reading disk anymore

I have a Lite-on 832S. Had for a few months and it was working fine then
last week I discovered it doesn't work anymore. I've tried everying except
uninstall sp2 which I may do soon. A lot of rumors that sp2 slowly distroys
Lite-on DVD drives. Don't know if this is true or not but I've had this DVD
drive since August and as far as I know it worked fine until now. Anyone
have any ideas. Manufacturer told me to send it back to the retail store.
(lots of help)
1 answer Last reply
More about combo reading disk anymore

    Carey thanks for the info. I've tried using multiple disks (blank, movies,
    MS CD...), I also updated the firmware, and my DVD software but it still
    doesn't read. I haven't tried to clean the DVD player yet and I will try
    that this afternoon when I get home. Hopefully that works, but if not I have
    already contacted the retailer (Newegg.com) about my problem. If nothing
    works then hopefully I can get a replacement.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Q. "A lot of rumors that sp2 slowly destroys Lite-on DVD drives."
    >
    > A. Untrue. My Lite-On CD/DVD drives performs flawlessly with SP2 installed.
    > Either you are using poor quality CD/DVD media, or your Lite-On unit is
    > defective. Try upgrading the firmware and updating your DVD recording software.
    > Ref: http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_firmware_dvd%20rw.asp
    > FAQ: http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/English/e_service/e_dvd%20rw%20faq.asp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Curt760" wrote:
    >
    > | I have a Lite-on 832S. Had for a few months and it was working fine then
    > | last week I discovered it doesn't work anymore. I've tried everying except
    > | uninstall sp2 which I may do soon. A lot of rumors that sp2 slowly distroys
    > | Lite-on DVD drives. Don't know if this is true or not but I've had this DVD
    > | drive since August and as far as I know it worked fine until now. Anyone
    > | have any ideas. Manufacturer told me to send it back to the retail store.
    > | (lots of help)

Liteon CD-Rom Windows XP