Win XP reports no floppy & no CD??????

I have just upgraded my Win XP Pro installation to SP2 and everything worked
fine after re-booting until I noticed that Explorer does not show my floppy
drive or DVD drive nor do these devices appear in Device Manager. I have
tried rebooting to see if the system identifies them but this does not work.
I have even done an iupgrade re-instal of windows but that does not help
either.

Can anyone please offer some suggestions before I resort to clean instal?

Check in the BIOS set up to see if the floppy drive is enabled.

Also check to see if the IDE/SATA channel is enabled in the BIOS so that XP
can find the DVD drive.

"Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have just upgraded my Win XP Pro installation to SP2 and everything
>worked fine after re-booting until I noticed that Explorer does not show my
>floppy drive or DVD drive nor do these devices appear in Device Manager. I
>have tried rebooting to see if the system identifies them but this does not
>work. I have even done an iupgrade re-instal of windows but that does not
>help either.
>
> Can anyone please offer some suggestions before I resort to clean instal?

That was the first thing I did when Windows failed to show the floppy and
the DVD drive. Bios shows that both exist and both appear correctly during
POST. Moreover, if I insert a bootable floppy of a bootable CD/DVD then
both work during boot up!

In essence, the problems is with Windows XP Pro SP2 not recognising that the
removable drives exist. The real interesting thing is that both devices are
present in Windows registry but Windows still does not recognise them!

> Check in the BIOS set up to see if the floppy drive is enabled.
>
> Also check to see if the IDE/SATA channel is enabled in the BIOS so that
> XP can find the DVD drive.
>
> "Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I have just upgraded my Win XP Pro installation to SP2 and everything
>>worked fine after re-booting until I noticed that Explorer does not show
>>my floppy drive or DVD drive nor do these devices appear in Device
>>Manager. I have tried rebooting to see if the system identifies them but
>>this does not work. I have even done an iupgrade re-instal of windows but
>>that does not help either.
>>
>> Can anyone please offer some suggestions before I resort to clean instal?

Hi RC,

Neither the floppy nor the CD/DVD show up in Disk Management and I do not,
and have never, used TweakUI. But thank you for the suggestion. I have
also been told via another source that Nero often conflicts with Adaptec to
cause exactly this problem. However, altough I do have Adaptec products
(SCSI controller and drives only) I do not have Nero and so that cannot be
the cause of the problem either.

I shall continue to search and will post back a solution if I find one.
However, a complete re-install takes about a day (operating system and all
software etc) so if I have no solution by tomorrow then I will perform a
clean instal of Windows.

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Stan.
>
> Does the CD/DVD drive show up in Disk Management?
>
> Are you using TweakUI? That offers a setting to not display specific
> drives; some users (including myself) have used this and then forgotten we
> did it. <blush> They should still show up in Device Manager, though.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> That was the first thing I did when Windows failed to show the floppy and
>> the DVD drive. Bios shows that both exist and both appear correctly
>> during POST. Moreover, if I insert a bootable floppy of a bootable
>> CD/DVD then both work during boot up!
>>
>> In essence, the problems is with Windows XP Pro SP2 not recognising that
>> the removable drives exist. The real interesting thing is that both
>> devices are present in Windows registry but Windows still does not
>> recognise them!
>>
>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>>> Check in the BIOS set up to see if the floppy drive is enabled.
>>>
>>> Also check to see if the IDE/SATA channel is enabled in the BIOS so that
>>> XP can find the DVD drive.
>>>
>>> "Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Hi RC,

I have now tried an "in place upgrade" but that failed to too. As a result
of all my failed attempts I concluded ( just a wild guess!) that there must
be a driver conflict causing this problem so decided to see what effect
there was from removing applications one by one and re-booting. Eventually,
I found that removing Alcohol 120 fixed the problem. Subseqeuntly, a visit
to the forums on the Alcohol web site revealed that this is is registered as
a problem when Adaptec products are present. I discovered that the key is
to install Alcohol 120 AFTER everything else is installed. During the
Alcohol installation process up pops a message that Windows has found a new
SCSI device (i.e. Alcohol has over written the driver but Windows then
identifies the SCSI controller again and re-instals the drivers). The
Alcohol installation process then pauses whilst the SCSI driver
re-installation takes place and then completes it's installation.
Subseqeuntly everything works fine.

So, many thanks to everyone who has offered help and I hope my experiences
and solution may be of value to others.